Ideas for a "More Realistic Experience" in Second Life

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I did actually visit a SL RP restaurant once where I was told "Humans only...no ears or tails!" 😾 It was completely empty too ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I explain i'm a playboy bunny and not some weird human/bunny hybrid, they usually relent and let me stay... usually 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, animats said:

Worked fine, but it's boring. It's endless suburbia, after all.

If routine transportation is EXCITING, then you are doing it incorrectly.  But this is Second Life, so, go for it!

• Like 4

SL does NOT need "more realism for greater immersion".

That way madness lies.

Immersion fanatics demanding that teleporting be banned because we can't do it in RL

Then they go on about how we can replace non immersive teleports with some complicated mass transit system.

Immersion fanatics demanding that skyboxes be banned because we can't have those in RL

Then they go on about how people living in skyboxes 4km straight up RUINS the immersion of Criminal Biker Gang Thug Wannabe's who want to involve unwilling strangers as "victims" in "Home Invasion / Robbery / Gang r**e / murder Immersive Para RP" ( No not Hyperbole, one infamous Forum Idiot already demanded this for this exact reason )

Immersion fanatics demanding that we have "Anti-Gravity Tax"

Because you shouldn't be allowed to "break their immersion" without paying a tax right ?

Immersion fanatics demanding that Furries be outlawed.

Because "animal people" are not "Real", and shouldn't be allowed to break immersion.

Immersion fanatics demanding a "SL Police Force" to arrest people in world for breaking RL decency laws.

Because people are not allowed to dress like that in THEIR RL Home town.

Immersion fanatics demanding that people who don't meet some delusional definitions of "active" be sent to the regions Naughty Corner and force sat in a waiting room by an LL experience.

Because people in RL don't just stand around doing nothing, lost in thought, or listening to others, or listening to music , or admiring the view,, in RL right?

Oh  Wait... THEY DO EXACTLY THAT.

The list of things the Immersion fanatics will demand is ENDLESS. These fanatics need to be soundly whipped back into their dens of immersive iniquity.

More immersive realism enforced in SL, just say "Oh HELL NO!"

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

SL does NOT need "more realism for greater immersion".

That way madness lies.

Immersion fanatics demanding that teleporting be banned because we can't do it in RL

Then they go on about how we can replace non immersive teleports with some complicated mass transit system.

Immersion fanatics demanding that skyboxes be banned because we can't have those in RL

Then they go on about how people living in skyboxes 4km straight up RUINS the immersion of Criminal Biker Gang Thug Wannabe's who want to involve unwilling strangers as "victims" in "Home Invasion / Robbery / Gang r**e / murder Immersive Para RP" ( No not Hyperbole, one infamous Forum Idiot already demanded this for this exact reason )

Immersion fanatics demanding that we have "Anti-Gravity Tax"

Because you shouldn't be allowed to "break their immersion" without paying a tax right ?

Immersion fanatics demanding that Furries be outlawed.

Because "animal people" are not "Real", and shouldn't be allowed to break immersion.

Immersion fanatics demanding a "SL Police Force" to arrest people in world for breaking RL decency laws.

Because people are not allowed to dress like that in THEIR RL Home town.

Immersion fanatics demanding that people who don't meet some delusional definitions of "active" be sent to the regions Naughty Corner and force sat in a waiting room by an LL experience.

Because people in RL don't just stand around doing nothing, lost in thought, or listening to others, or listening to music , or admiring the view,, in RL right?

Oh  Wait... THEY DO EXACTLY THAT.

The list of things the Immersion fanatics will demand is ENDLESS. These fanatics need to be soundly whipped back into their dens of immersive iniquity.

More immersive realism enforced in SL, just say "Oh HELL NO!"

Zalicon they would say there could be no MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Did you just make up this whole post instantly?  I'm impressed.

Not made up, there have been calls to ban skyboxes add anti-gravity tax, limit teleports in various ways, from reverting back to TP to Telehubs only, and "charging money to TP.

