Are we ever gonna be able to hide account age?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It screams this person has money to spend! But seriously, changing a name is not such big thing considering the amount of time saddled with it and the amounts of monies spent on the game overall. Imagine someone spending a couple hundred per month on land made of pixels and yet being too cheap to buy a proper last name. That screams loser even louder.

A “proper” last name? 😂

38 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

We have mods here and they should be able be able to sort out the intent. The Lindens were the ones who put the new policies and mods in place and wrote the community guidelines and it is therefore  up to them to enforce the rules they have put in place as to how it effects the abuse of new people.  The forum is not so busy anymore that the excuse of it being too busy has any validity.               

LOL…. so if you laugh and its interpreted as scorn, thats an actionable offence? Get a warning or even suspended?

I have a much better idea, just get rid of the reactions entirely to save the hurt feelings of the more sensitive, delicate souls in here.

Since now we're guessing account age by your last name or lack thereof.  Ok!   So then your account name should be considered personal information since someone said it wasn't.  You can GUESS my RL age by the age of my account and you can GUESS someone's age in RL by their last name and you can GUESS if they have money by their last name/account type.  Let's see...what exactly CAN we put on our profiles so no one can GUESS anything?   It's getting just a bit ridiculous IMO.

The feature request on Canny that I posted the link for is very illuminating so there is that.  

• Thanks 2

i mean the only time that age is used against people, is with new accounts. But then again, it's due to people who create alts to either troll or grief regions. So I can understand that caution, does that hurt new accounts that are just starting out and wanting to actually be a part of SL. Sure, but you can't get mad at LL or people who are cautious with this. You need to blame the idiots who caused this. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

well if someone a rezz date less than about 13 years, you know it’s a purchased last name, and not a genuine, pre Resident one. 😂

I have an alt with one of the last names we could get. LL removed last names in its official website in November 2010, but some register portals like the Virtual Library of Birmingham had last names in November 2011. I think LL put an end to last names in third party registration portals just after that date.

It was a NameWatch page where we could find out how many that shared the same last name, but I think it is broken.

• Like 2

The one thing that bugs me about this person, is anyone who disagrees with them. They will make ageist remarks, to try and invalidate your opinion, they say we are a part of a council. When we are just individuals, expressing our individual opinions on why we disagree with it. That and if you don't react in the way the OP wants, you are malicious and harrassing. Basically they are expecting an echo chamber of people who will just blindly agree with them. But I want to let the OP know, that this is a public forum, where there are so many individuals who all think differently, so they are gonna have to deal with it or not make a post. Especially if they are just trying to create echo chambers. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Frankly, everything in this thread, from the OP to the QAnon-inspired conspiracy theories about Mean Girls, just screams "First World Problems."

Oh it really does, and it's just sad. Even the whole you're infringing on my freedom of speech. No dude, we are just disagreeing agreeing with you. We are not the ones who made a bad take and are being called out. You are! So stop acting like the victim. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Oh it really does, and it's just sad. Even the whole you're infringing on my freedom of speech. No dude, we are just disagreeing agreeing with you. We are not the ones who made a bad take and are being called out. You are! So stop acting like the victim. 

Putting aside the simple fact that freedom of speech only pertains to governments trying to limit it ... A corporation is well within its right to tell you you cannot say certain things within a space it owns. There is no freedom of speech here.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Frankly, everything in this thread, from the OP to the QAnon-inspired conspiracy theories about Mean Girls, just screams "First World Problems."

I don't think we're allowed to discuss anything but "First World Problems" on this forum.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Left out word
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Solar Legion said:

Putting aside the simple fact that freedom of speech only pertains to governments trying to limit it ... A corporation is well within its right to tell you you cannot say certain things within a space it owns. There is no freedom of speech here.

My point was when we disagreed with him, he acted like we were trying to silence him and even infringe on his rights. Which was a reach, we were just calling out his bad take and disagreeing with him. That was not in fact even silencing him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

My point was when we disagreed with him, he acted like we were trying to silence him and even infringe on his rights. Which was a reach, we were just calling out his bad take and disagreeing with him. That was not in fact even silencing him. 

I am aware.

My point was that even if we were trying to silence him it would not matter as said 'right' does not exist on a corporate/company owned forum such as this.

His 'right' to express his opinions is at the whim of the powers that be.

Which is a second layer to the reaction button responses I've given.

• Thanks 1

And last time I checked, how are we part of a council? Lol. So we aren't allowed to unanimously disagree with your point? I mean I have made posts and even comments that people have metaphorically laughed me off the stage. But I didn't get bent out of shape for that. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I didn't see any replies that were quite THAT paranoid, although it's not totally uncommon especially for newer Forumites. But then, I've had them on ignore for awhile so missed it.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I didn't see any replies that were quite THAT paranoid, although it's not totally uncommon especially for newer Forumites. But then, I've had them on ignore for awhile so missed it.

