Let's hear from the adult region owners on how the new TOS change will affect your land

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

My main parcel is on Zindra, and it is xxx, but i also have parcel on a moderate sim. I bought it to rezz my stone circle, it has a couple of ponds, lots of plants and trees. Anything with poses i rezzed are general versions of the same thing that has adult animations.

There is no secret skybox for the naughty stuff, the location would be perfectly safe for a child to visit.

But if one showed up, i’d probably still kick them out.

I would be suspicious of any child avatar that tried to start a conversation with me.

For starters i’m not interested in their rp, and I’d wonder if they had darker motives.

I’m sure many many people feel the same way, all child avis are under a cloud of suspicion, and honestly I want nothing to do with them.

And in my own parcel, I can guarantee that

Sure! And again, you're within your rights to do so.

Which doesn't exempt you from criticism for your attitude and choices, of course. But I think it's pretty clear at this point that you're not going to change your mind, so I don't think it's worth the effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sure! And again, you're within your rights to do so.

Which doesn't exempt you from criticism for your attitude and choices, of course. But I think it's pretty clear at this point that you're not going to change your mind, so I don't think it's worth the effort.

In rl i wouldn’t hang out with kids, why would i do that here?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Would you hang out with an adult in a diaper

II try and avoid that, especially as many of the bloody things spam chat worse than tummy talkers.

One adult hangout I used to visit, made a new rule requiring diaper wearers to turn off the damn chat spam when they arrived.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

I wonder if the Lindens police/enforce the new rules in "secret skyboxes."
And if so, how? 

No.  The word at the May 20th meeting was: 

Be Smart. 

Keep It in SL. 

We will not ban adults, if they are smart.

Don't damage SL by not being smart.

If we catch you, you were not smart, and we will ban you.

In other words - Don't Get Caught.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Would you hang out with an adult in a diaper 🤔

I did, with my father when he couldn’t control his bowels due to cancer. But I guess that’s not what is being asked in this context, right.

Edited by Krystina Ferraris
Typos
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

I wonder if the Lindens police/enforce the new rules in "secret skyboxes."
And if so, how? 

What exactly is a "secret skybox"?

Do you mean like a normal person's non-public skybox? Or is there some weird stealth technology out there I don't know about?

And . . . why exactly are you asking this question?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Missing word
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

No.  The word at the May 20th meeting was: 

Be Smart. 

Keep It in SL. 

We will not ban adults, if they are smart.

Don't damage SL by not being smart.

If we catch you, you were not smart, and we will ban you.

In other words - Don't Get Caught.

Linden can't even communicate the new rules on child avatars to all those who might be affected. With the best will in the world, the company owner saying "be good" at a round table might as well have been whispered into a tea cup and then buried under the strawberry bushes.

We're not children, despite appearances sometimes.

We're also not a monolith.

Issuing threats, warnings, begging us not to "screw it up", playing whack a mole are not scalable and not a strategy.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Would you hang out with an adult in a diaper 🤔

Only if they were a relative living in an old folks home and they needed to wear one.

I  don't hangout with fetishists

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That might well be the case. And that is entirely their right.

I am merely pointing out the logic of this. If one accepts (as I think most of us do, including most of those representing as children who've posted here) that child avatars don't belong in places that feature open and public sexuality or extreme violence, then LL's restriction upon child avatars from such places makes sense, and shouldn't be subject to complaints.

If, however, a region that has been designated as Adult doesn't contain this type of content/behaviour, but is Adult anyway, the "blame," or at least the responsibility for that choice doesn't lie with LL, but with the landowner (who presumably has their own reasons for applying the rating).

Crapping on LL for what is an entirely reasonable and logical restriction is illogical. And, frankly, blaming landowners who choose to designate their regions as Adult even when the ToS wouldn't demand it of them is also . . . pointless.

The problem with that is that quite a few regions are run for a community. The way the rating system works as I understand it any group place on that region no matter how remote or behind closed doors makes the whole region adult because it is for group use. Previously child avatars and their families would have been fine to enjoy the place so long as they kept their distance from the adult areas, but now they are excluded because of the designation of the region as adult.

My experience is with motorbike clubs and I have met a fair few that are family based with moms, dads and children. So far as I am aware innocently having fun. They lose out from this, limited by places they can go and enjoy their roleplay.

For me personally I am merely sad that the rule changes adversely affects them. It is not a roleplay I have interest in, but I think just dismissing the problem or saying land like that could be made moderate is missing the implication of collective spaces on region maturity ratings.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

You could try to wiggle around rating rules, make the region moderate and just say in private any one can use the "bathhouse" at 4000m, but then the region owner runs into risks of being reported to governance, and potentially losing everything.

Making the space group access rather than public could work, but it is an additional hurdle along with the cost of changing the region designation I think few will consider justified.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What exactly is a "secret skybox"?

Do you mean like a normal person's non-public skybox? Or is there some weird stealth technology out there I don't know about?

And . . . why exactly are you asking this question?

Yes, I meant a non-public skybox used as a personal home.

I am curious whether Linden Lab treats personal homes differently than public places.

Just now, Caroline Takeda said:

Yes, I meant a non-public skybox used as a personal home.

I am curious whether Linden Lab treats personal homes differently than public places.

Pretty sure they don't, except that sex (of the non a*eplay type) is only permitted, of course, behind closed doors in Moderate regions.

In terms of the other sorts of things that have been in the past, or are newly forbidden by the ToS, it doesn't make a difference.

• Like 1

A, the new rules are fantastic. My housemates and I no longer have to deal with people who push the line because we can point to Linden policy. 

I also noticed that in the other adult roleplay sim I play in, there's been a sharp drop in a stars that look are trying to push the line. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2024 at 1:03 AM, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I see we're going to play this game. Going off your profile pic, I'm going to assume you play a pretty white woman. Why don't you put on an avatar of a fat black man? Why not play an avatar in a wheelchair? Why not be a car? Probably because you don't want to.

Let's keep in mind that this is also in the ToS. "Actions that marginalize, belittle, or defame users or groups are similarly prohibited." (Linden Lab's Community Standards, as linked in the ToS, https://lindenlab.com/legal/community-standards). Are the people who play child avatars (for whatever reason they do) being marginalized when they are forced to surrender their identity? Would you surrender your identity?

This is a little dramatic. If one of my favourite hair stores stopped allowing my kind of Avi (ofc they'd never be forced to, but if this happened and wasn't their choice), I'd just change for the few minutes it takes me to grab hair. It's really not a big deal. You can still go to the store. If kids keep going on and on, I wouldn't be surprised if LL did ban them one day. Maybe notecard the store owner, point out how much you spend and ask them if they're considering moving as maybe many kids go to them

On 5/23/2024 at 1:54 AM, Stephanie Misfit said:

Stop comparing child avatars to marginalised groups. Child avatars are full grown adults roleplaying as kids, they are not an oppressed group.

LOL. It's amazing to me that this needs to be said. But it does! Totally out of touch with reality. 

• Like 1

I only have a few small parcels in Zindra with rental cabins and not a single tenant has complained to me, nor do I expect to do anything differently other than AR the same sorts of cases I have always AR'd for years whether in G, M, or A.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 110 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.