So what changed in the Terms of Service?

I had to add this comment on the thread:  I just got to the top of page 85 and that post says it was " 1 hour ago " - and the thread is already at 89 pages.  Wow - 5 pages in one hour.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cindy Evanier said:
1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

How are you going to distinguish a 17 year old from an 18 year old?

Well, since I cultivated my own RL just turned 18 yr old I am not. If you lined all their friends up together male, female and trans) there is just no way to tell but since it is my region, I will observe their behavior and then make a judgement call.

That is all parcel owners can do - and is actually something many have been doing for a couple of decades anyway.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I thought the same for quite a while, but after thinking about it:

The goal of the pedophile is to have sexual encounters with what they perceive as a child.  If the 'child' is willing, the child could be coerced into removing their BOM undies, letting the perv fantasize easier.  With a skin or body that never allows the undies to go away, the perv will have a harder time fantasizing about it.

I apologize in case that was answered already: at the moment my 14yo neko avatar (based on tweenster) is wearing a skirt with tights underneath. The whole pubic area is alpha'ed out, so someone camming underneath the skirt would see literally nothing. If a baked-on, non-hideable modestly layer was there, it would break the outfit because those undies would suddenly stick out of the skirt just because of how SL works. And that would be the fact for at least 90 percent of my mesh outfits. How would that work?

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Jackson Redstar said:

again one of those well intentioned things that doesn't always work out properly. I do weddings, and alot of wedding are on private sim, often with a A rating, and alot of wedding have children - flower girls and ring bears, along with sometimes just children of the guests

Unfortunately, if a wedding wants to have children participating or attending, then the wedding will need to not happen in an Adult rated region.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Daniel Regenbogen said:

I apologize in case that was answered already: at the moment my 14yo neko avatar (based on tweenster) is wearing a skirt with tights underneath. The whole pubic area is alpha'ed out, so someone camming underneath the skirt would see literally nothing. If a baked-on, non-hideable modestly layer was there, it would break the outfit because those undies would suddenly stick out of the skirt just because of how SL works. And that would be the fact for at least 90 percent of my mesh outfits. How would that work?

It would be just like any BOM layer if your body is BoM enabled.  I wear undies under a lot of of mesh clothing so in case my clothing doesn't rez, my butt and stuff isn't visible.  It's baked onto the mesh body on top of the system skin I wear.  It doesn't interfere with even the tightest mesh clothing.

ETA...if creators make a BoM system skin for an avatar and include the modesty panels, any other BoM will go on top of that.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Eh. I doubt it. But certainly any avi that looks like a child will be. People have always been able to ban anyone from theireir adult land if they feel the avi looks too young.

It's not about bans from land, that doesn't matter.

How do you determine if someone is 17 or 18?

1 hour ago, Blush Bravin said:

My experience is that while rezzing in before completely rezzed, I've often seen parts of the mesh body that were made invisible once the alpha actually rezzed. It's the main reason why I wear BoM undies and don't just rely on an alpha for modesty.

In thinking about this, it makes perfect sense - but had not previously occurred to me.  I will now be adding BOM undies to whichever outfits I have that were relying on a alpha layer.

It also made me wonder about my "invisible" outfit.  I checked the skin on that one, and it is a solid white skin, so even if it rezzed before the alpha took effect, there is still nothing to see.

25 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Nah they would have the potential of a whole new market to replace us decrepit and jaded residents.

no i meant i’d be saying buh bye, sl can carry on as barbie and ken land without me

• Moles
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Neness Renard said:

What changes? My account is blocked because I can't read the window... Please Second Life, change this system because many users can no longer connect to the grid.

PleasereadSLJPG.JPG.89a8f3c9cb9dd86e0ddaa88c6c0eb9db.JPG

What viewer are you using?   Try with the latest official viewer if you're using something else.

ETA:  See also this post.   It seems that if you are still using Windows 7, that could be the cause.

