SL Hot Takes & Unpopular Opinions!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Unity Evermore said:

I think there should be a bad customer thread to balance the threads complaining about creators.

That's my impression too --  far more threads complaining about creators than customers.

I'm glad to run across someone who, like myself, believes in equality!   😁

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It hasn't been required for more than 10 years.

Nearly, I believe it changed in 2015. :) But if the minor wants to spend any money they are going to need a means for paying for Lindens, which most likely ends up being a credit card.

Really the issue isn't about a credit card. The real issue is thinking minors under age 16, who aren't permitted to make accounts, aren't actually making accounts and accessing SL. Or thinking that minors, 16-18, who are only permitted in G rated regions don't end up in A rated regions. This happened even when we had a teen grid. I really don't see a way to stop it. It's a parenting issue not an SL issue in my opinion, unpopular or not.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

That's my impression too --  far more threads complaining about creators than customers.

I read complaints about customers in some creators' profiles. Some are actually quite funny so I'd vote for such a thread!

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 9:01 AM, steeljane42 said:

LL should close mainland completely; at worst keep/expand Belliseria a bit. The amount of people who care about laggy experience using vehicles through those relics of the past (and thus would quit if mainland wasn't a thing) does not make even the fraction of money needed to keep as many regions running 24/7, especially ones with 90-100% abandoned parcels. Saved money/resources should be used to make private regions much cheaper.

Ridiculous. LL should do nothing of the source and won't, for the simple reason that Mainland produces more revenue for them than Bellisseria. Bellisseria may be equal to or surpassing resident-tiered mainland, but look at the sims -- they are half empty. A Mainland resident has to buy the premium account AND pay tier if he owns more than 1024 m2. And many do. Fly around and look at the large land holders. There is no question that the revenue from Mainland is significant, pays for the Amazon servers, and therefore is needed for LL's botton lines. Island owners and rentals give LL the lion's share of their revenue, but Mainland is significant. 

If the Lindens were to do anything, they'd push islands more by reducing their price if they meant to delete Mainland but when questioned about this many times, they insist that they are not going to do that. If anything, their plan is to delete old Linden homes.

Lag is exaggerated and mainly invoked to serve island dealers. Plenty of people are driving around and enjoying Mainland nature and various venues, stores, and clubs that yes, are on the Mainland where rent is cheaper and tier to LL is cheaper than islands. The end. 

• Like 7

On 10/25/2023 at 11:34 AM, Ivy Mysterious said:

I disagree wholeheartedly. As someone who participates in the adult RP side of SL regularly, the reason it's become so hypersexualized is because that's what the vast majority of it's users want. If that wasn't the case, most of its creators wouldn't be making stuff for it, adult and BDSM furniture, lingerie and other sexy clothing, toys etc.

If you don't care for adult content on SL, it's easy enough to avoid by steering away from adult sims and Zindra, and fixing your search parameters for G and M only. 

• Like 6

On 10/25/2023 at 11:06 AM, AmeliaJ08 said:

Is there? I've seen nothing like SL as far as that goes.

There's at least one sex-focused platform that has landscape/terrain editing tools that put SL's to shame, the ability to have 100+ avatars in one location without lag, and "regions" that are 10x the size of a sim with more realistic water to boot. Plus, the sex animations just work, there's no need to adjust a poseball to get things to line up right, things render at impossible distances, decent avatar models, etc. Granted, limitations exist ...

No aircraft or mobile land vehicles, and no sailing the boat models. Little furry activity, no ability to alter your avatars height (see the sex lining up thing) or inflate your male thing to the size of an elephants leg, less clothing options (but they're free so equals out?), customization of avatars is more limited, no (ahem) animal stuff, little ability to make a pre-teen and hit the Loli places (many of us would consider this a huge benefit though), limited but a decent range of dances/animations, inability to sell items, etc.

But yes, there are platforms and more planned, but limited in many ways.

5 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Actually, I have never stepped foot inside a WalMart. Ever.

One of the last times I remember going, I got caught laughing at some unfortunate souls..had to run to my car!

Learned a lesson that day: Don't let them see you laughing at them.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Unity Evermore said:

Humans may survive after the sun turns dark, but they're going to have to relocate away from the current home planet.

I'm sorry, but there's not really enough room in my small cargo starship hidden under a false barn about 20 minutes into the countryside from here for anyone besides me, a few close family members, the cats, the art I subtly replaced from MoMA, and the one replicant I have that looks like Heidi Klum.

Ignore that last bit.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I would not participate in a thread about complaining about customers.
Mine are all nice and super duper. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I'm sorry, but there's not really enough room in my small cargo starship hidden under a false barn about 20 minutes into the countryside from here for anyone besides me, a few close family members, the cats, the art I subtly replaced from MoMA, and the one replicant I have that looks like Heidi Klum.

Ignore that last bit.

Mine sits atop a spinning needle and looks like a restaurant. 🤭

305px-SpaceNeedleTopClose.jpg

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:
4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Haha

Seriously, most of my customers have been great...but every so often...........ack!

I try to be understanding when they seem defensive, as often they've had a terrible experience with a creator and don't trust I'll try to help them.

Have usually had good experiences when contacting creators too.

• Like 1

I always loved customer service. Really. I met a lot of nice people that way.
Over all these years I only had one or two customers that were really a pain in the ..., but that is years ago already.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

There's at least one sex-focused platform that has landscape/terrain editing tools that put SL's to shame, the ability to have 100+ avatars in one location without lag, and "regions" that are 10x the size of a sim with more realistic water to boot. Plus, the sex animations just work, there's no need to adjust a poseball to get things to line up right, things render at impossible distances, decent avatar models, etc. Granted, limitations exist ...

