Treehouses

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Now that I've found good items fitting the region for the outside of the house, I've got to redo the interior - which presently just takes a bunch of things I'm using in my log home and moves them around.

Been trying to find some good fantasy like kitchens. Dysfunctional has some but... they're not functional. ;)

A lot of other places go in for overly dark tones which is not the aesthetic I'm looking for.

I am not sure what a "fantasy" kitchen is tbh. I just used this Brocante one. It will be cute when I add the kitchen knickknacks and food stuff.

Kitchen before nicknacks.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Those lines that appear at night over the outside of the treehouse are interesting. I can get my exterior shell to snug in just below that layer, but unfortunately, the shell is then so close to the layer below that it flashes when the camera is pulled out.

The cut is too tight.

Here:

image.thumb.png.a2d50eade5cbbd84d48f5f8fb6aa6eed.png

When I change that Y coordinate from 211.003 to 211.0 it's still above the glow - but at 211.0 it flashes. At 210.999 it is below the layer.

Can't get below the glow without being in "camera flash" territory. In this case I am making that picture about half transparent to get an effect that doesn't flash:

Screenshot2023-10-29130720.png.2ffa2a18e77edc631c559e189da857b9.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

I could do the script, if the lines are on a separate face, or set of faces. I would need someone who's more familiar with Fantasseria (maybe @Polenth Yue?) to nail down the seasonal dates and colors (or textures?).  I bet the Lindens do this by sending a message to Fantasseria's servers when it's time to change the seasons.  Blush, you would probably choose to hard-code the season dates in the shells.

I'm undecided how I'll do colours, though I'll likely make a tintable one so people can sort it that way. This is because it's debatable which colour/shade would be best (and likely different depending on the decor around the house). I've listed the main one first, but there are variations in shades between items and summer has some very different colours. You won't be entirely sure what shades the treehouse will be until you've seen all the seasons. (Non-glowing parts and items also change colour and those colours aren't always the glow colour.)

Spring (March / April / May) - Green

Summer (June / July / August) - Yellow / Pink / Peach

Autumn (Sept / Oct / Nov) - Orange

Winter (Dec / Jan / Feb) - Light Blue

The exact crossover of the season is technically ending the last day of the last month in the season and starting on the first day of the first month. The time I saw it happen, it was before midnight rather than on the dot. In a similar way, you'll notice not everything switches to night mode at the exact same time and some items can get out of sequence.

Edited by Polenth Yue
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:
17 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

That sounds exactly like MoonSha to me!

Yeah I was in their store last night but all their kitchens were extremely dark in color palette. Will look again though.

I would like lighter wood too, and in a Medieval theme, but I'm wondering if they didn't have lighter wood back then.  If you find any, please let me know!

• Like 1

I ended up with a popular kitchen from Dysfunctionality with is... dysfunctional (no activity scripts, just a color change script I removed after picking colors).

This isn't exactly fantasy - but it still looked like a better fit to the tree houses than the usual stuff in SL which looks like it was made for Skyrim.

image.thumb.png.60b3a766bb1271d6eda8a6eadc39ba12.png

In time I will add in animations from my old kitchen - but that rezzes props like cutting boards which are scripted to delete if rezzed out of something different (jerk move) - so I need to hunt down props first.

Also: The counter on the right has the bottles and fruit bowls as part of the same mesh as the countertop. I need to find a matching counter somewhere for some more counter space.

Now I am on to making the living room furniture less modern and more in theme.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 8

Had a wander found the fantasy theme to see how many people have swapped over to the new treehouses.  Seems like quite a few have already, and looking really good too, in general.

Which leads me to a question regarding the covenant. I think the rule is currently that you cant build any kind of structure more than 15m above the ground of your parcel. I'm wondering if builds like this below are going to be acceptable in the treehouses O.o

Treehouse.jpg

Edited by Eowyn Southmoor
added pic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 6

3 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Which leads me to a question regarding the covenant. I think the rule is currently that you cant build any kind of structure more than 15m above the ground of your parcel.

It might be a good idea to amend the covenant to remind treehousers that the 15m rule above GROUND level remains in effect and that roof additions must be in theme and should not extend more than TBD m above the roof ridge.

• Like 6

• Moles
10 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

It might be a good idea to amend the covenant to remind treehousers that the 15m rule above GROUND level remains in effect and that roof additions must be in theme and should not extend more than TBD m above the roof ridge.

5 meters. 

"Privacy walls or fences should match the theme and extend no more than 4m above ground level. All other structures should not extend higher than 15m above ground level or sea level, whichever is higher. Add-ons to homes themselves should not be taller than 5m above the tallest point of the roofline of the home."

aaaand...

"Linden Homes should be kept presentable and in-theme to their unique areas."

Edited by Abnor Mole
"aaaand"
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7

• Moles

The 5m amendment was added to the covenant when the Treehouses were deployed to allow for people to build add ons to their treehouses without breaking the 15m above ground rule. It also allows for add ons to the rest of the houses even if the house itself is already close to 15m. The 5m above the roofline rule only applies if the total height is above 15m. (i.e. a house model that is only 5m tall can have an add on that is 10m rather than 5m.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

• Moles
14 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Which leads me to a question regarding the covenant. I think the rule is currently that you cant build any kind of structure more than 15m above the ground of your parcel. I'm wondering if builds like this below are going to be acceptable in the treehouses O.o

But no... this type of thing was never allowable under the covenant, not only because of the height but it is out of theme for fantasy and I have that blimp myself so I know there is no way it fits within the parcel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Abnor Mole said:

The 5m amendment was added to the covenant when the Treehouses were deployed to allow for people to build add ons to their treehouses without breaking the 15m above ground rule. It also allows for add ons to the rest of the houses even if the house itself is already close to 15m. The 5m above the roofline rule only applies if the total height is above 15m. (i.e. a house model that is only 5m tall can have an add on that is 10m rather than 5m.)

