Body packs vs single colors: Which do you prefer?

Arwyn Quandry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

No, it's simple, you get only 2 or 3 pieces, depending if there is an alpha included. One is the piece, the other is the hud that contains several bodies and/or body add-ons.

What you're actually wearing is ALL the body sizes.  The HUD doesn't contain anything aside from the script that changes the body type.  In the case of this simple tank top, you're wearing 8 sizes.  

Screenshot(13).thumb.png.725b03ba5f4fafd5bb9b30a53e601ae6.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

No, it's simple, you get only 2 or 3 pieces, depending if there is an alpha included. One is the piece, the other is the hud that contains several bodies and/or body add-ons.

Yeah but the way it works is that you're wearing all the meshes for all those bodies at once and theres a script making certain faces visible depending on what body you've chosen...

It's just a very strange way of doing it and the jury is still out on if this contributes to lag, I'm not sure if it does or not but at the very least it's very much not the way clothing is packaged in SL.

Can anyone with the tech knowledge comment on if 100% transparency means clients ignore a rigged mesh?

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

I'm a one body girl and have been since day one (excluding my TWI collection of animal avatars), so I would far prefer getting all the colours of an outfit and only one body, rather than one colour of an outfit and a half dozen extra bodies included that I will never, ever use.

That's why some of the stores that are part of my faves include clothing stores that offer a range of colours for an outfit at a decent price, for example, Just Because and exXeSs.

Sure, I'll buy fatpacks from my very favourite places like Mimikri, ValentinaE, and others, but if the world went all the colours (or at least a half dozen colours/pattern per outfit) and only one body as a more general rule, I'd be very happy.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

What you're actually wearing is ALL the body sizes.  The HUD doesn't contain anything aside from the script that changes the body type.  In the case of this simple tank top, you're wearing 8 sizes.  

Screenshot(13).thumb.png.725b03ba5f4fafd5bb9b30a53e601ae6.png

Does this company start with an M? Lol. I think I know who you are talking about. And I honestly dislike that method. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dorientje Woller said:

There is one creator, so far that I know, that sells its gear with a body selector ... but not in a way described here. You wear the piece you bought, you add the included hud, select the body you are using and the piece adapt to the body.

Yeah as some others have pointed out this is literally the worst possible solution of all ways of doing it.

You're wearing EVERYTHING all at once all the time and might as well get streamed on Netflix. ;)

The HUD is just flipping transparencies - but you're still carting around a giant lead safe full of corpses behind you.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Does this company start with an M? Lol. I think I know who you are talking about. And I honestly dislike that method. 

I've encountered it on demos from at least 2 brands. So this idea / way of doing things risks spreading like some kind of nasty social disease if it doesn't get stamped out...

It's bad like the old days when you'd buy 300-prim hair with a unique resize script inside each prim levels of bad...

EDIT: Wait no... I just remembered a third demo that had this. Time for us to all bring out the masks and 6-prims of social distancing folks... we might be infected.

EDIT 2: Since I know some people take everything posted here with the seriousness of sitting in a bunker listening to Churchill during the Martian invasion of London... I hope you can see the above has some teeny tiny elements of humor in it.

The HUD to toggle bodies might be a decent way to do demos, but anyone with merchant friends should gently discourage them with a shovel and waterboarding kit to not use that trick on final products. ;)

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 1

Single color. Usually when I am shopping, at events, I'm trying to pick up a new, stylish outfit. I don't need the same dress or top in 15 different colors, and paying a lot more for it! Also, I have three bodies that I currently consider "active" in my inventory - Legacy, Maitreya, and Erika Zero+. Clothing for Erika is so limited that when I do get a style with it, I want both Erika and at least Legacy. And who knows what will happen after I get an opportunity to try the Maitreya update?

• Like 1

I usually go with the body pack, especially if it’s like 399-599. There’s been many times in the past when I’ve bought a single color and I just needed the same item but in a different color than the one I bought. 

I usually end up deleting all of the bodies I don’t wear from a single pack.

I’m not too big on freebies, but I love a bargain. To me, spending a little more for all of the colors is a bargain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I usually go with the body pack, especially if it’s like 399-599. There’s been many times in the past when I’ve bought a single color and I just needed the same item but in a different color than the one I bought. 

I usually end up deleting all of the bodies I don’t wear from a single pack.

I’m not too big on freebies, but I love a bargain. To me, spending a little more for all of the colors is a bargain.

Depends on what a store offers, if they offer you buy by body. Great, I am on that on flies on poop. If they offer a fatpack, with a smart unpacker by body. Awesome, less clutter in my inventory. If it's the old school way, where you click to unpack or it auto unpacks. I am totally fine with that, but dislike the fact I have to go through and clean and organize after massive shopping sprees. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

but dislike the fact I have to go through and clean and organize after massive shopping sprees. 

Oh yeah... so many items have gone unused because cleaning up the messy unpacking is just...

