Firestorm PBR Alpha viewer

Beq Janus

42 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I too never get a notice when logging in, but check the group notices.

(I must have nerfed my group settings or something. Somehow I get announcements from other groups but not this one. Ironically, Firestorm often dredges up group announcements that I already saw ages ago in one of my usual viewers.)

Yeah I did, couldn't see any link in there. I'll dig deeper tonight :)

The link to the newest FS Beta, emoji capable, is in the group notices.  We are reminded not to share the link outside of the PhoenixFirestorm Preview Group.

Edited by Aishagain
spelling: I kan't spel.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

"When it is ready".  Bottom line is that the Beta FS, available via the Phoenix-Firestorm Preview group is to all intents and purposes as good a Beq can make it until LL fix their broken code.

At some point Firestorm is going to have to release a PBR compatible viewer and probably sooner than later. I'm actually surprised LL hasn't put their foot down  and told them to do so. There is that rule that third party viewers have to offer the same graphical world view as the official one. The estate I make my home in has banned PBR landscaping until Firestorm makes an official PBR capable viewer release. Firestorm's slow release of mesh held back creators from using that innovation for over six months.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Crim Mip said:

I'm actually surprised LL hasn't put their foot down  and told them to do so.

What should they do, fork Firestorm and just release a LL built Firestorm clone with PBR support?

Its open source software, so Linden Labs kind of gets a TPV for free without paying for it. But has no real leverage over the project. Trying to force a TPV to do something, especially with that kind of market share, is a big footgun to sling. 

And imagine what would happen if Firestorm released a half-baked PBR release. You get adoption. And tons of old content breaking. Then Firestorm/LL fixes some significant PBR bugs after release. And a ton of content gets broken again, new & old. Right now you have an extended beta, with the LL viewer and a few TPV viewers and content creators trying to work with the released stuff.

There is no good reason to provoke an outcry over broken content twice.

• Like 3

They do need to hurry. I am already selling PBR stuff with fallback textures. I think they are underestimating how big PBR will be. This is a big transition and I think firestorm team has unrealistic expectations about how smooth it's supposed to be. And I say this as someone who has been using firestorm PBR since alpha.

2 hours ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

They do need to hurry. I am already selling PBR stuff with fallback textures. I think they are underestimating how big PBR will be. This is a big transition and I think firestorm team has unrealistic expectations about how smooth it's supposed to be. And I say this as someone who has been using firestorm PBR since alpha.

I haven't been following this thread but wanted to say that from MY viewpoint and MY friends (anecdotal evidence) and comments on the PBR thread there are lots of folks who don't love PBR for a variety of reasons. When we had PBR in Sansar creators also had the ability to set the environment and it was NOT CHANGABLE as it is in SL. This is a BIG issue.

And there are tons of building problems yet to be solved.  I understand creators jumping on the bandwagon as it comes out of the garage and I DO believe that we will have PBR whether we want it or not, but I am HAPPY the FS folks are taking their time.  

Just my two cents -- take it or ignore it LOL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Kathrine Jansma said:

Trying to force a TPV to do something

trust me they tried with the third party viewer directory, Oz would wave that around frequently

to be honest, this point on the policy could be done, as it's becoming a problem with more and more PBR products releasing at events etc.

CleanShot2024-05-10at9_37_45.png.de20f58d4c35e49d57cab58495684cc4.png

CleanShot2024-05-10at9_34_31.png.44e4d2aea03600842152351b94459412.png

everyday I am coming across loads of people that aren't even aware this feature exists, even though it's been around for 6 months, and guess what -- they're firestorm viewer users

Has anybody seen any PBR bugs fixed recently in the LL viewer? I have a feeling the dev resources have all moved on to the glTF scene stuff already. (If so, Firestorm could be in a "Waiting for Godot" situation.)

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I haven't been following this thread but wanted to say that from MY viewpoint and MY friends (anecdotal evidence) and comments on the PBR thread there are lots of folks who don't love PBR for a variety of reasons. When we had PBR in Sansar creators also had the ability to set the environment and it was NOT CHANGABLE as it is in SL. This is a BIG issue.

And there are tons of building problems yet to be solved.  I understand creators jumping on the bandwagon as it comes out of the garage and I DO believe that we will have PBR whether we want it or not, but I am HAPPY the FS folks are taking their time.  

Just my two cents -- take it or ignore it LOL

I agree, PBR is definitely breaking old content. But from my sales data I have about 4 PBR products and they are all top performers in the last 30 days. I haven't really heard anyone talk about PBR products as a merchant yet. So just sharing my opinion. We still have what, at least a year before non PBR viewers are blocked?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

Firestorm devs are not "underestimating how big PBR will be." There are major issues that need to be fixed.

For example: https://jira.firestormviewer.org/browse/FIRE-33607

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Firestorm devs are not "underestimating how big PBR will be." There are major issues that need to be fixed.

And not underestimating the wrath of the userbase if a lemon viewer is released - support will get pummeled with complaints, along with all the usual hate in the blog comments "do you guys even test this stuff blah blah blah" along with the usual hate mail that gets sent to management etc.

There's a good reason the release of PBR has not been rushed - we'd like to try and get as many of the serious issues fixed before we do and its obvious where the source of those fixes come from - LL. We had the same nonsense when EEP first came to be and we were being pushed to release it, despite its horribly broken state at the time. It's not the end of the world if it gets delayed a little - would you all prefer releases full of bugs or releases with less bugs?

Edited by mygoditsfullofstars
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

They aren't going to be fixed.

At this point the LL problems with PBR have become Firestorm's problems with PBR, Firestorm are left looking bad for delaying a major platform advancement.

Meanwhile huge issues with PBR that have existed since day one, and no one will be able to ignore, are still present. In all viewers.

Firestorm need to release and just say "we tried".

3 minutes ago, mygoditsfullofstars said:

And not underestimating the wrath of the userbase if a lemon viewer is released - support will get pummeled with complaints, along with all the usual hate in the blog comments "do you guys even test this stuff blah blah blah" along with the usual hate mail that gets sent to management etc.

"We know that it's broken, here is the bug report on the Linden feedback site. Please express yourself there."

This isn't Firestorm's mess, Firestorm should not be taking heat from LL or end users for it.

Ship it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

They aren't going to be fixed.

At this point the LL problems with PBR have become Firestorm's problems with PBR, Firestorm are left looking bad for delaying a major platform advancement.

Meanwhile huge issues with PBR that have existed since day one, and no one will be able to ignore, are still present. In all viewers.

Firestorm need to release and just say "we tried".

"We know that it's broken, here is the bug report on the Linden feedback site. Please express yourself there."

This isn't Firestorm's mess, Firestorm should not be taking heat from LL or end users for it.

Ship it.

You're assuming that most people actually read 🤣 They don't - they just download, they install, then they scream at us (having paid no attention to the release notes or blog post). Some people read release notes or the blog article associated with a release, but in my experience most do not.

1 minute ago, mygoditsfullofstars said:

You're assuming that most people actually read 🤣 They don't - they just download, they install, then they scream at us (having paid no attention to the release notes or blog post). Some people read release notes or the blog article associated with a release, but in my experience most do not.

I know they don't, we have this battle with Catznip. I also know most wont use a beta viewer as that's "scary" and "unsafe", even if you didn't gate it behind group access and notecards.

Firestorm have the luxury of several past releases as fall backs. They don't have the luxury of full time paid developers.

It's been 9 months.

Ship it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1