Faster second life FPS A how to

rottweiler Lednev

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, rottweiler Lednev said:

Wont look normal anything under 90 fps looks laggy in this game. Try higher fps and u will see what I mean.

I've been in SL almost 17 years,  I am good with this world being at 30fps. it looks better, my animations look smoother and my temps are super low because I'm not taxing my video card, which will make it happy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

u perhaps have a bottleneck and the gpu lags behind the cpu that would make a higher fps lag bad and look choppy or bad.

You would need G-SYNC and a 200 hrtz monitor or more also a video card that is not bottlenecking with slower ram or cpu for it all to work out right.

I build and sale pcs for part of my living so I get the luxury to try each one in game. some are terrible and other rock it it all is dependent on hardware.

I just finished another pc tonight just before I wrote back on here. Here is some pics of it.

Have u be if your happy with your fps then no need we all know what we like this article is to help some who are confused and want to know what works not waste money on what maybe will work like I have done many times.

I attached a pic of my regular machine to its the bottom pic.

In time I might make a machine specific for second life and put it up for raffle I have thought a few times of doing that in a world club. I don't know if that's allowed I would have to read into that kind of stuff but that would be pretty fun idea..

photo_2024-02-20_18-36-48.jpg

photo_2024-02-21_01-51-39.jpg

photo_2024-02-21_03-59-33.jpg

Edited by rottweiler Lednev

On 2/20/2024 at 10:26 AM, rottweiler Lednev said:

Wont look normal anything under 90 fps looks laggy in this game. Try higher fps and u will see what I mean.

I believe movies were shot  at 24 fps. I don't ever recall an old movie looking "laggy"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I believe movies were shot  at 24 fps. I don't ever recall an old movie looking "laggy"

Movies are a bit different because they aren't interactive media. Movies also have very consistent FPS, while you can definitely feel the jumpy FPS in games, even if it never drops below 30 or even 60 (depending on the game).

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

20 hours ago, rottweiler Lednev said:

the monitor I would reccommend for the 200htz refresh rate

Just so you know...

With a 200 htz refresh rate, you will NEVER see that 400-500 FPS you boast about, as the monitor can only display 200. so you are just melting your silicon for NOTHING.

Good job!

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 3

It's crazy to advise to turn off advanced lightning, that's gives you a horrible world. Am happy that linden lab have plans to turn it on people cannot turn it (easy?) Off.

A world looks horrible without ALM.

Also 420 fps is nonsense the server still not generate more then 45. With 80 meter draw distance you look at a very bad world.

7 minutes ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

Also 420 fps is nonsense the server still not generate more then 45.

While the 400+ FPS is silly, the sim's "FPS" has nothing to do with this. The viewer has no trouble rendering the screen more often between the updates coming from the sim. You will benefit from higher FPS.

11 minutes ago, Richardus Raymaker said:

It's crazy to advise to turn off advanced lightning, that's gives you a horrible world. Am happy that linden lab have plans to turn it on people cannot turn it (easy?) Off.

A world looks horrible without ALM.

Also 420 fps is nonsense the server still not generate more then 45. With 80 meter draw distance you look at a very bad world.

I don't understand this mindset. Sure,things tend to look better with ALM, but why does it bother you and how does it affect your experience if someone on modest hardware can turn it off?  It doesn't affect YOUR experience one bit if someone can disable it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Modulated said:

I don't understand this mindset. Sure,things tend to look better with ALM, but why does it bother you and how does it affect your experience if someone on modest hardware can turn it off?  It doesn't affect YOUR experience one bit if someone can disable it. 

As long as only a handful of SL players disable it, there's no problem, but the whole platform has been held back for over a decade now by ALM being disabled by enough users that creators must cater to those non-ALM users in order to address the market, omitting ALM features (Materials, projected textures, etc.) because more than a handful just can't see them, and instead baking hideous substitutes (fake static lighting and specularity effects).

It is absolutely true that on an individual basis, it doesn't matter. At scale, however, it has hurt SL's content and platform viability.

We're at a pretty good place now, with those who really want non-ALM ("forward") rendering still able to get it with the Cool VL Viewer, but the vast majority of users will be able to leave all that behind.

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

As long as only a handful of SL players disable it, there's no problem, but the whole platform has been held back for over a decade now by ALM being disabled by enough users that creators must cater to those non-ALM users in order to address the market, omitting ALM features (Materials, projected textures, etc.) because more than a handful just can't see them, and instead baking hideous substitutes (fake static lighting and specularity effects).

It is absolutely true that on an individual basis, it doesn't matter. At scale, however, it has hurt SL's content and platform viability.

We're at a pretty good place now, with those who really want non-ALM ("forward") rendering still able to get it with the Cool VL Viewer, but the vast majority of users will be able to leave all that behind.

Your opinion is debatable.   They keep adding kludge without really fixing anything, so I don't think hurts anything in the long run.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Your opinion is debatable.   They keep adding kludge without really fixing anything, so I don't think hurts anything in the long run.

FWIW, I don't care either way.

The reason why LL has done away with the forward-renderer is because the amount of work it takes to maintain two very different rendering methods has gotten to the point where it's just not worth the labor. It slows down the development of new features because everything has to be done and tested twice.

The decision came a little after some recent viewer performance improvements and when work on PBR had started.

Nobody is stopping TPVs from continuing to support non-ALM.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2

The reason I do it is because it feels smother and allot more responsive its hard to make this game amazing but with the right settings and things it can be done.

This is more for the avid perfectionist who just want this game to load fast and not feel slow movements or leggy experience.

I did find a guy showing comparison of the different processors this was a neat find and you can tell its not as smooth.

As for seeing 400 fps its no one can see that many fps and server side is 40.  I only do it because the game literally feels less leggy and smooth or I wouldn't have any reason for doing this.

Sl is like a boat in water the slower your engine the slower it seems faster your stuff the quicker it goes and when you want to stop u throw you AMD video card on a rope over board lol.

Thanks to Bas for his video on YouTube.

Edited by rottweiler Lednev

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 66 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.