So what changed in the Terms of Service?

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Read your statement again. 

It's not my intention to offend anyone like I said and it wasn't directly aimed at anyone like I said it's a genetic thing not just race thing.

Edited by Wincil
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Absolutely.  All avatars are. The question is really "How closely do you identify with your avatar?" 

Some people think that their avatar is just a cartoon than they move around on a screen. Others, like me, feel more connected to their avatar, as if a part of us was actually in world with the avatar.  I am Rolig Loon when I am logged in. The question of "immersion" is a very active question among SL residents.  It's really why a lot of people feel that they are being personally harmed or attacked if something bad happens to their avatar, but other people can just shrug and walk  away. 

Again that is a subjective statement. Not everyone thinks like you or even that they identify with their avatar. Some of them treat them like a virtual barbie, and dress them up and stuff. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's really why a lot of people feel that they are being personally harmed or attacked if something bad happens to their avatar, but other people can just shrug and walk  away. 

Inworld, I'm rarely offended or take things personally.  The forums are a different story to me.  I'm not piloting an avatar here per se.  This is me.  It's me inworld too but with a buffer, if that makes sense.  Here, I do take some things personally because you're talking to me.  Now, whether other see themselves the same way, I don't know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Perhaps it's best if we all just agree that there are certain racial/genetic factors which can have an effect on the rate and manner in which people age as well as cultural differences which effect our individual perception of age?

Yes Asian people are frequently perceived to be younger than their actual age. Likely size has something to do with this (they are, on average, smaller).  Or perhaps the fact that less Asians are obese (usually in the Western world people put on a few more pounds as they age).

Stating reality has zilch to do with racism.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Indy Melody said:

Is this all getting a bit off-topic?

Probably a little but I think as long as we stick to the subject of comparisons of apparent age it's pretty on topic.

And Roligs point about identification with your avatar I think is particularly salient given how the TOS changes could potentially affect some residents.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Absolutely.  All avatars are. The question is really "How closely do you identify with your avatar?" 

Some people think that their avatar is just a cartoon that they move around on a screen. Others, like me, feel more connected to their avatar, as if a part of us was actually in world with the avatar.  I am Rolig Loon when I am logged in. The question of "immersion" is a very active question among SL residents.  It's really why a lot of people feel that they are being personally harmed or attacked if something bad happens to their avatar, but other people can just shrug and walk  away. 

Hence why I maid the observation and pointed out that there are so many fictosexual people here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I wouldn't say what she said was racist perse, but it's making a very broad assumption. Without nothing to really back it. 

I think you mean that you, in your personal experience, have not encountered any reasoning to back it.

9 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Perhaps it's best if we all just agree that there are certain racial/genetic factors which can have an effect on the rate and manner in which people age as well as cultural differences which effect our individual perception of age?

Sure. I was just sick of the drumbeat of the old trope, and spoke my mind. If unenlightened folks don't "get it", that's totally understandable.  Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

Again that is a subjective statement. Not everyone thinks like you or even that they identify with their avatar. Some of them treat them like a virtual barbie, and dress them up and stuff. 

Exactly!  Some people identify very closely with their avatar. Others don't.  There's no right or wrong about it. Your attachment to your avatar is definitely subjective. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:
12 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Sure. I was just sick of the drumbeat of the old trope, and spoke my mind. If unenlightened folks don't "get it", that's totally understandable.  Thanks!

Yes I certainly don't get why you accused someone unnecessarily with such an egregious charge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think you mean that you, in your personal experience, have not encountered any reasoning to back it.

OH here we go. Where have you been for 152 pages.  Now we all can know where we all went wrong.

• Haha 4

Just now, Kathlen Onyx said:

OH here we go. Where have you been for 152 pages.  Now we all can know where we all went wrong.

You've been discussing racism for 152 pages?  How ever did I miss that?

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Inworld, I'm rarely offended or take things personally.  The forums are a different story to me.  I'm not piloting an avatar here per se.  This is me.  It's me inworld too but with a buffer, if that makes sense.  Here, I do take some things personally because you're talking to me.  Now, whether other see themselves the same way, I don't know.

I think in-world, if someone "judges" my avatar, I take it personally because I do everything with thought and intention.