I noted what I prefer upthread but again: sell by single body works best because I only keep to one body. If I change to a new body because of updates or end of support for an old one - then I'll look at things again. But I rarely change from an old body to an even older one so in the few times I've done that over the years it's meant buying new outfits anyway.

It'd be interesting to see how many stick to just one body and how many people swap around regularly. I suspect most people stick to one body or the popularity of the different bodies would be closer together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Oh yeah... so many items have gone unused because cleaning up the messy unpacking is just...

I noted what I prefer upthread but again: sell by single body works best because I only keep to one body. If I change to a new body because of updates or end of support for an old one - then I'll look at things again. But I rarely change from an old body to an even older one so in the few times I've done that over the years it's meant buying new outfits anyway.

It'd be interesting to see how many stick to just one body and how many people swap around regularly. I suspect most people stick to one body or the popularity of the different bodies would be closer together.

I have always stuck to one body and head. And even one look. I mean the people who constantly change all that, I don't know how they do that. I would get confused myself, especially if I had an entirely new look. I would be like. Who is this? This ain't me. Oh, yeah, I changed my look. That's why. So I stick with one look, one body, one head. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Depends on what a store offers, if they offer you buy by body. Great, I am on that on flies on poop. If they offer a fatpack, with a smart unpacker by body. Awesome, less clutter in my inventory. If it's the old school way, where you click to unpack or it auto unpacks. I am totally fine with that, but dislike the fact I have to go through and clean and organize after massive shopping sprees. 

Hm…I haven’t come across a fatpack by body where it just craps out items. I guess I’ve been lucky where the ones I get just have the item and a hud.

22 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Hm…I haven’t come across a fatpack by body where it just craps out items. I guess I’ve been lucky where the ones I get just have the item and a hud.

Yeah I wasn't saying that, I am talking about the way that they have done it since like 2013. Where they pack all sizes in a HUD or a package and you have to weed through and delete the stuff that is not for your body. The by body pack or the smart unpacker with body selection, is by far the best thing that SL creators invented in SL. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Yeah I wasn't saying that, I am talking about the way that they have done it since like 2013. Where they pack all sizes in a HUD or a package and you have to weed through and delete the stuff that is not for your body. The by body pack or the smart unpacker with body selection, is by far the best thing that SL creators invented in SL. 

Ok

Interesting question...

I am in the middle of picking a new body. I am now convinced that I'll have to give up my Slink bodies. While I bought a Belliza GenX I will be abandoning it since they won't let me develop for it. Wish I had asked for the Dev Kit BEFORE I bought it.

Multi-body pack... I like but I only buy items made for my body. Which, right now, is still Slink. If I REALLY REALLY like something and it comes in GenX I sometimes cave and buy it. But a multi-body pack is NOT a deciding factor for me. If it is a single body and the body I need, that is good.

Color packs... for this it depends on the price. If something comes in 50 colors and I only like 2 of them... I'll often buy two single-color dresses to save money. If I really like an item I'll go for the multiple-color pack.

A lot of the decision depends on how much I like an item. Unfortunately, that doesn't lend itself well to designers' decision-making.

• Like 2

I've been paying more attention to my shopping habits than I normally would..

What I notice about myself over the past few weeks is. I pay more attention to what fits at the time than I do what else comes in the pack..

Just like I may buy a whole outfit just for the jeans.. If the jeans don't come separate and I want those jeans, I'm getting everything, unless it's really crazy priced..

Lately I've been messing around with the Reborn Waifu addon and the Juicy rolls.. Not at the same time though..

What I noticed is when the addon is on, I'm looking for things made for that addon.. It doesn't matter if it comes in boxes or if it's a hud that lets me unpack each body separately..

I notice that I shop with an idea in my head of what I want at the time.. It's really not impulse shopping but more hunting..

With new bodies coming in all the time  or always having to have things made for them because of addons, it's much more turned to hunting than shopping for me.. With hunting a lot of times you have to settle for what you can get or go home empty handed.. Which I go home empty handed a lot with something much newer, like hunting for things for aeddons..

My main point is, for me it's nice having nice huds, but they aren't the reason I'm going to buy something or not buy something.. and really getting the extra bodies in a pack is just something extra that comes with it when I'm shopping for a certain body..

So I guess after analyzing myself for the past few weeks, I come to realize, it really doesn't matter to me.. hehehe

ETA: I will add this though which does bother me and has me walking away faster than  stepping on a fire ant mound.. If My eyes go blurry trying to read an add or spending too long trying to figure out what they are selling.. I just lose patience..

For me Presentation is a huge part, because if the add is not well prepared, then that to me reflects on going forward or not..  If someone needs to over dress the product add with other products to make their product look good.. To me that is like flooding a steak with ketchup or A-1 sauce to cover up the taste of the steak.. I'm not eating that steak..

hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 11:54 AM, Rowan Amore said:

The one issue I do have is one specific long time creator doesn't use a color HUD for their fatpack but packages each color separately with each body included.  She's been here long enough to put together a dang HUD especially when it's usually just 5 or so colors.  Annoying as heck.

This ~

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 229 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.