How to sell an item in my sim

AlkaDelaney

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

it's the first time I try to sell something.  Is it enough if I tick for sale, select how and add a price?  I believe if an item is set for sale the take copy option of right click should be automatically disabled.  But when I follow above steps it is not so.

Tks for advise

No. Set the price, check the 'for sale' box, and choose what they get from the dropdown list. One option is Take Copy, another is to get the original. You have to set that to what you want. I'm not inworld right now, so I can't see the exact wording, but that's what you have to do.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlkaDelaney said:

Hello,

it's the first time I try to sell something.  Is it enough if I tick for sale, select how and add a price?  I believe if an item is set for sale the take copy option of right click should be automatically disabled.  But when I follow above steps it is not so.

Tks for advise

except the object setting as Phil already told, i don't think it will ever sell if you don't put it in a store that has traffic, or put it on MP.

And still than.. it has to be something people really want, and is very good.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

except the object setting as Phil already told, i don't think it will ever sell if you don't put it in a store that has traffic, or put it on MP.

Consider to sell the item on the marketplace too.
It is cheap (only a commission when you actually sell something) it has better search possibilities for the customers. As merchant one can help sales with good product information, redeliver option, pictures, using the right keywords.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

I don't think it will ever sell if you don't put it in a store that has traffic,

People need to see it to buy it, one option to make this happen is you have it in a high traffic store, but this can get expensive. In my experience in trying to sell things, what worked best for me was to have the item or items wherever you want, and then aggressively self promote everyplace you go, tell everyone you meet you have a store, put a pick for it in your profile, you can even rent ad boards or even better if you can get friends to let you put ads for free on thier land. Whatever you can do to get people to come visit your store. Create your own traffic, anyone you get interested can TP there from anyplace, it's not like RL where retail stores need to be in areas with traffic.

• Like 2

And make sure you fully test the buying with an alt that is not in the group that the land belongs to and if on your Friends list, be sure they do not have any permissions for your objects.

Then have the alt rez everything out and confirm all permissions.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

aggressively self promote everyplace you go, tell everyone you meet you have a store, put a pick for it in your profile, you can even rent ad boards or even better if you can get friends to let you put ads for free on thier land.

That should make you as about as popular as an Amway salesperson.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Everyone is assuming the OP wants to sell hundreds of his item.  He could just put a pick in his profile and do what Phil said to do. If the OP begins to sell he can research other options, but to say it has to be something people really want and very good I think is discouraging.  Let the guy have a bit of fun selling his first item. He'll learn along the way and if his way doesn't work I'm sure he'll be back with more questions.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

Let the guy have a bit of fun selling his first item.

Although I agree we needn't try to turn the OP into a titan of industry overnight, it would be unfair to leave them with the impression that merely setting an item for sale would lead to literally anybody actually seeing it.

I could imagine someone see their first product not selling and get discouraged, thinking they can't succeed because SL buyers are so discerning (although the weekend sales prove that's not the case). Anyway the OP now has plenty of advice about how to get their product in front of a few eyeballs, so yeah: let 'em have some fun.

Maybe just to reiterate @LittleMe Jewell's advice: Careful with those next-owner permissions, especially if the item includes third party content such as an animation or script or anything that's supposed to be redistributed only with select permissions. In such cases, testing with an alt is really necessary for all but the simplest items, especially when first starting out.

• Like 4

The OP asked a very specific question about using the "For Sale" feature in the Edit window and has received satisfactory response. But as Qie has suggested, there is much more to selling. Recently, I only see the For Sale feature used in places like the Second Life Birthday gift area where people try to avoid using scripts.

I advise noob future sellers to first be a buyer, or at least, a window shopper. See how merchants use Marketplace and shopping events. Start from https://www.seraphimsl.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the caring answers.  As a matter of fact tis about open sim and not precisely second life.

SL rules often apply there too.  Technically I mean.  Tis about an old shop of mine there, seven or eight years old.  Maybe some residents visited already and up to now I had the merchandise free.  I thought tis time to name a price for each item.  The problem was I had to visit with an alt so that the buy option to appear in the edit menu.

I was trying to see if I can buy it myself.  Stupid ha?  For the rest simple enough.  Right click, edit, for sale, copy, price, next owner only transfer.

antiques.jpg

• Moles

I'm locking this thread because the question has been answered.   I've left it up because both the question and replies apply equally to Second Life (and it became clear that the question was about Open Sim only at the end) but please note that posts about other grids are off topic for these forums.  

• Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.