Time for Mainland 2.0

BilliJo Aldrin

A Mainland 2.0 would only last as long as it took for Estate land 3.0 to keep everyone moving from one to the other and then to Belli.. Like a tug of war against itself.  I took a look over at Belli, someone had a skybox with enviro walls around that but transparent on one side, just above their Linden house.  So clutter may get to be a norm over there in time. I'm not sure on what rules LL has set-out for Belli.  

But I also recall 60-80k avatars online as a norm in the way...way...  Wayback Machine.. What are our daily Avatars at now usually?

Edited by Jason1 Draconia
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Jason1 Draconia said:

I'm not sure on what rules LL has set-out for Belli.  

The region covenant states; *Skyboxes, platforms or other floating objects are only allowed above 2000m to keep the skies clear of physical/visual obstructions and casting ground shadows

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jason1 Draconia said:

A Mainland 2.0 would only last as long as it took for Estate land 3.0 to keep everyone moving from one to the other and then to Belli.. Like a tug of war against itself.  I took a look over at Belli, someone had a skybox with enviro walls around that but transparent on one side, just above their Linden house.  So clutter may get to be a norm over there in time. I'm not sure on what rules LL has set-out for Belli.  

But I also recall 60-80k avatars online as a norm in the way...way...  Wayback Machine.. What are our daily Avatars at now usually?

Its about 50k online now but 90% are bots 😂

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2024 at 9:42 AM, Jason1 Draconia said:

I took a look over at Belli, someone had a skybox with enviro walls around that but transparent on one side, just above their Linden house.  So clutter may get to be a norm over there in time. I'm not sure on what rules LL has set-out for Belli. 

There is a Belli covenant which you can read in "About Land>Covenant". It includes this statement... " Skyboxes, platforms or other floating objects are only allowed above 2000m to keep the skies clear of physical/visual obstructions and casting ground shadows"

Should a covenant violation be reported via an AR, governance may eventually act upon it. My experience is that violations such as zero-second orbs or low-altitude skyboxes or security walls are addressed within a few weeks.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2024 at 5:42 PM, Jason1 Draconia said:

I think it is too much to demand that LL should be acting to reports of low skyboxes the second they recieve it. In the whole Bellisseria, how many low skyboxes is it? Bellisseria: 1800 regions. https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019

There must be way over 2000 regions now. But let us say 2000 regions, it ia a nice, round number.

2000 regions and ca. 20 homes in each region. One of 40 000 residents has a low skybox. Even if it is a dozen low skyboxes there, the number in percentage is small, and the Moles take care of them as fast as they can. But it can take a week, and stubborn people can put the skybox back. It is still a low number. People will give up after they got it returned a couple times.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I think it is too much to demand that LL should be acting to reports of low skyboxes the second they recieve it. In the whole Bellisseria, how many low skyboxes is it? Bellisseria: 1800 regions. https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:New_Linden_Homes_2019

There must be way over 2000 regions now. But let us say 2000 regions, it ia a nice, round number.

2000 regions and ca. 20 homes in each region. One of 40 000 residents has a low skybox. Even if it is a dozen low skyboxes there, the number in percentage is small, and the Moles take care of them as fast as they can. But it can take a week, and stubborn people can put the skybox back. It is still a low number. People will give up after they got it returned a couple times.

Contacting the owner of a low skybox with a polite reminder of the Belli Covenant may work faster than ARing it. The last time I reported 3, 2 of the people said thank-you for letting them know. The 3rd needed a little help to learn how to move their skybox, and after I helped her she gave me $L 500.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Linden Lab does not need to invent new Mainland again. Just copy Horizons and set a few rules.

I do not mean rules as in "style of houses", Bellisseria already cover that. Drop the futuristic roads and the mailboxes, replace them with ordinary roads. What matters is how low skyboxes can be, and height of buildings/trees/ground structures. Maybe disable ban lines. If LL want to enforce rules, they can do it. But it is doomed to fail if they do not follow up the rules.

I think the landscaping of Horizons is good, it is lots of waterways crossing through every region. Much more water than in Bellisseria! I also think the landscaping is fine. Some hills and trees is enough, why spend land impact on more?

It is also enough communal land and water to give a feeling of privacy. The plots are not squeezed together.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

Linden Lab does not need to invent new Mainland again. Just copy Horizons and set a few rules.

I do not mean rules as in "style of houses", Bellisseria already cover that. Drop the futuristic roads and the mailboxes, replace them with ordinary roads. What matters is how low skyboxes can be, and height of buildings/trees/ground structures. Maybe disable ban lines. If LL want to enforce rules, they can do it. But it is doomed to fail if they do not follow up the rules.

I think the landscaping of Horizons is good, it is lots of waterways crossing through every region. Much more water than in Bellisseria! I also think the landscaping is fine. Some hills and trees is enough, why spend land impact on more?

It is also enough communal land and water to give a feeling of privacy. The plots are not squeezed together.

What about Bay City as a model too? What are the covenant restrictions there?

I bet folks would be glad to not have low skyboxes, ban lines or glowing objects, if it meant getting more land impact on their parcels.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

Just a thought: Maybe a big ocean, where it is only allowed to have sky boxes above 2000 m and no ban lines.
Combined with some marina sims where one could rent a place to moor your boat, that would make boating heaven I guess.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me I agree the Mainland needs looking at, I like the freedom of no rules per say, I just derender the ugly stuff.  However I would like to see newer better land textures on the whole of the existing mainland.  I would also like to see more area's joined up to the oceans & also that gap bridged between 4096 & 8196sqm on the tier level, some of us may want a 4096sqm main home & a 2048sqm occasional home without the added tier of a 8196sqm.

