Faster second life FPS A how to

rottweiler Lednev

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today after 100 or more pc builds I am gonna pass on this amazing advice how to make second life run at 420 fps

So here is the pc specs to make it happen and why.

intel 13900k 6ghz         U want this one because it does 6ghz and second life is a single core game making good use of a fast core.

6000 ghz ram and above U cant run a fast processor or polygons in the video carD unless u have fast ram.

RTX 3060 ti aorus  U want this vide card because its one of the fastest cards supporting a non emulated open gl AMD wont work they are emulated.

Gigabyte motherboard featuring Instant 6 GHz" option so u can easily make use of that 13900k cpu one click in bios and u have 6ghz WOOOO

Gigabyte's Instant 6 GHz' automatically overclocks the i9-13900K to 6 GHz. In the bios of its new Z790 motherboards

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabytes-instant-6-ghz-automatically-overclocks-the-i9-13900k-to-6-ghz.html#:~:text=to 6 GHz-,Gigabyte's Instant 6 GHz' automatically overclocks,i9-13900K to 6 GHz&text=In the bios of its,6 GHz on its own.

Now lets say u made a pc or u did not here is what will give u a leading edge on performance.

Hit control P or go to your setting menu in firestorm if u dont use firestorm go get it cause basic viewer sucks.

Now in your settings go to graphics settings put your slider in the middle

Now turn off Atmospheric shaders and advance lighting these look worst and slow u down. U get massive gain in fps turning them off.

Turn off water reflections to none the reason why is because at mainland even know u see land water is rendered under u under that land slowing u down.

Now make sure that draw distance is at 80 no more then 100.

Now once your done that look at the top of the menu and chose the tab called Hardware settings.

U will see a tab says enable dynamic texture memory

U want to click that and put that Maximum viewer texture memory to full Dont move any other sliders.

Ok finally now that u did all of that we will turn up one last slider that will help u not reload the game ever time u turn around making things slower. On the left is network and files chose that tab

In there at the top of the box u can see a tab called Directories chose that tab and turn up your sliders texture cash size and asset cash size

turn them way up so they can save game data and not need to reload all the time.

POOF YOUR DONE NO MORE SLOW SL.

Edited by rottweiler Lednev
BAD SPELLING
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

yeah I can not even read that and I'm not turning on light mode.

You didn't miss much, basically it reads:

"if U take out a 2nd moregage on UR liver, U can buy a supa leet gamar riig of awesumsorce, wot r LEET, den U can turn off da kewl grafix, and set draw distance to 80, and crippal al da veewer feeturs, and get a awesumsorce FPS wot are sevvral tims wot UR moniita can display, and just melt ur leet grafix card for nuffin"

Short version? Just mash the "well deserved sarcastic mocking laughter" reaction button on the OP and move on.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

You didn't miss much, basically it reads:

"if U take out a 2nd moregage on UR liver, U can buy a supa leet gamar riig of awesumsorce, wot r LEET, den U can turn off da kewl grafix, and set draw distance to 80, and crippal al da veewer feeturs, and get a awesumsorce FPS wot are sevvral tims wot UR moniita can display, and just melt ur leet grafix card for nuffin"

Short version? Just mash the "well deserved sarcastic mocking laughter" reaction button on the OP and move on.

I thought it also said "shut off all advance feature"! (Something something water was there..)

ETA: I see now, you covered it with shut off cool grafix, etc.!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, rottweiler Lednev said:

Today after 100 or more pc builds I am gonna pass on this amazing advice how to make second life run at 420 fps

So here is the pc specs to make it happen and why.

intel 13900k 6ghz         U want this one because it does 6ghz and second life is a single core game making good use of a fast core.

6000 ghz ram and above U cant run a fast processor or polygons in the video carD unless u have fast ram.

RTX 3060 ti aorus  U want this vide card because its one of the fastest cards supporting a non emulated open gl AMD wont work they are emulated.

Gigabyte motherboard featuring Instant 6 GHz" option so u can easily make use of that 13900k cpu one click in bios and u have 6ghz WOOOO

Gigabyte's Instant 6 GHz' automatically overclocks the i9-13900K to 6 GHz. In the bios of its new Z790 motherboards

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/gigabytes-instant-6-ghz-automatically-overclocks-the-i9-13900k-to-6-ghz.html#:~:text=to 6 GHz-,Gigabyte's Instant 6 GHz' automatically overclocks,i9-13900K to 6 GHz&text=In the bios of its,6 GHz on its own.

Now lets say u made a pc or u did not here is what will give u a leading edge on performance.

Hit control P or go to your setting menu in firestorm if u dont use firestorm go get it cause basic viewer sucks.

