LL has sucked all the fun out of it.

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Only mentioning this because it came up earlier in the thread - https://www.pcgamer.com/software/windows/microsoft-changes-course-on-the-controversial-windows-11-feature-that-constantly-takes-screenshots-of-your-pcs-screen-now-youll-have-to-opt-in-if-you-want-to-use-it/

To bring that back around to SL - companies know this IM/chat/PC monitoring stuff isn't popular and they're often fiddling with and adjusting their "tools" as a result. Chat monitoring CAN make sense in some ways, for legal/law enforcement purposes. I've seen it used during a criminal trial to score a successful conviction in a murder case (they had gotten copies of private Kik messages and used them as evidence).

Buuuuut yeah, there are definitely privacy and security issues to think about. IF they decide to go that route in SL, they'll hopefully give us more info about that part, especially.

I suspect any tools will be used AFTER an AR has been filed.  If someone thinks avatars are engaged in AP and files a report, LL will then use whatever tools the decide on to monitor THOSE particular resident's chat logs.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I suspect any tools will be used AFTER an AR has been filed.  If someone thinks avatars are engaged in AP and files a report, LL will then use whatever tools the decide on to monitor THOSE particular resident's chat logs.  

Yeah, that's another way they could do it, sure! Hopefully, we'll get more transparency on that (and any updates to privacy/security).

• Like 3

I was always under the assumption that chat and IM logs were kept by LL for some amount of time, so that they could reference them for abuse report investigations, rather than depending on resident submissions of chats or IM's (which could have been modified by the submitting resident).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I was always under the assumption that chat and IM logs were kept by LL for some amount of time, so that they could reference them for abuse report investigations, rather than depending on resident submissions of chats or IM's (which could have been modified by the submitting resident).

I always assumed the same thing, so they could be impartial and unbiased in their investigation of each report. I honestly don't see an issue with that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Where? When?

Receipts please.

You can check my IM's when I was a Greeter in another grid and in conversation with new people coming over after they could no longer access their SL account. Those seemed to come in batches especially after some LL ToS change.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

ToS associated document? A wiki that may or may not have been superseded with new one that is also not linked to the ToS? I didn't agree to that.

Whether you and others realize it or not, the faq on the policy change is still undergoing revisions and as much as much as some would like to say it is a done deal, it isn't. At this point the thread(s) may still be looked at to see what might need clarification.

Yes, there are 17 linked related policy documents that are included as part of the Second Life Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Section 8, https://secondlife.com/app/tos/tos.php

IMG_7994.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You can check my IM's

Right. I'll just get on to that . . .

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Those seemed to come in batches especially after some LL ToS change.

So, how large were these waves of self-identifying victims of yet another SL purge?

2? 5? 10?

29 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Some of the questions in this thread need answering by Lindens. Neither you nor other residents know what the Labs answers are to some of them in spite of the conjecturing that you do. You're pretending to know something you don't.

Then I would suggest that you submit a support ticket and ask whatever specific questions you need answered.  This is a resident forum and you know this.  That or you could go to a governance meeting and ask.  

There is just too much time that has been wasted on both you and @BilliJo Aldrin to try and assure you that whatever RP, height, choice of dress is ok for YOU.  Use your common sense.  

This thread just needs to be closed. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Yes, there are 17 linked related policy documents that are included as part of the Second Life Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service.

Section 8, https://secondlife.com/app/tos/tos.php

IMG_7994.jpeg

Sensitive or Special Category Data

We generally do not actively seek any sensitive or special category data from you, but we may be exposed to it pursuant to your use of the Services. For example, if when using our chat functions or other communication services, you choose to discuss your political views, sexual orientation or other sensitive or special category data, this will be collected by us as with any other information in the communications. If you would not like this information to be accessible by us, we encourage you not to disclose it through the use of the Services or otherwise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Right. I'll just get on to that . . .

Ok good!

So, how large were these waves of self-identifying victims of yet another SL purge?

