New Valentines Last Name....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just now noticed that around 2006, people could sign up for SL and pick the last name Stawberry. Yes, without an r.

It's impossible to find a relevant search result on the internet. Was this just a typo by a Linden Lab employee, or was it intentional? If so, what's the significance?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I just now noticed that around 2006, people could sign up for SL and pick the last name Stawberry. Yes, without an r.

It's impossible to find a relevant search result on the internet. Was this just a typo by a Linden Lab employee, or was it intentional? If so, what's the significance?

"Schnozzberry" would have been a far better choice.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

It's feasibly a typo.  It's bugged me for years that they misspelled Ellesmere as Ellsmere. :/ 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Oh look, more gimmicky last names, woo, anyway. The marketing team really pushed the boat out this time.

Wonder how long before some NSFW account takes Simp Gimp.

They've added 20 new non gimmicky names in early January, though. And as with usual holidays names when these will rotate out a bit after Valetine's they are going to get replaced by normal ones.

I've actually liked a few of January's batch. Not enough to change one I've picked in 2020, but some usable ones there, for my tastes anyway.

Edited by steeljane42

6 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'm a little surprised that somebody gave the green light for Simp.

What are the odds we'll see Thot as a last name? Camgirl (other relevant words are banned on the forums!)?

Thot is banned?

22 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

Thot is banned?

I don't know if it's banned, but I personally would be leading the pitchfork and torches brigade to Governor Linden's mansion if it, or "camgirl," were ever proposed.

For what it's worth, I think the "simp" is ugly and insulting as well. I can't imagine who would want it, nor why LL would consider using terms of abuse for names.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

For what it's worth, I think the "simp" is ugly and insulting as well. I can't imagine who would want it, nor why LL would consider using terms of abuse for names.

Not sure if you heard about this, but a few years ago (2022 or something like that?) Twitch banned the word simp (and some others) when used as insults, and added it to their hateful conduct policy. There was a time where younger streamers and fans would use it to insult men in their chats (some who admittedly did get a bit out of pocket), and it basically got out of hand, so they squashed its use.

Pretty sure it's still on the list of things you probably don't want to say on stream or in chat in a harassing way, but I admit, it's been a while since I've seen the word used in that context. In a reclaimed sort of way...yes.

Considering the demographic it's mostly used by (Gen Z) and where it appears most (TikTok, Insta, etc.), perhaps LL is targeting a younger audience...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AzureWaves said:

Thot is banned?

No, other similar words are. But since Thot isn't and clearly Simp isn't, Thot should be on the list of names. Fair's fair, after all.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I don't know if it's banned, but I personally would be leading the pitchfork and torches brigade to Governor Linden's mansion if it, or "camgirl," were ever proposed.

I want to make alts named Rich Simp and Audita Thot!

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

No, other similar words are. But since Thot isn't and clearly Simp isn't, Thot should be on the list of names. Fair's fair, after all.

Or . . . crazy idea, I know . . . we avoid entirely the use of all slurs that denigrate and mock anyone!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Or . . . crazy idea, I know . . . we avoid entirely the use of all slurs that denigrate and mock anyone!

I'm beginning to wonder what tacky name they might come up with for Mental Health Awareness month..

• Like 2

As they take user suggestions, why not also put suggestions (minus ones that they sorted out as unusable) up for users to vote on a few days before each turnover. Ideally, that could be double the number of "free name slots", half names they think would be popular, half names they think would not be popular (but might be), maybe even a commentary option for people who'd want to advise against names like "Simp".

It might be a fun regular in-world event for user engagement, a place you maybe even could count on probably meeting forum readers and others around those, say, three days, once it would be known to exist, who'd be in chat mood over the names, could bond over their favourite or most disliked name, would be reminded to hand in a name themselves occasionally,... and might get to enjoy the heartwarming fuzzy feels when they'd see residents with "their" suggested or voted on name, wouldn't that feel like being a godparent to that resident? And maybe even more communication ensuing. 

What I really also would love to see, would be stats like how many names are being sent in, how many of the new batches are user suggestions and how many lab choices, how many names of how many get "rejected" per rejection reason (fine to not spell out those names, of course), per "shuffle/season", or at least per year. :)

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 87 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.