Ideas for a "More Realistic Experience" in Second Life

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's a thread for ideas that could make Second Life activities seem "more realistic" and also provide some other benefit.

An example: "Partner/Men's Waiting Areas" at Shopping Locations (like at RL Shopping Malls)

Is your already-crowded and congested shopping destination made even worse, by men who tag along with their women partners for shopping?

Provide a "bench" or other seating area, for partners/men to wait while your core demographic is shopping!

This way, the men don't "get in the way" or have to follow their partner into the shopping area itself.

Bonus: If the man is good at "camming", he can still follow your shopping, so you can discuss your potential choices while you shop.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This way, the men don't "get in the way" or have to follow their partner into the shopping area itself.

Seriously. Who takes a man shopping in SL.

Her: "Should I get the leopard print platform slingbacks, or the zebra print thighboots?"

Him: "But you already have more than one pair of shoes, why do you want more?"

Her: "What about this top?"

Him: "But you already own at least two tops, why do you need more"

Her: "Ok shopping trip over due to lack of interest..."

Him: "No we can't leave yet! Look! The Drek-o-Max Uberr-Crotch 9000 XL Deluxe Heli-Bike with Twin 30m,m rotary Anti-Wimp Rotary Cannons! It's only L$9999! What a bargain!"

Her: "And you complain because I want to spend 70 on a pair of shoes in a weekend sale..."

Him: "But you already own shoes!"

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 15

- Stores that are only "open" at certain hours.

("Special Sales" and the "Events" people post about are already that way..)

- Stores that require you to spend a certain amount before you can buy their "Luxury/Exclusive" item.

(Some RL Luxury handbag companies do this.)

- "No Pets Allowed", customers with Animesh pets, etc. would be denied entry by a Sales Associate.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

- "No Pets Allowed", customers with Animesh pets, etc. would be denied entry by a Sales Associate.

"All Nekos must be kept on a leash"

"No furries except Guide Furries for the Blind"

And my personal favourite.

"No common sense, no service"

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is your already-crowded and congested shopping destination made even worse, by men who tag along with their women partners for shopping?

No not really. But providing "waiting areas" for them would help make it happen.

Using "immersion" and "realism" to justify non shoppers using avatar slots at shopping events, is a classic "idea so bad it deserves to be ignored".

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I would love an underground tube/train system connecting certain areas on mainland, with each destination having its own stationĀ šŸ¤©Ā Or maybe even an underwater one, with sharks and weird sea creatures floating past the windowsšŸ¦‘

Or Ultra Low Emission Zone enforcers...I bet that would go down well at an SL MCĀ xD

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"All Nekos must be kept on a leash

Ā "No Pets Allowed", customers with Animesh pets, etc. would be denied entry by a Sales Associate.

I did actually visit a SL RP restaurant once where I was told "Humans only...no ears or tails!"Ā šŸ˜¾Ā It was completely empty tooĀ ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Ā 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

Years ago I worked overnight mall security. Every year, Black Friday rolled around and we'd set up one area filled with couches and recliners for people to sleep on. Whenever a woman would come to us to page their missing husband/boyfriend/father/son, we'd have them check there first.

Found every single one, without fail.

Every shopping event in SL should have an adjacent homestead for partner storage, that's a great idea.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

What?

So many times guys have dragged ME out shopping.Ā šŸ˜‚

I've never heard of partner waiting rooms. That sounds weird to me, but then again, my friends are all shopaholics.

I don't need shopping realism in SL, though. I can do without the packed parking lots and long lines of people trying to return clothes after they've worn them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

More realism, really?

-Trash cans, that need to be put out every week on a given day.

- Clothing that gets dirty after wearing them a few hours and need washing and ironing.

- Mother in laws that come to visit uninvited when that important game is on TV.

- Shoe straps that break at random when one puts on a pair of shoes.

- Children that don't understand their homework assignments.

- Burglars that empty out your house unexpected.

- Dance parties with a music stream.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

More realism, really?

-Trash cans, that need to be put out every week on a given day.

- Clothing that gets dirty after wearing them a few hours and needs washing and ironing.

- Mother in laws that come to visit when that important game is on TV.

