Suggestion - Avatar legality checking station.

Anna Nova

*Rolls eyes*, anyone tried to imaging what for impact that system might have on someone in SL? For me, I might flat out stop creating slender & petite shapes, close my store, pounder why I have invested so much into it (yeah, all heads that I am using are bought (except 2 heads that I got refunded by LOGO because I am testing, reporting bugs back to the creator and is Moderator in their VIP Channel)), giving up that function of moderating and being in limbo with my dj sets in a club that is situated on an A-rated sim untill I get verified by this system.

That's too big a price to pay for me to stick around in SL then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

If this avatar legality station existed we'd see all sorts of avatars trying to get a certificate of being "barely legal". 

Judging by the number of people in the forums who seem to be looking for any way possible to skirt the TOS changes, yes.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Judging by the number of people in the forums who seem to be looking for any way possible to skirt the TOS changes, yes.

It's not just here, it's all over the place RL as well. 

"Rules? I know what they are, I know why there here. F*ck em, they're not for me"

It's no surprise people are looking to skirt a rule so vigorously and it hasn't really been made yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Second Life - Be anything you like*

* Within a  tightly defined range of acceptable looks as defined by random horny men you wont ever meet and local social norms so far removed from reality you don't stand a chance. Avatars outside of the acceptable range will be demeaned, hounded into enclave communities that daren't go out in public, accused of sexual impropriety with children and exiled from the service with all their assets stripped. This is fine.

You say that, and everyone knows you are joking.  I say it and I get vitriol.  That's just second life I guess.  Oh wait - this is in Real Life in a forum!  And no one ever reads the bit under all my posts....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 9:59 AM, Starberry Passion said:

The difference between European Beauty standard

and African beauty standard is

European liked slim, still mostly prefer slim

African like thicc. This goes back to Ancient Egypt.

Except for when it was not many periods of European history more Rotund women were preferred because it was a indicator of the lady coming from wealth ((could afford to eat in excess and not toil in the fields all Day)) this is exactly why more wan complexions were more popular. the trend reversed in the industrial age when having the ability to have free time for self care and time in the sun making suntans desirable. beauty standards fluctuate and it's a product of economic and how people earn there living or what leisure time looks like.

the funny thing is the modern era the "Junk in the trunk" trend is the result of Plastic procedures like Brazilian but lifts and how expensive they are to have done (once again the body as a Status symbol)

Personally my avatars tend to conform to the Japanese beauty standard. which looks youthful to western eyes and i get accused of looking like a child often in spite of being 6'4"

Edited by Sprout Evergarden

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

You say that, and everyone knows you are joking.  I say it and I get vitriol.  That's just second life I guess.  Oh wait - this is in Real Life in a forum!  And no one ever reads the bit under all my posts....

A smiley or wink would have helped...

I think since we're really all adults here, that we should try and research the rules the best we can. 

Then stay within them the best we can to our understanding of them.

Rather than put in safety nets for everyone because of ones own fear of lack of  understanding of the rules.

This world has always had a big curve to it, it's part of its appeal.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 8:28 AM, Anna Nova said:

Linden Lab should set up a trained staffed Avatar Legality Checking Station in SecondLife, so people can go along and get a 'Certificate of Avatar Compliance', and then they 'seal' the shape as no-mod.  I've not quite worked out how to do the last bit, but the clever moles will know.

By doing this people can get some degree of confidence back.

Maybe it's just me but employing a whole bunch of people because some can't tell a minor and an adult apart is really excessive.

If you're an adult and you constantly find yourself mistaking minors for adults, that's between you and the police. 

On 5/12/2024 at 5:37 PM, Starberry Passion said:

If you could afford a corset, you could afford servants. It was a symbol of feminine beauty and is still apart of Victorian Fashion today.

A corset stopped women from doing work, themselves. Though you have an hourglass shape, and they can enhance that but you forget

That's actually completely incorrect. It was a staple piece of ladies' underwear (also worn by a lot of men), and came in multiple forms and flavors, including but not limited to pregnancy corsets (sic!), sports corsets etc. By the time the Victorian era came around, the corsets also were significantly cheaper due to the mass production and wearing one was not just a fashion choice, but an expectation, since going without a corset was seen as really inappropriate. 

Edited by TheAwkwardMochi
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Anna Nova said:
21 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Second Life - Be anything you like*

* Within a  tightly defined range of acceptable looks as defined by random horny men you wont ever meet and local social norms so far removed from reality you don't stand a chance. Avatars outside of the acceptable range will be demeaned, hounded into enclave communities that daren't go out in public, accused of sexual impropriety with children and exiled from the service with all their assets stripped. This is fine.

I never know when Coffee or Zal are joking!

18 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
34 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I never know when Coffee or Zal are joking!

And many don't know when you are :)

I think that I'm beginning to finally understand why. 

Unlike what some day, I believe it has less to do with "assumptions" (he usually jokes and/or I will always assume he is literal) than "world view".

Someone who shares my general "world view" will more likely know when I am joking.

Someone who has a completely different "world view" will possibly assume I am being literal, while others may know that is not the case.

Maybe this explains why some people write the way they do (all-caps, using made-up words, hyperbole..), to make sure others know they are being sarcastic / funny, etc.  

It could be some people just have poor reading comprehension or different levels of empathy, too! 

YMMV

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think that I'm beginning to finally understand why. 

Unlike what some day, I believe it has less to do with "assumptions" (he usually jokes and/or I will always assume he is literal) than "world view".

Someone who shares my general "world view" will more likely know when I am joking.

Someone who has a completely different "world view" will possibly assume I am being literal, while others may know that is not the case.

Maybe this explains why some people write the way they do (all-caps, using made-up words, hyperbole..), to make sure others know they are being sarcastic / funny, etc.  

It could be some people just have poor reading comprehension or different levels of empathy, too! 

YMMV

For myself it is people who can post all through a forum and make many responses to the posts of others and yet I am still in the dark as to what a certain poster thinks because they have not conclusively come out for either side. Then any comment pro or con is ambiguous in its interpretation because it is unknown if the comment was sarcastic, joking, critical etc as that would depend on the position the poster comes from.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

For myself it is people who can post all through a forum and make many responses to the posts of others and yet I am still in the dark as to what a certain poster thinks because they have not conclusively come out for either side. Then any comment pro or con is ambiguous in its interpretation because it is unknown if the comment was sarcastic, joking, critical etc as that would depend on the position the poster comes from.

Cool, that sure isn't me! I'm very opinionated. Just ask anyone!