Now in your settings go to graphics settings put your slider in the middle

Now turn off Atmospheric shaders and advance lighting these look worst and slow u down. U get massive gain in fps turning them off.

Turn off water reflections to none the reason why is because at mainland even know u see land water is rendered under u under that land slowing u down.

Now make sure that draw distance is at 80 no more then 100.

Now once your done that look at the top of the menu and chose the tab called Hardware settings.

U will see a tab says enable dynamic texture memory

U want to click that and put that Maximum viewer texture memory to full Dont move any other sliders.

Ok finally now that u did all of that we will turn up one last slider that will help u not reload the game ever time u turn around making things slower. On the left is network and files chose that tab

In there at the top of the box u can see a tab called Directories chose that tab and turn up your sliders texture cash size and asset cash size

turn them way up so they can save game data and not need to reload all the time.

POOF YOUR DONE NO MORE SLOW SL.

Bless your heart for trying to help, but no, I for one am not unhappy with the performance of my Second Life on the reconditioned computers I am fortunate to own with my limited financial resources. It hasn't detracted from the ability to make some really good friends over the years or to explore and experience some amazing, and at times "out there", situations. 

If someone could create a nice-looking and very simple to edit avatar, now that would make me VERY happy. Meanwhile I shall turn myself into a chest of drawers and sit quietly observing the rat race that SL has become. 

• Like 2

First and foremost, the advice I give to people to get better FPS in SL is to run the new PBR viewer, found here: https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/7.0.0.581368.html or, use Alchemy (mature PBR implementation), or the Firestorm Alpha PBR viewer.

Anyway, onto factual errors:

21 hours ago, rottweiler Lednev said:

U want this one because it does 6ghz and second life is a single core game making good use of a fast core.

Not true of the latest PBR viewer, as that does a much better job of spreading the workload across multiple cores.

6000 ghz ram

Ram speeds are given in MHz, so this is a typo.

fastest cards supporting a non emulated open gl AMD wont work they are emulated

Incorrect - AMD supports hardware OpenGL. You're probably thinking of Intel descrete GPUs, although I'm pretty sure they support hardware OpenGL also.

Gigabyte motherboard featuring Instant 6 GHz" option

This is mostly marketing, as the GHz number doesn't always mean much. AMD Bulldozer, anyone? (Chips known for having a high number of GHz on paper, but low IPC, thus performance sucked)

firestorm go get it cause basic viewer sucks.

Subjective, and does not affect framerate.

These are no longer options in the PBR viewer, so turning these off is no longer an option. (Turning these off is more of a band aid fix, anyway).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

Ram speeds are given in MHz, so this is a typo.

The 13900K processor only supports up to 3200 MHz or 5600 MHz RAM anyway. 😋 (DDR4 and DDR5 respectively.)

• Like 1

I think the issue might be the users to rely with some hate because if your thing works good and u know how why are u not writing a forum to tell other how to and help them.

Perhaps because u don't care just like the reply u only thought your comment was a good idea for u.

There is many users wondering how they can make the game faster and more enjoyable this is from my perspective it does not make other do it 

Just a word of advice form my 16 years playing.

On 8/24/2023 at 6:13 AM, rottweiler Lednev said:

Wow Man, 420 fps.  Sit back, lite up a joint at 4:20 and say cool....

If you want to travel really fast, build yourself a rocket that can go to Mars.

Good thing you posted this amazing advice in the Land Forum.  With 420 fps you should be able to circle the flat grid in seconds!

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Here it is im getting 300 fps in most sims and up to 500 in non intensive sims.

Graphics setting at half on firestorm and draw distance @120 

What I did was trident 3600 ram ddr4 cl 18-22-22-42

rtx 4070 Oc button enabled made by asus tuff.

For those on a budget rtx 3060 and 4060 got the same fps I own all 3 kinds and tried.

turned on pie gen 4 in bios on both PCIE 16x4 and PCI 16 x4

got the fastest nvme they make. Samsung 990 pro transfers at read/write speeds up to 7,450/6,900 MB/s

Enabled resizable bar in bios 

Chose a cpu with a large cash so all that other stuff will work in tandem 

cpu ryzen 5800x3d stacked L3 cache, delivering unmatched 96MB of L3 cache paired with incredibly fast cores

Internet was 740 upload and 700 download

fps.jpg

fps2.jpg

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I cap mine at 30 so SL looks normal.  lol

The refresh rate on my monitor is 165 but I still cap mine at 80 which actually then shows as around 60.  Keeps everything running smoothly and doesn't kick the fans into high gear.  

Edited by Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.