Introducing Senra Avatars... what do you think?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Someone complained that it was "advertising".  I agree it is not :D

Geez. That's petty. Most artists sign their work as a means of saying it's a completed work or that they shouldn't continue working it. It's not advertising.

‘I’ve worked with artists who use signatures as a note to themselves,’ says Sid Motion, who works with emerging contemporary artists at her eponymous gallery. ‘It’s a way of saying, “That piece is complete, don’t rework it”. It’s an honest, personal mark that stops them endlessly returning to a piece.’

https://www.christies.com/features/7-things-to-know-about-artist-signatures-8365-1.aspx#:~:text='It's a way of saying,signifier of a completed work.

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I couldn't get my guy to look like "I" would like to look if I was a guy (or even as anyone I would be attracted to LOL, but it is better than the default I think. 

blakeclosenosiog.thumb.jpg.7874cf4e54916269a095a9964c276232.jpg

I had a friend in college that looked very much like your Blake.  He was 19 and a sophomore when I met him, and he always looked like a teenager until he reached age 30.  Even the glasses are the same.  

But my question is, why did LL make their first Mesh/Bento head avatars look like younger teenagers?  Are they really going after the 16 and up Z generation?  Silly question really since it's obvious.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Even it it was really "free for everyone" if you were actually NEW it is really difficult to understand. I forgot that the "tutorial video" is made with a voice that is terribly hard to understand.    SO NOT really meant for new folks any longer. I loved the old realms and lots of new folks learned skills there.  The new realms is not the place.

The "new" Realms was opened in October 2018, and I thought it was an improvement over the old cartoonish Linden Realms. New rules and mostly mesh landscaping, and it was still free for anyone, no PIOF needed, and the payout was 50 $L a week for completing the four quests.  Anyone could collect crystals and cash them in for lindens after finishing the weekly quests.

Now they have reduced the weekly quest payout to 25 $L, and require PIOF AND PIUsed, eg. you must buy Lindens from your RL dollars  to cash out anything.  They hit you with a minimum fee of $1.96 to buy lindens from your paypal or a bank credit card. So pay $5 USD and LL takes $1.96 in fees, or a 40% fee to buy lindens from SL.  Newbies are not going to like this "deal".  And note that to just earn enough lindens in the Realms to recover the SL buy fee is about 500 $L.   It will take you about 10 weeks to earn back that 500L in the Realms.  

When investors take over the company, they only look at the bottom line, and the Linden Realms was a loss, if you could cash out your lindens earned in the Realms.  How many newbies could to this?  1%?   But But, evil Alts can game the system by also playing for hours every week to earn 50 $L each. We have to stop this huge loss to the Lab, says the bean counters.  Newbies can spent $99 USD upfront and live in Bellisseria.  That's the ticket.  So LR was devalued.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Where can they earn a few L?

There's fishing for one, if you just need a few L$ for some dollarbies it's not going to take very long. And, it's an activity you can do semi-passively, just need to click the rod every so often - meanwhile you could watch some SL guides on YouTube or chat with people. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I had a friend in college that looked very much like your Blake.  He was 19 and a sophomore when I met him, and he always looked like a teenager until he reached age 30.  Even the glasses are the same.  

But my question is, why did LL make their first Mesh/Bento head avatars look like younger teenagers?  Are they really going after the 16 and up Z generation?  Silly question really since it's obvious.

Yes I noted that "young" look also. Nothing wrong with that especially since the "original settlers" are getting pretty darn old now.   

And I DO agree that the new realms LOOKED better than the old but it was pretty obvious then that it was not meant for the new folks like the old one was.  I tried a few times but after the first couple of days and even with not many avatars there few crystals appeared and some of the places you needed to go on the quests I NEVER figured out.  

Again and to get back on topic sort of as we have strayed a bit into "new folks" territory -- I think the new avatars are a big step up from the old I just wish there was something for the new folks to DO to make money (like in Sansar) == even money that they could only spend on the Marketplace. That would help both new folks get their look together, learn how the Marketplace works,  help creators  and get a bit of income for LL from the sale of the items (creators get their money and LL gets there cut).  

Even the Glythes were super fun but you couldn't DO anything after you caught a gazillion glytches LOL. So back then and now still I think being able to turn in say 50 common glytches for 10 lindens would let the folks that really needed the money get some.  

But the new avatars are certainly a step in the right direction for grid growth IMO (there I "bookended" my comment :D.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Geez. That's petty. Most artists sign their work as a means of saying it's a completed work or that they shouldn't continue working it. It's not advertising.

https://www.christies.com/features/7-things-to-know-about-artist-signatures-8365-1.aspx#:~:text='It's a way of saying,signifier of a completed work.

LET'S bet back on topic  LOL. Didn't mean to lead us astray. 

SOOOOOOO ---

I am wondering if there is a "mesh body fit" that works pretty well with the avatars. Any comments on that?  In theory there will be some clothing made especially for both guys and gals but wondering what else might work.  

I admit that I haven't tried but would be good to know. If already mentioned I missed it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

LET'S bet back on topic  LOL. Didn't mean to lead us astray. 

SOOOOOOO ---

I am wondering if there is a "mesh body fit" that works pretty well with the avatars. Any comments on that?  In theory there will be some clothing made especially for both guys and gals but wondering what else might work.  

I admit that I haven't tried but would be good to know. If already mentioned I missed it. 

