Small rant following about a firestorm user trying the new SL viewer 7

shireena1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.. /me waves, for as long as i can remember I have been using firestorm viewer, more than likely to stay on it. Just recently, I installed an extra viewer, the new 7.0 rc SL viewer.

On my 6 year old machine, as long as I have the grafix no more than medium setting, I sorta like it. 

Warning .. Rant following... On the firestorm viewer, if you click on a group profile, you have options of show in my profile or not, recieve group messages or not, and recieve group instant messages or not. In the new SL viewer, with group profiles, you have options of show in my profile or not, and recieve group messages or not, but I cant seem to find the the check off box for if i want to recieve group instant messages and group chat or not. I got bombarded by these bleeping messages flashing on my screen so fast i couldnt even read them, and the ding ding's of the i'ms kept waking me up! (End Rant!)

Is there any way to turn group instant messages off in the sl viewer? I couldnt find it.

Edited by shireena1
typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, shireena1 said:

Hello.. /me waves, for as long as i can remember I have been using firestorm viewer, more than likely to stay on it. Just recently, I installed an extra viewer, the new 7.0 rc SL viewer.

On my 6 year old machine, as long as I have the grafix no more than medium setting, I sorta like it. 

Warning .. Rant following... On the firestorm viewer, if you click on a group profile, you have options of show in my profile or not, recieve group messages or not, and recieve group instant messages or not. In the new SL viewer, with group profiles, you have options of show in my profile or not, and recieve group messages or not, but I cant seem to find the the check off box for if i want to recieve group instant messages and group chat or not. I got bombarded by these bleeping messages flashing on my screen so fast i couldnt even read them, and the ding ding's of the i'ms kept waking me up! (End Rant!)

Is there any way to turn group instant messages off in the sl viewer? I couldnt find it.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no way to turn off group CHAT messages by group that I know of in the SL Viewer (and there is in Firestorm).  New chat messages are always popping up sometimes several a minute. I can close them but they keep coming back with a new message.  I am not talking about group IM's here.  Not being able to block a group chat message is another reason I hate using the SL Viewer even for a few minutes.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

There is no way to turn off group CHAT messages by group that I know of in the SL Viewer (and there is in Firestorm).  New chat messages are always popping up sometimes several a minute. I can close them but they keep coming back with a new message.  I am not talking about group IM's here.  Not being able to block a group chat message is another reason I hate using the SL Viewer even for a few minutes.  

I also want to recieve group notices, they can be about sales and new gifts.

But all the chatter? No thanks. I read the links from @Silent Mistwalker maybe I do not understand them.

What I want, is to select individual groups and mute group chat, but still receive group notices. As I do in Firestorm.

I have not used the SL viewer in a lot of years. So maybe it gets some new functions, and I never hear about it.

• Like 3

Hello once again, according to silent mistwalker, you can stop all the popups, I mean I welcome local chat, and I can always just go to the group profile and check their postings.

The included pic is from the new 7.0 rc SL viewer, and I have to admit, I have not been bombarded with popups since, but I might have been on at a time when nothing was happening.

194249resize.jpg

Edited by shireena1
edited to make more sense

@Marianne Little, The pic i added should mute group chat, and yes, you can select individual groups for messages and others not, in the same way as you do with firestorm, i just checked that. Yes, I like and use firestorm viewer too.

Edited by shireena1

52 minutes ago, shireena1 said:

The pic i added should mute group chat, and yes, you can select individual groups for messages and others not, in the same way as you do with firestorm, i just checked that.

I do not see where.  Show where you can disable a group chat, but still keep the IM messages, for an individual group.  The Preferences you showed will disable (no action) ALL groups for Group chat.  Where is the setting for only one group?  I only see where you can disable the group IM group notice, not the chat notice for a single group.  I have Receive group notices unchecked in a group and still get the group chat notices.  I don't want to mute ALL the groups in group chat, which is what the preferences setting does.

So pictures please, since I have never seen that option in the SL viewer.  Unless this is a new feature in the PBR beta version.  I am using the Current Release SL Viewer,  not the beta version 7.0xx

Edited by Jaylinbridges

41 minutes ago, shireena1 said:

he question i wanted to know was anwered by silent mistwalker. perhaps you could ask them. i am only trying the new viewer to see how my pc would go, and it went rather well. :)

OK, so you just wanted to turn off all group chat messages.  That's been in the SL viewer since 2011.  I was really responding to Marianne's question about being able to select all the options by group.  In the SL Viewer, you can not.   I tried the 7.00 alpha/beta PBR viewer, and group options are the same.

The 7.00 viewer uses more VRAM, and brightness is set wrong by LL.  It also runs my GPU at much higher levels, maxing out my fans, all for nothing visually useful.  Back to Firestorm, which is about 1/2 the load of this 7.00 PBR alpha viewer.