For clarification, does the 5m from the top of the roof-line amendment only apply to the Fantasy theme? Or is the limit still only 15m above ground for all other themes?

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

The 5m amendment was added to the covenant when the Treehouses were deployed to allow for people to build add ons to their treehouses without breaking the 15m above ground rule.

Yeah I was thinking last night that without that rule tweak even having a rug in your living room would be a violation as the floor itself is 15m above ground. :D

(That said I had always thought the rule was 15m above your rooftop and not above ground - luckily I'd never put up added floors so it was never an issue for me. But I guess I've been misreading that this whole time.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Speaking of sticking to theme. I'm slowly rebuilding the interior of my home to be in theme.

But now I need suggestions for ground vehicles. I have a motorbike out on the lawn - I want to replace it with a fantasy vehicle that "fits". But my Land Impact budget for this is extremely tight.

The current bike uses 8 LI. I have 47 left but am likely to burn half of that in the item swaps I'm doing inside or I'd just rez my Teegle FFXIV Chocobo bird (which burns up 40 LI just being there... ouch).

Years ago when Steampunk was one of the largest communities in SL this would be easy - and I still see their stuff on MP but half of it is pre-mesh. Some even looks suspiciously pre-sculpty.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 7:53 AM, Trinity Blakewell said:

Fantasy kitchens...I'd look into rustic, antique, farmhouse, shabby chic.  

While searching for a fantasy replacement to my modern living room and bedroom, I found another shop that has fantasy to "vintage" to modern stuff (in three sections with some slight crossover). "Velvet Whip" (that's their SLURL inworld).

Mostly very low Land Impact AND low cost but seems to hold up LOD wise when I cam around it.

They even had an 'undersea bed' I might pick up for my houseboat lot where I often use a mermaid look - if I get ideas for a mermaid build under the water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Speaking of sticking to theme. I'm slowly rebuilding the interior of my home to be in theme.

But now I need suggestions for ground vehicles. I have a motorbike out on the lawn - I want to replace it with a fantasy vehicle that "fits". But my Land Impact budget for this is extremely tight.

The current bike uses 8 LI. I have 47 left but am likely to burn half of that in the item swaps I'm doing inside or I'd just rez my Teegle FFXIV Chocobo bird (which burns up 40 LI just being there... ouch).

Years ago when Steampunk was one of the largest communities in SL this would be easy - and I still see their stuff on MP but half of it is pre-mesh. Some even looks suspiciously pre-sculpty.

Check out Dove & Pear.  Their vehicles are very whimsical...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/238426

Only 8LI...

image.png.f0fe449780318b85009eaea97d69ef72.png

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 7

Tree houses?

Hmmmmm...why not just build your own?  I did that  over two years ago, any time I rolled a home with LL-owned trees on the parcel.  Of course mine were more the Calvin and Hobbes definition of a tree house.

treehouse.webp.a12a7e904af6d10ffbf50416600e6f2e.webp

Just two prims:  One for the floor (stretched cube to squeeze it into a flat rectangle, with a hole in it for entry), one for the walls (cube with a giant hole in it so it lacks a roof), and a simple wood texture from either a  Linden pack or the original textures the viewers provide.

So, OK, more of a tree FORT than a tree home.  But I even threw one into each tree on my trailer parcel near Lake Whateveritscalled and the Whateveritscalled "Grand Lodge" (hey, it's been two years since I owned any parcel in this game, so I forget the names of places).  Then I connected them all with a rope 'n' plank bridge mod-yes/copy-yes I got cheap off the Marketplace to create an overhead walkway network between each of the tree forts.  And of course I measured everything meticulously to stay under the 15 meter height limit.

Then I decorated the inside with a free shell made by the person who ran Cabinet of the Curious  (sorry, I forget your name, I rarely play SL any more and my memory has dimmed as I've gotten older), and a whole bunch of fantasy-themed stuff.  This was all for an alt who's avi was one of the basic mesh Linden avis for new accounts -- an elf.

Note that this was all before the Elven Glen or whatever it's called part of Belli had been created.  Sorry for the lack of pictures of what it looked like -- my inventory of Second Life pictures is almost as big as my in-game inventory of objects lol

• Like 2

20 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Yeah I was thinking last night that without that rule tweak even having a rug in your living room would be a violation as the floor itself is 15m above ground. :D

(That said I had always thought the rule was 15m above your rooftop and not above ground - luckily I'd never put up added floors so it was never an issue for me. But I guess I've been misreading that this whole time.)

I would love for LL to actually enforce the 15M above ground/sea floor in the houseboats theme area, please please please. People are building 3-story houseboat mansions over there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AzureWaves said:

I would love for LL to actually enforce the 15M above ground/sea floor in the houseboats theme area, please please please. People are building 3-story houseboat mansions over there.

It's sea level, not floor, as far as I know. Staying within the 15M rule, it's still quite easy to build 3-story add-ons.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 104 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.