SL should have object decay

5 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

so I knew you'd pull this sort of reply.

You don't KNOW what sort of reply I posted because, as you admitted.

5 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

Too long didn't read.

So, on to the rest of your BS.

6 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

I'm sure you're aware that scripting knows no limits

I know nothing of the sort, LSL scripting has all kinds of limits. Ask any scripter.

13 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

like putting anti-auto return scripts in their objects

Oh dear, well there's no such thing as an "anti-auto-return" script, all a scripted object can do is replace it's self by rezzing a copy of it's self, which isn't the same thing you described at all.

7 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

I've seen it done many times in the Blake Sea's info-hubs specifically,

You were "hypothetically" kvetching about a mega prim being in your way, when it's on privately owned land, owned by somebody you've decided isn't coming back, as justification for you wanting the right to delete other peoples builds from THEIR land.

Now you're ranting about info-hubs. That's called "Shifting the Goal Posts" and it shows you've run out of fraudulent arguments for your losing position.

10 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

knowing how your 'type' works.

Yeah, right, I suspect your knowledge of my "type" is as limited as the knowledge you've displayed about Abuse Reporting encroachment, or LSL Scripting.

15 minutes ago, Simo Vodopan said:

I've been in SL for 2006 years

Really? you've been in SL for 1985 years longer than it's existed? and yet you've learned SO LITTLE.

Outstanding.

Not gonna reply to 16 pages of arguing, but SL already has a form of decay timer; If you stop paying, your parcel goes away. Lots of areas of the mainland are abandoned for this very reason. 

Decay timers in games serve to ensure that real estate that is taken is taken by active players to avoid there being a limited supply. SL doesn't have this problem to fix. There's ample supply on the mainland. 

It sounds like the issue at hand is more about there being a more cohesive and appealing mainland. I don't think that's really going to be something a decay timer would tackle.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dragon Mommy said:

Not gonna reply to 16 pages of arguing, but SL already has a form of decay timer; If you stop paying, your parcel goes away. Lots of areas of the mainland are abandoned for this very reason. 

Decay timers in games serve to ensure that real estate that is taken is taken by active players to avoid there being a limited supply. SL doesn't have this problem to fix. There's ample supply on the mainland. 

It sounds like the issue at hand is more about there being a more cohesive and appealing mainland. I don't think that's really going to be something a decay timer would tackle.

Come to think of it. I might go explore some abandoned parcels and see what I find. It could be interesting as a small hobby.

1 minute ago, Simo Vodopan said:

I might go explore some abandoned parcels and see what I find.

When I was new-ish in SL, I used to do that sort of thing. Sometimes it felt like being in one of those post-apocalyptic movies (I like those). Occasionally, the parcels were even supposed to give that impression.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rick Nightingale said:

When I was new-ish in SL, I used to do that sort of thing. Sometimes it felt like being in one of those post-apocalyptic movies (I like those). Occasionally, the parcels were even supposed to give that impression.

Now thats a vibe right there. I love it when things are purposely done like that. The very little details. A object with seemingly no story has a story behind it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simo Vodopan said:

Now thats a vibe right there. I love it when things are purposely done like that. The very little details. A object with seemingly no story has a story behind it.

Well you don't know all the stories behind the supposed "abandoned" parcel.  Would it satisfy your love of these parcels if they erected a sign with an explanation of the build? 

3 minutes ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

Well you don't know all the stories behind the supposed "abandoned" parcel.  Would it satisfy your love of these parcels if they erected a sign with an explanation of the build? 

Nope, thats the magic of discovering what happened for yourself that makes it so intriguing. The object may look like its just there, but we don't know whats been going on with that object unless we dig beneath the surface.

• Confused 1

Eeehh...

Wandering the lost and forgotten places comes with a lot of sadness, loss and grief. Builds left as they were because someone didn't have the heart to pull them down, paying the tier just to keep a memory alive, proof that someone was here, once.

SL can get pretty dark if you dig too deeply.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Eeehh...

Wandering the lost and forgotten places comes with a lot of sadness, loss and grief. Builds left as they were because someone didn't have the heart to pull them down, paying the tier just to keep a memory alive, proof that someone was here, once.

SL can get pretty dark if you dig too deeply.

I know that feeling all too well. Sometimes I go to old places out of nostalgia and its eerie. I've lost a couple of friends in SL in over the years due to different reasons and when traveling through the areas they used to walk its not exactly the same experience as it once was before.

• Like 1

I was very skeptical after reading the first few pages, and reading somewhere in the middle. Mostly the usual arguments spawned from complete disregard to SL’s design and feature. But after a few more moments of reflection I couldn’t help but remember SL’s Premium Lifer accounts have had at least two rounds sale. 20B wasn’t the only time. There are diminishing ancient references to the earlier 2003’s.

And that begs the question what kind of hole does the Lab dig itself over time with deceased Lifer’s that it does not know for sure are deceased. And telling the difference between the deceased, and alive but ignoring.

A bunch of free tier tied to an account that owes no money. Most discussions I have had with friends on “historic places” in Second Life, or places seemingly untouched in the ages, usually don’t tackle this specific problem generating issue.

Had the OP articulated the conversation relevant to Second Life’s design instead of “I like X in other service therefore all services should be the same” (and they never should be) this thread might have been wildly different. Even if a bit more boring for the lovers of useless chaos.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NaomiLocket said:

I was very skeptical after reading the first few pages, and reading somewhere in the middle. Mostly the usual arguments spawned from complete disregard to SL’s design and feature. But after a few more moments of reflection I couldn’t help but remember SL’s Premium Lifer accounts have had at least two rounds sale. 20B wasn’t the only time. There are diminishing ancient references to the earlier 2003’s.

