Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other?

Has anyone found this to be a big deal yet? 

Or even something of a deal?

I haven't, but maybe I don't know where to look?

It seems that to offset the increased land impact of PBR (who knew!), they lowered the weight of mesh uploads.

So...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It seems that to offset the increased land impact of PBR (who knew!), they lowered the weight of mesh uploads.

So...

I lost all interest when i read that it doesnt have any effect on prims 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really haven't seen much difference, but I tend to have a comfortable cushion of spare Land Impact (except on my little Bellisseria hovelboat), so I might not notice even if it were a big deal.

There might be math to better guide expectations here, but I'm not mathematician enough to know how to start. Some considerations that seem as if they'd matter:

• It only affects the Download weight of Land Impact, which is only sometimes larger than the other two weights (Server and Physics), and when Download isn't larger than the others it can't matter if it's reduced.
  • Download weight only matters for objects that use "mesh accounting" to determine Land Impact. These days that's practically everything, but very old prim and sculpt builds use the old non-mesh accounting iff they never adjusted "Physics Type" from "Prim", nor applied any Materials texture tricks (not even Alpha Mode "Masked" for efficient or sane alpha rendering).
  • Assuming the 15% applies to the floating point value of Download weight, it only matters at all if it pushes the value below rounding threshold. For example, suppose I have an object that started with a Download Weight of 4.2. Fifteen percent of that is 0.63, and 4.2-0.63 = 3.57. That may look like a reduction, but the LI calculation will round it up to 4, just as it used to round 4.2 down to 4.
  • This suggests to me (where's a math major when you need one?) that assemblies of stuff with large total Download weights (like whole builds linked together) will be more apt to see some benefit than separate little things with only a few links and low total LI.

I think my eccentric LI-reduction practices make me particularly unlikely to see benefit: I tend to unlink stuff as much as scripts will allow, and then re-link them to balance the weights and take advantage of rounding-down when possible.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Peeve: Those of us who use old Prim builds won't benefit!!!

I do not "permanently" rez anything on my land, instead I just use an old scene rezzer and change things up when I'm in the mood. Otherwise, I suppose the new LI savings would motivate me to switch out certain permantly-rezzed prim items (knick-knacks, decorations, etc.) with modern Mesh versions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So...

I saw an increase in my Linden home. I think about 30.  30 prims is 30 prims.  Even if that needs to be used to offset PBR they could have given nothing.  Some people are never happy, even when given something for nothing. SMH

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 5

My LI use on my rental from you @Prokofy Neva reduced by about 200; that's about a 9% saving but my build is already well optimised to reduce LI by linking.

I'm busy PBRing (that's now a verb) and installing reflection probes :)

Edit to add: Overall I think I'll see a net gain by the time I've finished. I can't imagine I'll need to use up 200LI in the 'improvement' process.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 5

Oh man, I'm such a happy camper. Now I can rez all my stuff on the marketplace one by one and see how the LI has changed and than alter that on the MP.
Have to redo each and every texture for my shop vendor, because they state the LI.
Man, hours of extra work for no extra sales.
Thanks LL. Just got to love this. 
:(

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

My 1024 display/shop parcel went from 2 to 20 LI spare - considering I use all the tricks I know of to reduce already (as said above), plus a lot of it is 'single prim' anyway, I was pleasantly surprised. More room to put stuff out.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Oh man, I'm such a happy camper. Now I can rez all my stuff on the marketplace one by one and see how the LI has changed and than alter that on the MP.
Have to redo each and every texture for my shop vendor, because they state the LI.

I was thinking, if LL plans to do this again, then MP sellers should just post their download cost and a link to the LL calculation for mesh LI!

I see about 5% overall increase in my available LI after the change.  Not close to 15%, since I have many 1 or 2 prim objects, and some have no reason to be mesh.  I have a linked home structure (no rez box needed) that was 41 LI before, and 38 LI after.  It is called an "all-mesh" home, but has quite a few non mesh prims as part of the links.

I'm curious to see if my Alex Balder landscaping, which is all mesh, is closer to the 15% reduced LI claimed.  I did gain about 100 LI, and suspect that is where most of the savings came from.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I was thinking, if LL plans to do this again, then MP sellers should just post their download cost and a link to the LL calculation for mesh LI!

I have another solution figured out just now.
I'll make a texture with the text: "Due to calculation changes from Linden Lab, the LI of this product might be slightly lower than advertised" and than upload that one as extra texture in the listings. It is at least less work.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I was talking about this to a friend last night, who saw the change a week ago, ( owns an RC channel region ).

The reasoning for the "free gift" is, to me, more newsworthy than the actuaal noticable change.

We give you 15 % lower LI on some mesh because...

"The need to waste additional LI on extra lights and PBR probes to stop our busted-ass PBR-fail making your house build interior too damn dark, will eat all the extra LI we gave you for free."

oh-no-emoji.gif.b224468c6390c0b4b2f06c31bd84979d.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Because your customers will try to rip your head off if they find out your items have less land impact than the sign says...

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

Because your customers will try to rip your head off if they find out your items have less land impact than the sign says...

No, but I want to be accurate in my advertising.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I was talking about this to a friend last night, who saw the change a week ago, ( owns an RC channel region ).

The reasoning for the "free gift" is, to me, more newsworthy than the actuaal noticable change.

We give you 15 % lower LI on some mesh because...

"The need to waste additional LI on extra lights and PBR probes to stop our busted-ass PBR-fail making your house build interior too damn dark, will eat all the extra LI we gave you for free."

oh-no-emoji.gif.b224468c6390c0b4b2f06c31bd84979d.gif

Yeah, I heard someone was going to send Linden Lab an angry letter about it but they broke their neck falling downstairs because they were walking around their house with the lights off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Bonus from the same announcement: It will make mirrors cheaper to use, too (not that anyone seriously asked for mirrors)!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

^ This right here was my first thought. I now have to go through hundreds of mesh items, rez them on world, compare the LI to the listing and if (changed), change the listings, LI counts and sales pictures because I as well, put the LI in the main pic. I guess I'll stop that practice, that made things easier on the shoppers, since it will now cause me a whole lot of extra work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Artorius Constantine said:
29 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

^ This right here was my first thought. I now have to go through hundreds of mesh items, rez them on world, compare the LI to the listing and if (changed), change the listings, LI counts and sales pictures because I as well, put the LI in the main pic. I guess I'll stop that practice, that made things easier on the shoppers, since it will now cause me a whole lot of extra work.

I can't even imagine how long this would take...especially when including vendors and Marketplace changes....I estimate a month of full-time work.  No way I'll be doing this.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Artorius Constantine said:

If the download weight is the deciding factor for land impact it would have changed if the object was resized anyway.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

18 minutes ago, Artorius Constantine said:

I only have a dozen or so myself, but I'm not going to bother. As long as LL doesn't change things to make the LI higher than current, I don't care.

• Like 2