Everything on that list has been demanded at least once, in some form over the last handful of years right here on this very Forum. Three of them by the same "Public Enemy of SL".

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Not made up, there have been calls to ban skyboxes add anti-gravity tax, limit teleports in various ways, from reverting back to TP to Telehubs only, and "charging money to TP.

Everything on that list has been demanded at least once, in some form over the last handful of years right here on this very Forum. Three of them by the same "Public Enemy of SL".

Yes, I have seen most of that asked for in the forums over time. Missed the biker home invasion one though, that's hilarious.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Yes, I have seen most of that asked for in the forums over time. Missed the biker home invasion one though, that's hilarious.

Oh that one gets better, they subsequently demanded that the private estate regions be converted into a temporary holding camp for "skybox owning criminals" pending their eventual permanent exile from SL to Sansar. because "Sansar was made for anti-social people".

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

For immersion I think we should have cell phones for inworld IM's that you have to buy a minutes of call time for. That will feel real for a lot of people and might even boost the local chatter.

See what I mean about Public Enemies of SL using "immersion" as an excuse to destroy the platform?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I do remember seeing a few of those around. Skybox ban quite a few times actually. I think I do remember the suggestion to limit IMs on the mainland, too. "Because it's not realistic". I suppose that person is not aware about cellphones (and unlimited plans either). And I do remember at least a couple of those public enemies indeed, just one of them is overly active with his "amazing suggestions".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

If routine transportation is EXCITING, then you are doing it incorrectly.  But this is Second Life, so, go for it!

The ride is fine, but an hour of travel through Bellessaria is a bit much.

It's realistic, in a way. Some years ago I had to visit some place in a huge planned-unit development, one of those places that's mostly cul-de-sacs. After I was done there, I was lost driving out. So I pulled up to a group of teen-agers and asked "How do I get to the real world?" They understood instantly and gave me directions to the freeway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

I do remember seeing a few of those around. Skybox ban quite a few times actually. I think I do remember the suggestion to limit IMs on the mainland, too. "Because it's not realistic". I suppose that person is not aware about cellphones (and unlimited plans either). And I do remember at least a couple of those public enemies indeed, just one of them is overly active with his "amazing suggestions".

Was that the Public Enemy of SL who suggested a 99% MP Sales tax, or the Public enemy of SL who suggested a "mainland covenant" that would have made it illegal to build anything on any parcel LESS that 68 m x 68 m?

• Like 2

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Was that the Public Enemy of SL who suggested a 99% MP Sales tax, or the Public enemy of SL who suggested a "mainland covenant" that would have made it illegal to build anything on any parcel LESS that 68 m x 68 m?

You forgot the suggestion that we all get logged in at some hub instead of our homes so we could be more social.  Never understood selectively social until SL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Interesting to me, now that you've brought up "immersion tax"..

When LI calculation came about, wasn't that a form of "immersion tax"? Don't mesh objects with physics take more LI?

Erm no, I've seen mesh bar stools with a LI of 0.3, and a table with an LI of 0.6, so you could have a bar table AND stools around it, for under 2 'prims' that looked a damn sight better than cut prims or sculpties.

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Erm no, I've seen mesh bar stools with a LI of 0.3, and a table with an LI of 0.6, so you could have a bar table AND stools around it, for under 2 'prims' that looked a damn sight better than cut prims or sculpties.

You skipped over the part I mentioned about physics. Thanks for your reply! ETA: SURE they look better with bad LOD models!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

You forgot the suggestion that we all get logged in at some hub instead of our homes so we could be more social.  Never understood selectively social until SL.

Oh, the Mega Hub of Ultimate Lag, with the walk of ToS abuse to the exit portal.

No I didn't forget that Public enemy of Sl, but their idea wasn't about "adding realism" that was just Social Troll-Engineering. Whole different category of stupid, haha.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 107 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.