No aircraft or mobile land vehicles, and no sailing the boat models. Little furry activity, no ability to alter your avatars height (see the sex lining up thing) or inflate your male thing to the size of an elephants leg, less clothing options (but they're free so equals out?), customization of avatars is more limited, no (ahem) animal stuff, little ability to make a pre-teen and hit the Loli places (many of us would consider this a huge benefit though), limited but a decent range of dances/animations, inability to sell items, etc.

But yes, there are platforms and more planned, but limited in many ways.

TIL, I had no idea

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

56 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I always love customer service. Really. I met a lot of nice people that way.
Over all these years I only had one or two customers that were really a pain in the ..., but that is years ago already.

I do not understand this..what do you call.."sarcasm"?

On 10/25/2023 at 2:01 PM, steeljane42 said:

LL should close mainland completely; at worst keep/expand Belliseria a bit. The amount of people who care about laggy experience using vehicles through those relics of the past (and thus would quit if mainland wasn't a thing) does not make even the fraction of money needed to keep as many regions running 24/7, especially ones with 90-100% abandoned parcels. Saved money/resources should be used to make private regions much cheaper.

Hate to rain on your parade but...

1. Nomadic Vehicle Fanatics are NOT the primary users of mainland, that would be mainland parcel owners, many of them residential, and even more in the hands of large land speculators, which is a substantial amount of premium subscriptions, and Tier payments.

2. Mainland is NOT "90-100% abandoned", figures from Grid Survey seem to suggest a figure closer to 20%. That's about 80% occupied and being paid for and awful lot of lost tier revenue.

Like many Bellicosians, you VASTLY overestimate your importance, when expressing your hatred for Mainlanders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Hate to rain on your parade but...

1. Nomadic Vehicle Fanatics are NOT the primary users of mainland, that would be mainland parcel owners, many of them residential, and even more in the hands of large land speculators, which is a substantial amount of premium subscriptions, and Tier payments.

2. Mainland is NOT "90-100% abandoned", figures from Grid Survey seem to suggest a figure closer to 20%. That's about 80% occupied and being paid for and awful lot of lost tier revenue.

Like many Bellicosians, you VASTLY overestimate your importance, when expressing your hatred for Mainlanders.

Assuming much? I was premium for one month back in 2020 when it was a requirement to change the last name (not on this account, obviously), and I see zero value in premium whatsoever. Extra groups are not too terrible to have, but not worth to pay for premium for this perk alone, not for me anyway. If anything, my rare few visits to Belliseria left me with a bad impression, because of how dull it was there.

I've been renting on private islands from 2013 to 2020, when I got my own full region, and wouldn't touch both mainland and LL homes (old and new alike) with a long stick.

That said, my point about expanding was simply because apparently there's actually demand for this sort of stuff, somehow.

And I never said it was all abandoned within 90-100%, I clearly said "especially ones with" that amount of abandoned parcels. And there are definitely some regions that are very much 90-100% abandoned, because mainland dwellers prefer to have some water and/or road access, so a bunch of regions that are somewhere deep within continents are literally just empty piles of rocks, with maybe an occasional small parcel used for in-world store (that's how I see those anyway, as I don't explore mainland for "fun").

Grid survey stats regarding that are from nearly 7 years ago, too. And even then, it's just abandoned, there's a lot of parcels and full regions owned by LL accounts that never were/are for sale or rent to begin with, so they purely exist for the fun of those vehicle fanatics. Every waterway, lots of sea/ocean regions, protected land surrounding the roads and so on. I would guess at least half of mainland just exists for such purposes.

But I suppose those large land speculators you've mentioned, which constantly sell/rent out, buy back parcels around zones that are considered popular make LL enough money so that still stays afloat.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I do not understand this..what do you call.."sarcasm"?

My first post was a general statement.
IMHO merchants should never complain in public about their customers. That is simply bad advertisement.
Besides  merchants that have often problems with their customers, do something fundamentally wrong IMHO.

I personally never had serious problems with customer service. It is so simple: Be friendly, solve the problem, toss in a small gift for the inconvenience (even if it is totally not my fault). That almost always works.
That's where my second post was about.

In hindsight I should have merged those two posts into one. But hey.... now I could be positive about my customers 3 times. :D

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I think you're afraid

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Be friendly, solve the problem, toss in a small gift for the inconvenience (even if it is totally not my fault). That almost always works.

A gift? Sounds like a bribe to dissuade them from giving you a bad review.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I read complaints about customers in some creators' profiles. Some are actually quite funny so I'd vote for such a thread!

Me too.. I remember years ago when there used to be kind of an unwritten rule with the regular creators that hung out in the forums.. It went something like,  if you were a creator and bitched about customers in the forums.. Don't have your store in your signature..

It didn't used to be uncommon to hear creators complaints about customers in the forums or mingling about situations.. Just be smart and don't advertise while doing it.. hehehehe

ETA: Also it wasn't really just about the customer thing, but also getting involved in drama in the forums as well.. I guess because it could possibly impact their business..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Unity Evermore said:

I've got it. I will start a thread about bad customers and put Sid Nagy's store in my signature.

And you're telling me this because?

ETA: Also, remember not to say it's your store.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.