What do you think "LL will 'never' Change or Fix"?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

People just LOVE to complain about things they don't like about LL / Second Life.

Often times, people "JUST KNOW" these things will "NEVER" be changed or fixed.

Discussions about this are some of the more.."exciting" topics that I've seen.  

I am more on the "positive" side of the spectrum, because I see Linden Lab making so many changes in recent years.

I think, with a dedicated topic, we can have more of a "discussion" on it.  This is because, when individual topics are raised for individual complaints, they get too contentious (because nobody agrees with the Original Poster, etc.).

Here's some low-hanging fruit to get started:

- "SL will never have a Mobile viewer." (We know that's not true, unless you think the current one will never be finished).

- "LL will never do anything about Bots." (They kind of did, not long ago..)

- "LL will never acknowledge how 'Adult' SL actually is, and will miss out because of it!" (This was an interesting one awhile back.)

- "LL will not do anything about the the 'mess' that is Mainland." (Well, I kind of agree with this one..)

What do YOU think that LL just won't ever change about Second Life - something you like, something you don't like, or just something you want to "moan" about?

• Like 1

A user friendly viewer UI. Especially the Inventory one. It is probably the number one reason for low user retention rates and the steep learning curve.

They don't seem to be willing to give us response emoticons that are relevant. Maybe they don't have anyone on staff that knows how? Just giving them the benefit of the doubt rather then accusing them of going out of their way to not give us what many have asked for in past.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I doubt there will ever again be a truly international team.

Not counting all the "offshore" support staff, right? 

For instance, if a majority of the workers (whether "contractors" or not) happen to be in India or China. 

If you're right, that's a shame! 

Just now, KanryDrago said:

SL will never have a mobile viewer..... I totally hope not it will mean a rise in silent statues in places.

Just checking (since I had not seen you post much recently)..

You ARE aware of the mobile viewer in progress, which will be in "Beta" testing sometime next quarter or year..right? 

There were very nice video presentations of it earlier.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just checking (since I had not seen you post much recently)..

You ARE aware of the mobile viewer in progress, which will be in "Beta" testing sometime next quarter or year..right? 

There were very nice video presentations of it earlier.

I gave up posting after getting a 3 day in game ban for a mild insult to an idiot. All I said was the only difference between him and plankton was he was taller

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 12

• LL has long had a perspective of not breaking backwards compatibility. There are often features / changes we don't get because giving them to us would break something old. Especially when it comes to scripts. Many other applications, online games, virtual realities will happily break old things if it lets them move forward.
  • The 'SL is very adult' thing became an issue under M Linden right? The guy who wanted to get rid of all of the 'casual users' and make SL into a corporate conferencing app. A decade before the 'metaverse' hype and the rise of Zoom. But ever since his era - while they've done a massive flip back and SL resembles a "game" now more than ever before - they're still shy about one of it's largest 'use cases'.
  • LL seems like they will never complete some of the old continent coastlines... some of these places have lingered half finished for most of SL's history.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought of a good one!  The viewer "crash" (that's "not a crash") issue when you teleport sometimes.

I've been following a thread where fixes for that are being discussed. 

While a lot of the tech goes over my head I have been watching that thread also.

Over the years there have been some projects supposedly dealing with region crossings.

That thread leaves me with the impression that there has actually never been a serious dip into the problems that occur both with teleports and region crossings.

While there may not be a way to know how many people, especially new sign ups, have given  up on SL because of these issues, I would propose that it is a significant number.

It's been a few years since I last had my motorcycle out on the Mainland roads but I should probably give it another try now. I'd given up on it because the odds of a successful crossing was about zilch. Considering the popularity of motorcycles in SL it is telling that you never see any of the motorcycle clubs out riding the Mainland roads.

Edited by Perrie Juran
punctuation, grammer
  • Like 5

LL will never again be transparent about their "Police Blotter" so we mere residents will never ever have the slightest clue if an abuse report we submitted was acted upon.

LL will never re-employ the good ones that they summarily dismissed previously (and I still miss you Oskar).

LL will never reduce tier fees.

LL will never be able to fix the teleport/region crossing issues, mainly because they're caused by a combination of reasons and when they try and fix one thing it throws another out of kilter.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Perrie Juran said:

While a lot of the tech goes over my head I have been watching that thread also.

Over the years there have been some projects supposedly dealing with region crossings.

That thread leaves me with the impression that there has actually never been a serious dip into the problems that occur both with teleports and region crossings.

While there may not be a way to know how many people, especially new sign ups, have given  up on SL because of these issues, I would propose that it is a significant number.

It's been a few years since I last had my motorcycle out on the Mainland roads but I should probably give it another try now. I'd given up on it because the odds of a successful crossing was about zilch. Considering the popularity of motorcycles in SL it is telling that you never see any of the motorcycle clubs out riding the Mainland roads.

We had a little bit more success when crossing regions as giant racing snails, but then our scripts and HUDs were off, so there was very little to get stuck during the process. Although I did manage to get stuck under a road one time, which was a tad frustrating for me, but amusing for some of the spectators that stopped to laugh.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 231 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.