So who won that car?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

So who won that car?

I did!! B|🚙

But they said I had to go to California to pick it up :/ So if anyone in the US can drive it to the port in New York for me, I will give you 100L 🤑 Also, if anyone in the UK can collect it from Holyhead and drive it to London for me, I'll give you 50L 🤑 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

what is that?

It is a UK savings scheme where you can put up to £50,000 in, and every month they do a prize draw, and you can win anything between £25 and £1 million. It's like the lottery but you never lose your money, though you don't earn any interest either...the winners are picked by a robot called ERNIE.

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SpiritSparrow Skydancer said:

what is that?

10 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

It is a UK savings scheme where you can put up to £50,000 in, and every month they do a prize draw, and you can win anything between £25 and £1 million. It's like the lottery but you never lose your money, though you don't earn any interest either...the winners are picked by a robot called ERNIE.

Just to add, it's the government's National Savings and Investments scheme. There are savings accounts as well as the tax-free monthly cash prize draw. The minimum you can invest is £25 into Premium Bonds.

3 hours ago, Quartz Mole said:

Gentle reminder not to let the thread drift off into a discussion of First Life lotteries, contests and so on.

Back to the topic then. Someone surely must know who won that car. The person who won that car surely wouldn't have opted for no publicity, and someone surely would have followed the rules and sent an email to the competition promoters for a list of winners, because there were other prizes too of course. 

Is such a prize draw classed as gambling, a game of chance, or a skills game? As per American laws. It might be nice to have a weekly Linden Lab organised lottery draw, some money go into the Relay for Life charity perhaps and the rest in the prize pot for Marketplace vouchers perhaps. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
Offensively written? Surely not.
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Someone surely must know who won that car. The person who won that car surely wouldn't have opted for no publicity,

I don't know why you're so sure the winner would not have opted for no publicity -- they might not have wanted to publicise their First Life details in SL (or vice versa).

If you're that interested, their identity should be simple to discover, or perhaps would have been had you acted sooner.   According the Sweepstake rules. to which all participants agreed

WINNERS
‍For the name of the winners, available after July 30, 2023 (for a period of at least 30 days), send an email to: winners@dja.com with "Second Life 20th Birthday Celebration National Sweepstakes WINNER" as the subject line. Winners list will be sent after the prizes have been awarded.

Only one way to find out.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I don't know why you're so sure the winner would not have opted for no publicity -- they might not have wanted to publicise their First Life details in SL (or vice versa).

If you're that interested, their identity should be simple to discover, or perhaps would have been had you acted sooner.   According the Sweepstake rules. to which all participants agreed

Only one way to find out.

OK. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
Less is more.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ahah! I forgot it was "send SASE", basically. Thanks! So obviously, they didn't plan on announcing the winner and the OP missed that (along with most of us who didn't know or forgot).

Thanks again!

I forgot all about it. I remember clicking on a separate board to the one for the car, because of being ineligible to win the car, and then put it out of my mind until this thread was started by SpiritSparrow.

1 minute ago, Marigold Devin said:

I forgot all about it. I remember clicking on a separate board to the one for the car, because of being ineligible to win the car, and then put it out of my mind until this thread was started by SpiritSparrow.

I remembered there was some discussion in this forum at the time about the privacy implications of the sweepstake, and once I'd recalled that, it did't take long to find the thread and a link to the rules.

For what it's worth, it seems to me that if the winner wanted to publicise their good fortune inside SL, they could easily have started a thread here about "Whoopee! I Won the Car!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I remembered there was some discussion in this forum at the time about the privacy implications of the sweepstake, and once I'd recalled that, it did't take long to find the thread and a link to the rules.

For what it's worth, it seems to me that if the winner wanted to publicise their good fortune inside SL, they could easily have started a thread here about "Whoopee! I Won the Car!

Yes. You're right. I didn't start this thread though, and am not all that interested really, except there is a little cynic that lives inside of me that wonders if the prizes behind some competitions actually really do exist or if the winners are real. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.