You can turn off group NOTICES.

You can't turn off real-time group CHAT.

To be sure, at the first moment when the chat invades, you can x-out or close the group and you won't keep hearing from it, but that's temporary, until another time you log in.

There's only one thing to do. Leave the groups. That's why I did recently. 40 of them. I really got tired of this. I can hear myself think now, it's blessed.

On 8/16/2023 at 9:31 AM, shireena1 said:

The sl viewer sucks, it has sucked since  2010 when they got rid of version 1.2x.  I swear their viewer drives more noobs away than anything else. Stick with firestorm. (phoenix layout of course)

• Like 3

On 8/18/2023 at 12:27 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

Show where you can disable a group chat, but still keep the IM messages, for an individual group. 

I am confused. What is the difference between group chat and group IM?  Is this a distinction that appears in the SL viewer but not in Firestorm? Because in Firestorm, the group chat and group IM appear to be the exact same thing.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I am confused. What is the difference between group chat and group IM?  Is this a distinction that appears in the SL viewer but not in Firestorm? Because in Firestorm, the group chat and group IM appear to be the exact same thing.

I'm not sure about the distinction that's trying to be made between group chat and group IM, either, unless by group IM they mean group notices.  In the SL viewer, group notices don't appear in the conversations window - they appear in the notifications window.   

• Like 1

On 18.08.2023 at 11:55, Jaylinbridges said:

Немає способу вимкнути групові повідомлення в ЧАТі за групою, про яку я знаю, у програмі SL Viewer (і є у Firestorm). Нові повідомлення чату завжди з’являються іноді кілька хвилин. Я можу їх закрити, але вони постійно повертаються з новими повідомленнями. Я не говорю тут про групові миттєві повідомлення. Неможливість заблокувати повідомлення групового чату є ще однією причиною, чому я ненавиджу використовувати SL Viewer навіть протягом кількох хвилин.  

the option is not great - but I simply blocked all the groups. left only the fisherman. when I log in - I click - do not show in the profile, do not receive ads, do not receive notifications. But somehow they sometimes still break through - and then my traffic dies and the computer turns red like a tile. for me, the minus in the SL browser is that I can't turn off people there (leaving only friends or all of them!), people with great complexity kill me - I either freeze and become numb. or SL stops working. and i crash

38 minutes ago, Enola2017 said:

the minus in the SL browser is that I can't turn off people there (leaving only friends or all of them!), people with great complexity kill me -

While it's true you can't select to only see friends in the SL browser, you can set the maximum complexity of other avatars to a low number (on the graphics tab in preferences) - you'll still somewhat see them, but as single color 'jelly dolls', if they are over the maximum complexity you choose.  It may help keep you from freezing or crashing. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Maitimo said:

am confused. What is the difference between group chat and group IM?  Is this a distinction that appears in the SL viewer but not in Firestorm? Because in Firestorm, the group chat and group IM appear to be the exact same thing.

Group Chat "IM" is when you send a spam message to everyone in a group, by simply typing or pasting in an event posting in the group chat.   It is more like instant chat, since saying Hi in group chat does the same thing.  Only those that have the group chat open or set to open on a message will see that text. That message is NOT sent as a group Notice.  Firestorm calls this a group instant message.  It is not a group notice.  Some might be calling a group Notice a group notice IM, just the wrong words.  If the text of the Notice is repeated in group chat by cut and paste, then it is a group instant message of a Notice.

But if you send a group notice, the text only contents of the Notice IS copied into the group chat.  The distinction is a Group Notice, sent to everyone, vs a Group Chat message, which is only sent to those that are in the group and are watching.  Once the group  opens from a message, you can close it and that blocks the group, until you relog, when the group is unblocked.

Firestorm has the options to block either one by group.  The SL Viewer does not.  The problem, as Prok summarized above, is there is no way to block a message sent via the group chat if you are a member of the group.  So you have groups always opening as someone simply types in the group chat.

The FIrestorm help group, for example, you have two check boxes for what to receive.  This means there are four combinations possible.  The Sl Viewer only has three.  There is no option to Uncheck "Receive Group instant messages" in the SL Viewer, on an individual group basis.  

2d458b553bc6db76ba18b81194c5911a.png.5bbc2e8d66c975445e6814b66c28cc37.png

I have run into new hostesses who thought if they sent a message in group chat it sent out a Notice. And others figured if they sent a Notice, they didn't need to send anything in Group chat.  Who receives these notices depends on what group blocking combination they have set for that group in their viewer. So you send an event notice in  both the group chat and Notices to cover all the possibilities.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
Too many spam groups!

