PBR Beauty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Adaarye Shikami said:

Is this "NEW" PBR whatsits and such why my head won't stay attached and why my hairbase is missing every time I relog..  basically my avatar is ripped apart every time I log out and log back in.

Oh no! Now PBR is making avatars explode!

Don't let the PBR naysayers hear about this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have nVidia GTX 3080 with I believe 8gb vRam, 32 GB of ram and an I9. What's up? What are the current suggested rig specs for this new stuff?

Your specs should be more than enough to run the new PBR viewer.

my head won't stay attached and why my hairbase is missing every time I relog.

This sounds more like a network issue, as if you're attaching things in your viewer but those changes aren't properly registering server-side, so when the client and server syncs up again they mysteriously detach themselves?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Your specs should be more than enough to run the new PBR viewer.

I'd rather say: just about right...

32GB of RAM and 8GB of VRAM are pretty much a minimum, now...

I got 64GB of RAM, which is more than enough (but since the viewers can eat up 24GB in complex scenes, 32GB is indeed a minimum), but I am starting to feel limited with the 8GB of VRAM: see this other post of mine about large venues (such as at SL21B). 😵‍💫

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

I'd rather say: just about right...

32GB of RAM and 8GB of VRAM are pretty much a minimum, now...

I got 64GB of RAM, which is more than enough (but since the viewers can eat up 24GB in complex scenes, 32GB is indeed a minimum), but I am starting to feel limited with the 8GB of VRAM: see this other post of mine about large venues (such as at SL21B). 😵‍💫

Maybe you're right but I suspect it depends somewhat on peoples expectations (I know I'd be a lot happier with those specs in comparison to what I have now but I guess YMMV).

It does seem as though reports are varying wildly, with some folks on seemingly "lesser hardware" reporting better performance than those using more powerful machines, so I suspect that individual settings and peoples expectations of how well their computers should run on the "super-ultra-extreme-pro!" graphics preset with 512m draw distance, etc is a factor rather than it just being an equally terrible experience for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those of us who like to edit things: It is a huge box of free PBR textures on the Marketplace. Literally thousands.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Creative-Commons-CC0-PBR-Materials-Pack-2964-Free-PBR-Materials/25543879

I haven't tried many, but this is a deck texture, "wooden planks" and I think I will use this on something, I like the look. I first bought one and one, before I saw that box. I am trying texturing with PBR on things I already own.

deckwood_002.thumb.png.56fcb54099f46acc1414104021ed71fa.pngdeckwood_001.thumb.png.58362a044479fb3fc5d78c56d78fa4ee.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

I guess until I get a new computer I'll have to leave SL on a back burner and stop buying Lindens. There's no point, lol. It's all good though. I have plenty to keep me occupied. There are so many awesome new games being released this year.

It's just a shame. I've been here for 21 years.

bye.jpeg

Edited by Adaarye Shikami
Add puppers and correct typo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Adaarye Shikami said:

I guess until I get a new computer I'll have to leave SL on a back burner and stop buying Lindens. There's no point, lol.

Try the Cool VL Viewer. Not only does it allow to use the now legacy forward and ALM modes/renderer, but it also provides basic fallbacks for PBR-only stuff in these modes: PBR terrain, PBR-only objects without a fallback diffuse texture or ALM material.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Adaarye Shikami said:

I guess until I get a new computer I'll have to leave SL on a back burner and stop buying Lindens. There's no point, lol. It's all good though. I have plenty to keep me occupied. There are so many awesome new games being released this year.

bye.jpeg

Or you can adjust your graphics for your machine.  Turn off the mirrors and shadows, lower your draw distance, etc.  Also, be sure to whitelist the viewer.

https://www.firestormviewer.org/firestorm-gets-physical-for-a-happy-21st-sl-birthday/

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Adaarye Shikami said:

bye.jpeg

Yes try coolvl turn off PBR settings, you should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Does the updated Firestorm with PBR settings turned off run exactly the same as the previous version? I haven't yet updated it as I currently need to use low graphics settings so was worried the new update might be even more taxing for my PC.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sadvhi said:

Does the updated Firestorm with PBR settings turned off run exactly the same as the previous version? I haven't yet updated it as I currently need to use low graphics settings so was worried the new update might be even more taxing for my PC.

You can't turn off ALM with the newest Firestorm PBR viewer.  You can turn off some things like shadows amd mirrors,.though.  It will be more taxing on your machine if you've always run without ALM on previously.

• Like 2

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

You can't turn off ALM with the newest Firestorm PBR viewer.  You can turn off some things like shadows amd mirrors,.though.  It will be more taxing on your machine if you've always run without ALM on previously.

I was wondering about people who recently say they "turned off ALM".  I figured they really mean something like they "turned off shadows".

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Only the Cool VL viewer has the ability to turn off the PBR view and then ALM. It does make for a significant FPS difference.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Only the Cool VL viewer has the ability to turn off the PBR view and then ALM. It does make for a significant FPS difference.

A lot of.people might have to switch to that viewer or just remain on the older Firestorm.for now.  I didn't really notice much of a difference in fps myself, thank god.  

• Like 2

On the topic of PBR beauty, I love how my ring is now able to reflect light. Such a cool, subtle touch of realism. I didn't like the idea of PBR at first, but the more I play with it the more I enjoy it.

view_002.png.fb1827861e6692932d4395091c10112a.png    view_003.png.f2e293b7c50b3052e54812923bdea7fd.png

• Like 5

Have a set of hanging pots, some of which are copper, and lucky me - it turns out that the copper bits are all their own faces, so I was able to swap them out for PBR ones. I imagine the steel bits are as well, but I haven't PBR'd them yet.

Look!:465c7a17586d0a6e0369499d4ec33f72.jpg

Look at the lighting detail on that copper compared to the rest of the pots and pans, though!

EDIT: And now an update where I've done the stainless steel bits PBR as well: 

0b0e6e384f8bee74c9a60d2c1e174323.jpg

Edited by stlshayne
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

hehe, I really expected a different thread when I spotted this one. Thought it'd be a picture thread (there have been some nice ones) and/or "good places to see PBR in world" thread (I need to check out Libentia).  

So, this is an experiment with mirrors. I wanted a shot with three mirrors, all at slightly different angles (the two side mirrors are 25 deg. off from the main one). The only way I could do that, and replicate the particular perspective each mirror would show, was to take three shots, and blend them.

Overall, I'm not unhappy with the results, although I rather wish I'd taken more time over the composition, so that the mirrors were reflecting something more interesting. (This might be a redo.)

A couple of notes. The drag on my computer with settings at ultra AND the mirror at high resolution was formidable, so I had to take this at about a third of the resolution I usually use. I'm also not entirely happy with the appearance of the reflections, but they're better than I thought they might be. And finally, it was interesting to discover the effect of local lights on the mirrors (you can see the glare at the top of the right hand one), which I will need to experiment with.

Anyway, not terrible? I can make use of this.

Vanity(Simple)Blank.thumb.png.779d1c5962c8dd861ac44eb533e88c28.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 78 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.