Basically his first quip was him stating we were infringing on his right to freedom of speech. Which apparently disagreeing constitutes infringement of one's rights. Then he went on for a few posts, that we were part of some secret council for disagreeing with him. It was laughably moronic. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

And last time I checked, how are we part of a council? Lol. So we aren't allowed to unanimously disagree with your point? I mean I have made posts and even comments that people have metaphorically laughed me off the stage. But I didn't get bent out of shape for that. 

some of us have thicker skin than others,  or just dont care 😁

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 10:52 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Aren't we 4X older in SL since the SL day length is longer than the RL day length?

Apologies for being possibly off-topic but whatever. I find this comment to be thought-provoking. Setting aside the issue of if 4X is the correct multiplier, this logic appears related to the concept of dog years.

One explanation for how this formula got started is that the 7:1 ratio seems to have been based on the statistic that people lived to about 70, and dogs to about 10.

The idea is that you use a 7X ratio for dogs because you are trying to normalize dog age and human age based on life span. Another implementation of this would be, on a species basis, to express age as a percentage of expected life span for that species. So in the dog/human example, a 35 year old human and a 5 year old dog  both have the age 50%.

With respect to human age vs. avatar/account age, the analogy to dog years breaks down because there is no expected life span for avatar/account. I suggest a better analogy is that of an astronaut on the Mars. The age of the astronaut is not recalculated based on the Martian sol. Similarly, I suggest that SL age and RL age advance by the same amount of units.

I have ignored relativistic effects :)

And of course, for things like Mars missions, sols are used as a reference time for logging events.

Edited by diamond Marchant
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

some of us have thicker skin than others,  or just dont care 😁

If the majority of forum members were laughing at my posts, I'm sure I'd feel bad too. I might even ask for my thread to be deleted. Luckily, I don't think I've said anything yet to warrent such a response.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Apologies for being possibly off-topic but whatever. I find this comment to be thought-provoking. Setting aside the issue of if 4X is the correct multiplier, this logic appears related to the concept of dog years.

The idea is that you use a 7X ratio for dogs because you are trying to normalize dog age and human age based on life span. Another implementation of this would be, on a species basis, to express age as a percentage of expected life span for that species. So in the dog/human example, a 35 year old human and a 5 year old dog  both have the age 50%.

With respect to human age vs. avatar/account age, the analogy to dog years breaks down because there is no expected life span for avatar/account. I suggest a better analogy is that of an astronaut on the Mars. The age of the astronaut is not recalculated based on the Martian sol. Similarly, I suggest that SL age and RL age advance by the same amount of units.

I have ignored relativistic effects :)

Dog-years don't equate to human years in a straight correlation.  The first year brings a wolf to what is socially equivalent to being a teenager among humans. For dogs (essentially domesticated wolves), the first year brings them to physical maturity, when they could get pregnant and have their first litter, which is also equivalent for a human teenager being able to get pregnant and have a child. Teenagers are physically mature, but not yet socially mature. After the first year in a dog's or wolf's life, then we could compare their expected lifespan to a human lifespan more directly, for instance 10 years for a dog vs. 80 years for a human.

Avatar lifespan might be similar. Do we mature faster in the first year of our avatar's life? Do we go through a prime when we're more active, settle down in our middle years, and then become either wise or senile in our old age?

If 1 year in SL is equivalent to 4 years in RL, then I'd be 52, which sounds about right. 😄 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

Here's how "bubbles" work (off-the-cuff, making it up):

1. If everyone seems to agree with you, you MIGHT be in a "bubble" (echo chamber, etc.).

2. If everyone seems to disagree with you, it does NOT mean that "everyone else" is in a "bubble".

"Everyone" has their own opinions on Second Life. It does not mean "everyone" is "right" or "wrong".  That's now how "opinions" work.

What we think about someone's suggestion doesn't ultimately matter - what matters more is if a "feature request" is "accepted" or "rejected" by Linden Lab for the "feature".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

If the majority of forum members were laughing at my posts, I'm sure I'd feel bad too. I might even ask for my thread to be deleted. Luckily, I don't think I've said anything yet to warrent such a response.

It's never too late. Goals!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

LOL…. so if you laugh and its interpreted as scorn, thats an actionable offence? Get a warning or even suspended?

I have a much better idea, just get rid of the reactions entirely to save the hurt feelings of the more sensitive, delicate souls in here.

But then everyone will just crapflood with image macros, I mean, memes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 230 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.