If that doesn't work, please raise a support ticket.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I had to add this comment on the thread:  I just got to the top of page 85 and that post says it was " 1 hour ago " - and the thread is already at 89 pages.  Wow - 5 pages in one hour.

dont go to sleep tonight, you’ll never catch up 😂

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

no i meant i’d be saying buh bye, sl can carry on as barbie and ken land without me

Oh well I already did as others have too. I'll watch you boil a little longer :)

6 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

What viewer are you using?   Try with the latest official viewer if you're using something else.

If that doesn't work, please raise a support ticket.

or log out and in on the accountpage?... i got the window there to accept it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Wincil said:

tbh idk are they bringing up teenagers so much

The reason "late teen" ages are discussed so much is because that is really the grey area in all of this.

It is almost always very obvious if someone is playing a child under the age of 15.  However for anyone playing a child 15-17, it can be hard to distinguish them from folks playing an 18 yr old.  Where the person playing the 15-17 yr old must be in compliance of the child avatar policy, someone playing an 18 yr does not need to be in compliance with that policy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

The feeling I get is from LL's POV, if they're thinking "Well she could be 18 but if I kinda squint a little she might be 17" they ain't gonna worry about that too much. This is all about ending stuff that looks seriously sketchy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

In my opinion you don't. People have to say I'm roleplaying as under 18 in their profile ... chat or interactions with others  to be considered underage. It's a gray area. I have a feeling a lot of teen roleplayers over 15 are so are going to decide to age up because of this.

If you are AR'd with back up evidence though that you are still roleplaying as underage  I would assume you could still end up banned if the evidence (chat logs ect.. ) reveals that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

But again, the complete baked BOM surface—alpha mask, system skin, tattoos, texture underwear, the whole shebang—rezzes whether on mesh or the system body.

Ahh, that makes sense.  So it is really just the alpha cuts (via body HUDs) that don't rez until the mesh body does (or in extreme lag areas, might not every get applied).  I often forget that the alpha layers we wear are BOM 'layers'.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chery Amore said:

In my opinion you don't. People have to say I'm roleplaying as under 18 in their profile ... chat or interactions with others  to be considered underage. It's a gray area. I have a feeling a lot of teen roleplayers over 15 are so are going to decide to age up because of this.

If you are AR'd with back up evidence though that you are still roleplaying as underage  I would assume you could still end up banned if the evidence (chat logs ect.. ) reveals that.

I was wondering how Governance could really investigate further to conclusively prove whether age playing was going on other then to go through IM logs. Is that possible? Are there server side log of IM's or are they encrypted?

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I was wondering how Governance could really investigate further to conclusively prove whether age playing was going on other then to go through IM logs. Is that possible? Are there server side log of IM's or are they encrypted?

If you think Lindens can't read past IMs I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Monika Skydancer said:

The feeling I get is from LL's POV, if they're thinking "Well she could be 18 but if I kinda squint a little she might be 17" they ain't gonna worry about that too much. This is all about ending stuff that looks seriously sketchy.

it wouldn't be that bad if anyone in the gray area, actually list in their profiles what their intent is... but I've had people get mad for having 18+ in my profile saying I put it there to try to hide something, and other people mad when I didn't have it there saying it was hard to tell.  Its hard to win

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

From the FAQ

. If a reasonable person would look at the features of your avatar and consider it underage, we would recommend not engaging in adult activities on that account. 

If the reasonable person can't determine whether the avatar is 17 or 18, then it follows, I think, that they don't consider it underage.  At most, they can't be sure how old they think it is.

If, however, they take one look at the avatar and say "there's no way that's an 18-year-old" then there's a problem.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I would think it would be really hard but there are screenshot zealots out there and other ways I'm sure people could be tripped up or found out eventually. This could lead to more restrictions on how people appear would be my guess. Even less skirting the edge would be allowed. People that push the envelope usually get tripped up.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Aya Sweetheart said:

it wouldn't be that bad if anyone in the gray area, actually list in their profiles what their intent is... but I've had people get mad for having 18+ in my profile saying I put it there to try to hide something, and other people mad when I didn't have it there saying it was hard to tell.  Its hard to win

For what it's worth, I've always thought that if you feel you have to stress in your profile that your avatar is supposed to be 18 or more, that's probably a sign that enough people think it doesn't look like an 18 year old that it would be a good idea to tweak your appearance a bit.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2