Pros/Cons PBR Viewer whats your take

Jase Devin

Pros

Better looking Graphics maybe later - when bugs are worked out.

Advancing the game technology wise - when bugs are worked out.

I read they have offloaded some tasks so they are using multi-threaded(more than 1 cpu).

Cons

Bad implementation not even Beta material this is Alpha.

Forcing New Users who want to try the game to download this Alpha Release.

Poor Performance for the current user base making it unplayable for over 50% of them.

Not considering the fundamental basics of the game, which is this is a Social Game. Being a Social Game you don't stand in a cornfield by yourself , you are social, meaning you go to places with other Avatars. Avatars make the most lag.

So what are the choices?

You can continue to play SL on your old machine on Low for most. Turn off the PBR stuff.

So this achieved the opposite effect of what a gaming software company should achieve. They should be patching and delivering better performance every step of the way in their development. Bettering the system and bringing in new users/retaining old users to build the game/company/economy.

For High End users they could run at High but will have problems once they see other Avatars.

Again the opposite intended effect, the CEO head honcho who ever at Linden Labs job is to increase sales. That's his job no matter what anyone thinks, a CEO is increasing sales, because if hes not, hes out of a job. So when you go to be social hear everyone will be crashing, sooner or later when things get to hot, buffers get too full, pagfile explodes etc etc..

What should happen?

This release should stay on the Beta-Testing shelf till it can bring added value to the game, its users and its economy.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jase Devin said:

For High End users they could run at High but will have problems once they see other Avatars.

Nah. I am a LL Viewer user, with BPR since its release and have no  problems seeing other avatars. Or anything for that matter.

Next.

Edited by Caitlin Tobias
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Jase Devin said:

Poor Performance for the current user base making it unplayable for over 50% of them.

I am certainly very aware that some people have computers that are struggling with the new viewers, but where on earth did you get that stat from????

Your argument would be more convincing if you weren't simply making things up, maybe?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am certainly very aware that some people have computers that are struggling with the new viewers, but where on earth did you get that stat from????

Your argument would be more convincing if you weren't simply making things up, maybe?

If you know 5 people, and 3 of them say it's slow, that's over 50%.

So, without knowing the "sample size", it could be anywhere between 3 and infinity.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you know 5 people, and 3 of them say it's slow, that's over 50%.

So, without knowing the "sample size", it could be anywhere between 3 and infinity.

Are you pleading guilty to LL's figures for how many of us use an Awful Mac whyPhone?

Nope! I am challenging the OP's figures of:

I am stating that for all we know, "50%" could refer to "50%" of 3 random people they asked.

Yeah I'm a novice just throwing out numbers...

You know what I've done since FS7 came out. Helped friends fix their nightmares and I watch the poor Firestorm Support group and help too.

I go to clubs too and regular friends, I was being conservative with my numbers.

My friends that I see everyday for a year or more 4 out of 5 , it totally wasted their experience.

Were getting 30-40 fps now in the single digits, every last one of them.

Only the high end users are surviving, but even then they were at 60-100 fps in the club, now at 30 and crashing a lot and their tower is a raging heat pump now.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ocean Starchild said:

Really? My hair and glasses fall off of my avatars head in pbr reflective mirrors. 
https://gyazo.com/64471470d6633b98ddb4757ec37f53b3

mirrors are a total wasted effort. LL is doomed if that is the sort of crap they are pushing as the future of Second Life.

Plus all the PBR stuff is giving me a headache. I uninstalled the latest firestorm because it kept messing up the setting on my older version, and twice I logged in as a cloud because the folder with all my body parts was empty after using the new version.