- Shoe straps that break at random when one puts on a pair of shoes.

- Children that don't understand their homework assignments.

- Burglars that empty out your house unexpected.

- Dance parties with a music stream.

This sounds like the Sims! Minus the burglars. I think they got rid of those in Sims 4, unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

This sounds like the Sims! Minus the burglars. I think they got rid of those in Sims 4, unfortunately.

I bought sims4. Played it for an hour.
It is just totally 'meh' IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Here's a thread for ideas that could make Second Life activities seem "more realistic" and also provide some other benefit.

An example: "Partner/Men's Waiting Areas" at Shopping Locations (like at RL Shopping Malls)

Provide a "bench" or other seating area, for partners/men to wait while your core demographic is shopping!

Bonus: If the man is good at "camming", he can still follow your shopping, so you can discuss your potential choices while you shop.

OK. Realism in Second Life.

Put a bus service schedule up and bus stops all around the mainland, then just don't have enough buses or drivers to service them.

:DĀ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Just now, Marigold Devin said:

OK. Realism in Second Life.

Put a bus service schedule up and bus stops all around the mainland, then just don't have enough buses or drivers to service them.

:D

Bonus: We already years ago had automated trolleys, etc. in SL that run people over, RL is finally catching up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I can remember all of Ms OToole's vehicles piling up on a 4-lane end.

All driverless too - way ahead of their time.

Ā 

Ā 

Oh!Ā  Oh!Ā  A friend of mine made a trebuchet that picked those up in her parcel and tossed them back to a location they recognized.Ā  One day when I visited, I got to watch her use it on a stack of nine of those damned things.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

I would love an underground tube/train system connecting certain areas on mainland, with each destination having its own stationĀ 

Something like that was tried recently. Many of the modern Japanese areas have subway stations, and someone had set up some of them as teleport hubs. But I just went to one, and it didn't do anything any more.

Remember East River International Airport? They had a good transit system over several regions. They'd move the transit car to a tunnel way up in the sky, travel there, and then bring the car back down to a short tunnel at ground level.

That could be done over longer distances. Have a standard subway car and an experience at the station. You sit in a subway car, and it moves into a tunnel where the tunnel walls are animated to appear to move. Then you're teleported to an identical subway car elsewhere and seated in the same seat, which an experience can do. Then you come out of the tunnel and into a new station. There used to be a system sort of like that which connected New Babbage and some of the other steampunk regions by train. But it was unreliable. I think you can still take a train from New Babbage Main Station, and you get teleported to a landing point elsewhere after a while. It's kind of a letdown and nobody uses it.

If the project to make teleports more reliable succeeds, this becomes more feasible. Then you could travel as a group.

WelcomeHub should have a station. Get new users out and about.

(WelcomeHub does have a train station with a rez zone, with a bridge to Bellessaria, but new users don't have a train and there is no free rezzer. I rezzed one and rode all the way to the end of the line, which takes about an hour. Worked fine, but it's boring. It's endless suburbia, after all.)

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Oh!Ā  Oh!Ā  A friend of mine made a trebuchet that picked those up in her parcel and tossed them back to a location they recognized.Ā  One day when I visited, I got to watch her use it on a stack of nine of those damned things.

That sounds like fun! :DĀ 

• Like 2

Arriving at an in-world store only to find it closed for inventory taking.

Arriving at an in world store and finding out the dress you want is sold out in your size, even though the sale associate assured you an hour ago on the phone they had one in your size.

Arriving at a shoe store and finding boxes with mismatched sizes, or all the size 8s sold out already (and no, I can't just squeeze into a 7 thank you!).

Trying to catch one of these sim-to-sim buses you are all talking about and realizing today's the rotating transit worker strike. No buses.

Having your favourite store drop off a parcel while you're not at home and some random door thief snatch it. I hope you like size 8 kitten heels, darn punk!

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Where are the bathrooms at these shopping events?Ā  I can never find them and end up teleporting back home, causing them to lose a possible sale from me.

The lack of bathrooms in sl is terrible. If I have to go, a lot of times i just squat behind a potted palm. But if you can't rezz a puddle, did you really go?

Yes, it's a real thing

• Haha 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 139 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.