And that begs the question what kind of hole does the Lab dig itself over time with deceased Lifer’s that it does not know for sure are deceased. And telling the difference between the deceased, and alive but ignoring.

A bunch of free tier tied to an account that owes no money. Most discussions I have had with friends on “historic places” in Second Life, or places seemingly untouched in the ages, usually don’t tackle this specific problem generating issue.

Had the OP articulated the conversation relevant to Second Life’s design instead of “I like X in other service therefore all services should be the same” (and they never should be) this thread might have been wildly different. Even if a bit more boring for the lovers of useless chaos.

It wasn't until almost 10 pages in did anyone calm down enough to have a civil discussion about it without making up nonsense that wasn't even in the post. Says a lot more about our forum members than it does about my phrasing, I think.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

It was a half page of decent discussion before someone came in raging, attacking, and making stuff up. 

Is that 3 different someone's, or one overachiever? Asking for a friend.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It wasn't until almost 10 pages in did anyone calm down enough to have a civil discussion about it without making up nonsense that wasn't even in the post. Says a lot more about our forum members than it does about my phrasing, I think.

These things take time, especially for contentious topics. Sometimes I don't have ideas until 20+ pages in.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sometimes I don't have ideas until 20+ pages in.

That's exactly the how a good discussion should work!  Everyone tosses out ideas because even a bad idea or one that is not well thought out can lead to a new idea for someone else. A discussion builds and flows. A person can consider an idea that they don't necessarily believe in and no one needs to be attacked or humiliated in the process.

Like adults

• Like 2

On 6/14/2024 at 10:06 AM, Paul Hexem said:

I don't know if you're into drinking games, but I say follow one of the Linden routes with say... 128 draw distance and take a shot every time you see the default plywood texture.

Drunk just thinking of this one D:....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

That's exactly the how a good discussion should work!  Everyone tosses out ideas because even a bad idea or one that is not well thought out can lead to a new idea for someone else. A discussion builds and flows. A person can consider an idea that they don't necessarily believe in and no one needs to be attacked or humiliated in the process.

Like adults

That isn't these forums. That's never been these forums.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

And then you have the people who DO say something offensive or demeaning, insist they didn't, shown they did and then never say "Oops, sorry.  I guess I did actually say that".  When they do it repeatedly, you tend to disregard most things they say after awhile.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:
3 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Like adults

That isn't these forums. That's never been these forums.

Give yourself some credit!

• Thanks 1

I mean I just get annoyed with the ideas that come out. Yeah, I could have handled it way better and I let my emotions get the best of me here. However, I still stand by what I said. I think that this whole idea as a whole, is not the best idea. I mean I get that people don't like certain builds and that is fine. But I don't think enabling residents to bulldoze land that they don't pay for, after a certain period of time that the person is there. Is a great idea, and is a very slippery slope. I mean first we have that, then we have people going, we need to have it where users can just return it cause they don't like it or the person. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2024 at 7:33 AM, Paul Hexem said:

One feature I really like about certain building games I think would be a wonderful addition to Second Life: Object decay.

If you've never experienced this in games, it's a feature where if the owner of a placed object (either individual or group) has not logged in for X amount of time (X being configurable by server owners) the object can be removed by anyone.

This allows users to remove abandoned builds that might be blocking access or views or whatever. Certain objects can of course be locked and protected by admins to bypass decay.

Naturally the dynamics of SL would require the decay timer to be much much longer than in most games, but with the new mainland covenant making it seem like they have plans for making some changes, now's the time to enact it.

Decay is for game servers like Rust and Ark to keep the landscape relatively clean of derelict 'bases', to help combat inflation by creating scarcity, discouraging people from building massive bases (or at least penalizing large clans by charging a sort of maintenance tax), and perhaps as a venture to get players to login and play more frequently because they have to 'repair' those things.

In general, if a user is paying for their property, and not breaking the Covenant of the land they are paying for.. then all the stuff must be left there. No one has a right to touch it, remove it or degrade it.

A possible solution to that is related to a Feature Request to only load in the parcel that you are currently in, and to not render any builds outside of it.

Suggestion: Load Only the Parcel You Are At

If the user was promised 'free' or land in perpetuity, yet have not logged in in years or decades, I don't see a problem with a solution like:

Emailing them with 'updated terms' in maintaining their perpetual property. Such as having a requirement to log in at least once every 6 months (or longer) to prove that they are even alive.

Sure, some exceptions may have become homeless, gone to prison, and I'm sure they'd understand ( even if disappointed) why such a policy was updated.

In General as a response? I don't care, I'm not affected personally,  I don't notice or care about 'ugly builds' when and  if I dare to fly  over mainland and the minefield of security orbs to warp me back home at any moment...

BUT

Perhaps that feature request I posted could go along way to making you and others happy (and me too in a similar circumstance of ugly neighbour builds) - and wouldn't affect those users at all nor would they be at risk of losing their stuff for any reason.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Is a great idea, and is a very slippery slope. I mean first we have that, then we have people going, we need to have it where users can just return it cause they don't like it or the person. 

You don't think we would have fallen down that slope after being able to return encroaching stuff was enabled?

1 minute ago, Codex Alpha said:

and wouldn't affect those users at all nor would they be at risk of losing their stuff for any reason.

Is it really "losing" it if it's just autoreturned as a coalesced object that can be dropped back in?