PBR, never, I'll live in a plywood world first

• Like 4

PBR works for me but I understand that SL has many players who don't have high-end graphics. Whenever LL makes big graphics changes they knock out many people who actually like SL and want to stay. There are a lot of games out there that purposefully have simpler graphics. A higher pool of compatible users is always a good strategy. I think the answer is not for LL to abandon PBR but to make the graphics sliders allow players who don't want PBR to still have a very good experience. This has always been the route that LL takes to keep residents and they need to continue with it. Heck, they're courting the mobile crowd which definitely doesn't have high-end graphics. SL needs good low-end graphics compatibility.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

mirrors are a total wasted effort. LL is doomed if that is the sort of crap they are pushing as the future of Second Life.

Plus all the PBR stuff is giving me a headache. I uninstalled the latest firestorm because it kept messing up the setting on my older version, and twice I logged in as a cloud because the folder with all my body parts was empty after using the new version.

idk, I can see value in it. I operate a park in Kama City and I do think it's a graphical improvement, even without mirrors. Granted I have a high end card, but even then it gets HOT. It just feels rushed, like they weren't getting enough feedback during beta or they wanted it to line up with SL21, regardless of completion. This reflection issue I only happened to notice last night, the video I shared was actually me noticing it live while trying to make a short video to show PBR off to someone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Pro is it uses a lot more of my GPU. Con is it uses a lot more of my GPU and I don't feel like it adds anything to my experience at the moment. OK, my shiny stuff looks pretty and a lot of my decor looks more detailed and realistic. But using 98% of my GPU changes what I can do with an SL client running.

Pro: I am actually inspired to upgrade my GPU. (2060 Super) 

Con: I have to actually pay for a new GPU.

Edited by missyrideout
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

Pro is it uses a lot more of my GPU. Con is it uses a lot more of my GPU and I don't feel like it adds anything to my experience at the moment. OK, my shiny stuff looks pretty and a lot of my decor looks more detailed and realistic. But using 98% of my GPU changes what I can do with an SL client running.

Pro: I am actually inspired to upgrade my GPU. (2060 Super) 

Con: I have to actually pay for a new GPU.

You could also dual-boot Linux. A portion of your GPU power is actually being used by the dead weight that is Windows

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

PBR works for me but I understand that SL has many players who don't have high-end graphics. Whenever LL makes big graphics changes they knock out many people who actually like SL and want to stay. There are a lot of games out there that purposefully have simpler graphics. A higher pool of compatible users is always a good strategy. I think the answer is not for LL to abandon PBR but to make the graphics sliders allow players who don't want PBR to still have a very good experience. This has always been the route that LL takes to keep residents and they need to continue with it. Heck, they're courting the mobile crowd which definitely doesn't have high-end graphics. SL needs good low-end graphics compatibility.

Good Idea, well put!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jase Devin said:

Yeah I'm a novice just throwing out numbers...

You know what I've done since FS7 came out. Helped friends fix their nightmares and I watch the poor Firestorm Support group and help too.

I go to clubs too and regular friends, I was being conservative with my numbers.

My friends that I see everyday for a year or more 4 out of 5 , it totally wasted their experience.

Were getting 30-40 fps now in the single digits, every last one of them.

Only the high end users are surviving, but even then they were at 60-100 fps in the club, now at 30 and crashing a lot and their tower is a raging heat pump now.

Strange that nobody is talking about how fluent is goes ... I have no issues with stuttering at 30 fps on the FireStorm Viewer, but the hell is the non PBR viewer of Alchemy choppy at 70 fps in the same place with the same amount of people.

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Don't you want wall mirrors around your bed ?

• Haha 6

I have a pretty good PC, bought just a week ago for £1000. An I5-3400 with an RTX 4060

My first experience of PBR viewer was logging in to a sailstice event. On the recommended graphics setting my FPS were between 5 and 10.

I had to drop settings down to one dot above medium get things back to useable.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

I have a pretty good PC, bought just a week ago for £1000. An I5-3400 with an RTX 4060

My first experience of PBR viewer was logging in to a sailstice event. On the recommended graphics setting my FPS were between 5 and 10.

I had to drop settings down to one dot above medium get things back to useable.

I'm not being mean here, but did you reall pay 1000 pounds for a 3rd gen i5 system or is that a typo?

• Like 1