From that perspective, I can empathize with anyone who truly thinks their avatar is being judged as "younger than it is". (Again, the height aspect has nothing to do with it and keeps coming up.)

• Like 1

I mean you aren't wrong about it being an old trope and I agree that people shouldn't make any generalizations based on race, I just think maybe it's not a good idea to address it in detail here given how far off topic this thread is already (in fact since it's something that can easily turn into a RL debate it's probably best to avoid the topic on these forums altogether).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I think in-world, if someone "judges" my avatar, I take it personally because I do everything with thought and intention.

From that perspective, I can empathize with anyone who truly thinks their avatar is being judged as "younger than it is". (Again, the height aspect has nothing to do with it and keeps coming up.)

Well, I AM glad you mentioned Black don't crack so I didn't have to.  😀.   I couldn't care less what anyone's opinion is of my look.  Never have been.  I just say thanks regardless of whether it was positive or negative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

I mean you aren't wrong about it being an old trope and I agree that people shouldn't make any generalizations based on race, I just think maybe it's not a good idea to address it in detail here given how far off topic this thread is already (in fact since it's something that can easily turn into a RL debate it's probably best to avoid the topic on these forums altogether).

Thanks again! I also forgot that the people who keep bringing it up, seemingly out of the blue, could also be trolling for responses.

* critical thinking fail! *

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It certainly is but the new rule clearly state what adults are NOT allowed to do in regards to children.  That part, IMO, was sorely needed.

33 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I just wanted to expand a little on a subject recently brought up here.

The new rules also empower child avatars more with clearly defined actions AGAINST them that are not allowed and reportable. 

Sharing fantasies about or promoting engagement in child sexual exploitation.

Sexualized commentaries about or directed at child-presenting avatars and/or any individual that identifies as a child.

Links to third-party sites that host child sexual exploitation material.

Expressing a desire to obtain materials that feature child sexual exploitation.

Recruiting, advertising or expressing an interest in a sex act involving a child, or in harboring and/or transporting a child for sexual purposes.

Sending sexually explicit media to a child or child-presenting avatar.

Engaging or trying to engage a child or child-presenting avatar in a sexually explicit conversation.

Trying to obtain sexually explicit media from a child or child-presenting avatar, or trying to engage a child or child-presenting avatar in sexual activity through blackmail or other incentives.

Identifying alleged victims of childhood sexual exploitation by name or image.

Promoting or normalizing sexual attraction to minors as a form of identity or sexual orientation.

Thank you Rowan.

I just want to highlight this quickly as I wander by my computer for a moment, because it's really important and we're sort of skimming over it.

The new rules also protect child avis. And empower them.

That's all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Thanks again! I also forgot that the people who keep bringing it up, seemingly out of the blue, could also be trolling for responses.

* critical thinking fail! *

Or you might be imagining they're trolling for responses.

20 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Some people think that their avatar is just a cartoon that they move around on a screen. Others, like me, feel more connected to their avatar, as if a part of us was actually in world with the avatar.  I am Rolig Loon when I am logged in. The question of "immersion" is a very active question among SL residents.  It's really why a lot of people feel that they are being personally harmed or attacked if something bad happens to their avatar, but other people can just shrug and walk  away. 

For me, *fully* immersed.  Stephanie McLaglen may as well be 10 year old Stephanie (RL).

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thank you Rowan.

I just want to highlight this quickly as I wander by my computer for a moment, because it's really important and we're sort of skimming over it.

The new rules also protect child avis. And empower them.

That's all.

I think we should repeat this every so often, since it indeed gets lost.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes Asian people are frequently perceived to be younger than their actual age. Likely size has something to do with this (they are, on average, smaller).  Or perhaps the fact that less Asians are obese (usually in the Western world people put on a few more pounds as they age).

Stating reality has zilch to do with racism.

Yeah, the average Asian woman is 5'1" to 5'2" average breast size is A cup to B cup, just like global average

and compared to U.S. women, who average at 177Lbs, Asian women average around 122Lbs

American Women, however, isn't that taller on Average because the average American woman is 5'3" 5'4".

Japan, however, is Ranked at 118 in height, while America is I think 47?

• Like 3