Anways thats my 2 cents worth :) 

• Like 3

If they did do a mainland 2.0, I'd like to see something like a mix of Horizons and Belli with some unique features.

A lot of canals and a large central sea like Blake, presized lots from 1024 to 4096, homes can be any style but only from a small handful of approved quality builders (Scarlet, Trompe etc), no sky boxes below 2000 and limited to one/parcel, pre done landscaping, parks, natural terrain and flora and roads in common areas, lot ownership like Belli so no speculation/land developers/rental agencies (you actually buy it cheaply from LL and then can only abandon it), no club convenant, and small commercial hubs with stores that again only allow pre-built styles and are owned/sold the same way as housing parcels are.

Belli evolved into something with more features.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Compared to the regular mainland, you see a lot less low-hanging skyboxes in Horizons.  Overall, it's a great place to live.  It falls somewhere between mainland and Linden homes.  Parcels are all one size, no terraforming, a house you can use or not.  Plus, you can't beat double prims!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

What about Bay City as a model too? What are the covenant restrictions there?

I bet folks would be glad to not have low skyboxes, ban lines or glowing objects, if it meant getting more land impact on their parcels.

It is the same, no terraforming, fixed parcel size and double prims. I am keeping an eye on the parcels I rented in Bay City before. I am moving back if the current tenant is leaving.

Bay City is pretty.

Horizons is adult. The price to rent isn't higher in Horizons, so people are not lining up because they need to do slex outdoors. It is always some empty parcels there to rent.

Rental agencies rent out double, triple, quadruple parcels side-to side to each other, as one whole parcel. They can't be merged, but work as one parcel.

And the price to buy plots there is astronomical, because of double prims. Mmm... double prims....

🤤

The only thing I miss is terraforming, but it had to be a very strict range. Maybe 2 m down. Just enough for a pool. We can't have nice things, there are always some who would raise up land as far as it goes.

When I zoom out on the map, it is really many regions and homesteads in addition to Mainland and Bellisseria. People are willing to pay for a lot of land, even if I think SL land is too expensive. Both buying, renting and tier. I could not live in a Sandbox again as I did the first years in SL. Changing house, landscaping... it is what I like in SL.

• Like 4

On 4/28/2024 at 5:39 AM, Amnesia Babii said:

For me I agree the Mainland needs looking at, I like the freedom of no rules per say, I just derender the ugly stuff.  However I would like to see newer better land textures on the whole of the existing mainland.  I would also like to see more area's joined up to the oceans & also that gap bridged between 4096 & 8196sqm on the tier level, some of us may want a 4096sqm main home & a 2048sqm occasional home without the added tier of a 8196sqm.

Anways thats my 2 cents worth :) 

4096 tier is 22 dollars a month, 8196 is only 31 bucks a month, you get twice as much land for only an extra 9 dollars. That's a heck of a good deal, in fact it's the best deal in a tier jump... that's why i bumped to 8196 😂

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 11:47 PM, Sid Nagy said:

Just a thought: Maybe a big ocean, where it is only allowed to have sky boxes above 2000 m and no ban lines.
Combined with some marina sims where one could rent a place to moor your boat, that would make boating heaven I guess.

Yes; make water sims pay for themselves, rather than just being vast empty homesteads for the convenience of sailors. Insert the ocean between existing landmasses and let people live on the seabed or in outer space. Any islands, houseboats, or plywood rafts to be nuked on sight.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sparkle Bunny said:

Yes; make water sims pay for themselves, rather than just being vast empty homesteads for the convenience of sailors. Insert the ocean between existing landmasses and let people live on the seabed or in outer space. Any islands, houseboats, or plywood rafts to be nuked on sight.

What if they physical stuff and drop it into the ocean? 

image.thumb.png.7b75f1f185f072be5cc4355834d15ea2.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

png

ooo contact mines for when sailors cross into your property, i like it... instant tp home of course, because who could survive a mine explosion in a crappy little sailboat?

And its not a zero second security orb, so there should be no complaints from "those people" 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/28/2024 at 4:46 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Compared to the regular mainland, you see a lot less low-hanging skyboxes in Horizons.  Overall, it's a great place to live.  It falls somewhere between mainland and Linden homes.  Parcels are all one size, no terraforming, a house you can use or not.  Plus, you can't beat double prims!

The concept of Horizon is good. Could still need some improvement IMHO like different plot sizes. The land prices are ridiculous IMHO (to put it mildly), but that would fix itself if LL would release more of this type of land.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

The concept of Horizon is good. Could still need some improvement IMHO like different plot sizes. The land prices are ridiculous IMHO (to put it mildly), but that would fix itself if LL would release more of this type of land.

Yep just keep adding land until you bleed the flippers white 😂

37 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yep just keep adding land until you bleed the flippers white 😂

Land is not there for land flippers in the first place. The prices will not drop all of a sudden, but gradually.
The flippers will have to pay attention. All land barons, merchants and other SL entrepreneurs have to, so why not the land flippers who try to overcharge until goes no more?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Thanks 1