2? 5? 10?

It varied but between 2-5 for the time that I was greeting 2-3 hours every couple days and the conversation actually got around to that. Was more frequent back around 2010-2011, especially around the time of the Red Zone thing but there were other times too. 

It started dropping off and that might have been part of the reason I came back myself as it didn't seem to be so volatile anymore as when emigrated to a different grid in 2009.

If there was a TOS change, wouldn't it make SENSE that there are additional users who are "banned" as a result of NEW TOS changes?

Those would "appear" to be in "batches" by user reporting, even if they were completely manual.  Because, "work" done by "humans" to process AR's, etc. is done in "batches".  People don't do things "all at once", neither do people do "one thing a month".  So, as a result, it would look like "batches".

I don't see a problem here.

• Like 2

There was also at least one TOS change that didn't necessarily result in an increase of banned people, but did result in many voluntarily leaving SL and migrating to Open Sim, rather than accepting the new TOS.  It was before my time here, but at one point I had an account on an open sim grid that had many SL refugees from that TOS change and they were still talking/complaining about it several years later.

In terms of hearing about people being banned, it's only been periodic over the years I've been here, usually when someone who was banned for no reason at all, comes to the forum to complain about it.  

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Wow! Who knew?!

Very funny, but if you know all this then pardon me for asking but why all the exquisitely irrelevant questions that could easily be answered by reading what you have already explicitly agreed to in order to use the service? Did you also read that anything you write and ‘submit’ via their service can also be defined as ‘content’ and they can do as they please with it? 

"User Content" means any Content that a user of the Service has uploaded, published, or submitted to or through the Servers, Websites or other areas of the Service…<snip>

Also this:

You further agree that as a condition to accessing Moderate and/or Adult Only Second Life, you will submit to account verification as required by Linden, and provide only true and accurate identification documentation to Linden Lab or its third party service providers to verify your age. (Make that age AND location for skill game regions).

And many other things that probably deserve at least one general read to provide familiarity. And yes, I’m assuming you have not read much of it based on your insistence that you did not agree, did not know, etc etc. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2024 at 11:29 AM, Rat Luv said:

What do you do if you catch a child avatar in world with one of these? 😵

image.jpeg.6fe2ee5b88b8c38fc51e863ede177b31.jpeg

This would be my reaction if I was caught with anything drug-related. XD

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

Just now, sirhc DeSantis said:

I have never met any of the forum usuals. Apart from an unwanted card. and i am happy

There again I actually log in. oops i am now

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

I have never met any of the forum usuals. Apart from an unwanted card. and i am happy

There again I actually log in. oops i am now

I saw Sid once when I was out shopping, but he ran away before I could start talking. I don't know why.

*whistles and looks all innocent*

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I to understand that.  Everything is logged.

Although, I do think some believe they all sit around in their little desks, with popcorn and soda pop just reading our chats for shifts and giggles.

I was browsing the internet and came across some BBB submissions for LL. It is funny reading.. Apparently there has been at least one person since May with their account banned for something related to underage role play.

I am only assuming they are actually actively trying to catch people with bait, or a keyword ping happened and they terminated upon reading.. I have no idea. Not judging, but it is there on BBB for anyone to read.  User names not included of course.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Very funny, but if you know all this then pardon me for asking but why all the exquisitely irrelevant questions that could easily be answered by reading what you have already explicitly agreed to in order to use the service? Did you also read that anything you write and ‘submit’ via their service can also be defined as ‘content’ and they can do as they please with it? 

"User Content" means any Content that a user of the Service has uploaded, published, or submitted to or through the Servers, Websites or other areas of the Service…<snip>

I didn't know and meant the exclamation seriously. I'll bet there are many others who don't either. The Lab keeps it well hidden about the extras and certainly don't advertise it. The new user retention rate would be even worse if one had to read and agree to all that.

The Lab seems incapable of keeping things simple don't they?

• Haha 1