7 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Group Chat "IM" is when you send a spam message to everyone in a group, by simply typing or pasting in an event posting in the group chat.   It is more like instant chat, since saying Hi in group chat does the same thing.  Only those that have the group chat open or set to open on a message will see that text. That message is NOT sent as a group Notice.  Firestorm calls this a group instant message.  It is not a group notice.  Some might be calling a group Notice a group notice IM, just the wrong words.  If the text of the Notice is repeated in group chat by cut and paste, then it is a group instant message of a Notice.

But if you send a group notice, the text only contents of the Notice IS copied into the group chat.  The distinction is a Group Notice, sent to everyone, vs a Group Chat message, which is only sent to those that are in the group and are watching.  Once the group  opens from a message, you can close it and that blocks the group, until you relog, when the group is unblocked.

Firestorm has the options to block either one by group.  The SL Viewer does not.  The problem, as Prok summarized above, is there is no way to block a message sent via the group chat if you are a member of the group.  So you have groups always opening as someone simply types in the group chat.

The FIrestorm help group, for example, you have two check boxes for what to receive.  This means there are four combinations possible.  The Sl Viewer only has three.  There is no option to Uncheck "Receive Group instant messages" in the SL Viewer, on an individual group basis.  

2d458b553bc6db76ba18b81194c5911a.png.5bbc2e8d66c975445e6814b66c28cc37.png

I have run into new hostesses who thought if they sent a message in group chat it sent out a Notice. And others figured if they sent a Notice, they didn't need to send anything in Group chat.  Who receives these notices depends on what group blocking combination they have set for that group in their viewer. So you send an event notice in  both the group chat and Notices to cover all the possibilities.  

That nicely explains the difference between "group chat/IM" and "group notice", the distinction of which I already understood. I was already aware that the text of a group notice appears in the group chat/IM window for logged-in users.

What I still don't understand is the difference between "group chat" and "group IM". As far as I can see, they are the exact same thing. A message appears in the chat window, the terms "chat" and "IM" appear to be synonymous, unless there's something else I'm missng.  I can't find any distinction between the two in Firestorm.

2 hours ago, Maitimo said:

That nicely explains the difference between "group chat/IM" and "group notice", the distinction of which I already understood. I was already aware that the text of a group notice appears in the group chat/IM window for logged-in users.

What I still don't understand is the difference between "group chat" and "group IM". As far as I can see, they are the exact same thing. A message appears in the chat window, the terms "chat" and "IM" appear to be synonymous, unless there's something else I'm missng.  I can't find any distinction between the two in Firestorm.

You won't find it because there is no difference. There is group chat and group notices, nothing else.

I think people are confused because there used to be things like Yahoo Instant Messenger, MS Instant Messenger, AOL's Instant Messenger, all of which (IMs) you can send Private Messages (PMs) to individuals or create a group chat outside of the default ones (private chat rooms).

There are no PMs in SL group chats. PMs are between individuals and are not routed through group chats. 

Here's what is on the FS wiki:

Types of Chat

There are 4 types of chat:

• Nearby chat is where everyone within chat range can hear you.
  • Group chat is where you can talk to a group as a whole.
  • Instant messaging (IM) is where you can talk privately one on one to another individual.
  • Ad Hoc (Conference) calls where you can talk to a group of people you select in an IM.

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_chat

What FS calls IMs are in fact PMs. Conference calls would be the private group I mentioned above.

So, we have:

• nearby or local chat (each region/parcel is a chat room)
  • group chats (usually used for businesses, events, clubs, etc)
  • private messages (between individuals not necessarily on the same parcel or region)
  • private groups (conference calls)

Sorry if I haven't made it clear enough. I tried. 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

I should not have used "group IM" term at all in my earlier posts even though that is technically what it is.  The issue was group Notices that appear also in a group  chat. 

Some of the confusion is because IM is Instant Message, and the key here is Instant,  not an archived message, like we do in this forum.  Any message in a group chat is also Instant, hence a group IM.  So group IM and group message are the same. Everyone i know calls a Private Message an IM,, not a PM.  "IM me" does not mean talk to me in public.  Firestorm can try to change this usage, but everyone still says "take it to an IM" when getting personal, and not take it to a PM.

What was being asked in this topic was how to stop chatting and spam in a chat group window by blocking it.  What you see depends on your viewer and it's settings in Preferences.  Firestorm has more options then the SL Viewer.  Look at all the boxes you can check or uncheck regarding group chat and notices in Firestorm:

ChatNoticePreference.png.678f920a7b20cc0810625bb5d537957f.pngChatWindowsPrefernces.png.3e0d5aae142e0db89cdbb48ed1ec1d26.png

2d458b553bc6db76ba18b81194c5911a.png.cc25d94759d2e425756dc91ff5049edd.png

The last screenshot from a specific Group, Firestorm English Help in this case.

The SL Viewer settings are simpler but limited, and nobody uses it anyway :)

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 277 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.