For me, that's going to have to wait until the end of next week when the mid-August heat wave that just hit ends. Forecast call for triple digits tomorrow (103F) which is actually normal for this area at this time of year. 

44 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Forecast call for triple digits tomorrow (103F) which is actually normal for this area at this time of year. 

102 here today, 106 Monday, 104 Tuesday, 100 Wed.  Not normal in the western lush and green Williamette valley where I am.  It seems normal because we have had these extended heat waves here more often in recent years.  ("This date" was August 12, 2023)

2023heatwave.png.09cde1e989c5a26bf392b4b7b3d9e73f.png

On Topic (sort of) - I know where a newbie can make easy lindens right in the Welcome Center estate.  Hint - It's in the SL Welcome Center Skilled Gaming region.  My 2 week old Jamie avatar was flat broke until she found the right game.  Now she is proudly showing a 60 $L balance.  Enough for a cheap body makeover.  It took her about 3 hrs of mindless clicking...

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

102 here today, 106 Monday, 104 Tuesday, 100 Wed.  Not normal in the western lush and green Williamette valley where I am.  It seems normal because we have had these extended heat waves here more often in recent years.  ("This date" was August 12, 2023)

You must be further east in the valley from where I am. Not much between here and the Coast Range. Tillamook is about an hour from here.

I was hoping for a little more from the Senra avatars, but they aren't that bad really. They do make a decent base to build from.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

For me, that's going to have to wait until the end of next week when the mid-August heat wave that just hit ends. Forecast call for triple digits tomorrow (103F) which is actually normal for this area at this time of year. 

40 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

2023heatwave.png.09cde1e989c5a26bf392b4b7b3d9e73f.png

On Topic (sort of) - I know where a newbie can make easy lindens right in the Welcome Center estate.  Hint - It's in the SL Welcome Center Skilled Gaming region.  My 2 week old Jamie avatar was flat broke until she found the right game.  Now she is proudly showing a 60 $L balance.  Enough for a cheap body makeover.  It took her about 3 hrs of mindless clicking...

I'm there with you guys.  Being on the mountain won't save me this time. To stay on topic - Even a Senra avatar would melt starting with the eyebrows and working down until you have a Senra puddle avatar.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I'm there with you guys.  Being on the mountain won't save me this time. To stay on topic - Even a Senra avatar would melt starting with the eyebrows and working down until you have a Senra puddle avatar.

Now I am envisioning my eyebrows bursting into flames as I melt into a puddle of pixels.

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

---------------- I am wondering if there is a "mesh body fit" that works pretty well with the avatars. Any comments on that?  In theory there will be some clothing made especially for both guys and gals but wondering what else might work.  

I haven't had much time with Blake, but the Belleza Jake green t-shirt from Cold Ash fit over his butt. I was very surprised that the t-shirt went over the pants, and it is no baggy shirt either. He is not swimming in it.

I was also surprised of the fit around the neck and collarbone. But when I saw in the back, the shirt collar makes a tiny cut in the body. It is a very small one.

But that is ONE creator, maybe it was luck. If I have time, I can look at the Gabriel free clothes I gave a slurl to. It is not new clothes, so it is a mix of different sizes. Some have only one or two fitmesh sizes, some have TMP size, some more sizes than that. You could make a blog post if you find out that it works well. There is also all the Kauna clothes. Suits never get out of fashion, even if the mesh and texturing is not so good as today. Men are lucky to find free stuff at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Caroline Takeda said:

YOU consider that advertising. The forum guidelines don't make that distinction.

They took someone's post down once for simply having her signature on her photo and called it advertising.  They've also taken other people posts down for linking their own blog posts so apparently, the moderators think so, too.  

In this case, they've probably let it go because it's a post about LL's own product.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

They took someone's post down once for simply having her signature on her photo and called it advertising.  They've also taken other people posts down for linking their own blog posts so apparently, the moderators think so, too.  

In this case, they've probably let it go because it's a post about LL's own product.

Interesting that the "Parade of Homes" blog is OK for those users to write about. (..also about an LL product..)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Interesting that the "Parade of Homes" blog is OK for those users to write about. (..also about an LL product..)

It's more specifically Self-Promoting which is not allowed but I guess it's ok to self-promote as long as it's a Linden product.  

Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion.

I've seen numerous posts edited or deleted when someone has posted their personal blog link.  Selective moderation is fine but they should state that in the participation guidelines.

No aggressive self-promotion unless it includes a LL product or service

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's more specifically Self-Promoting which is not allowed but I guess it's ok to self-promote as long as it's a Linden product.  

Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion.

It was a simple link to content relevant to the topic. As simple as that.

It's funny how you cite out of context and deliberately leave out the following sentences, which give an idea about self-promotion from the Linden perspective, not YOUR view. 

And no, it is not a Linden Product either. It's a Linden freebie, which is intended to make the experience for new users better. Not the same.

• Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.
Edited by Caroline Takeda
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Caroline Takeda said:

Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising: Spamming is not allowed. This includes aggressive self-promotion. No advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, unless the forum area is specifically for the buying or selling of Second Life products or services, for example, a “for sale” or “wanted” forum. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.

"Spamming" is not very well defined for the Forum.

Why, I myself was dinged for "spamming" once and have often been accused of "spamming"!

Can you imagine? And I never posted links!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Spamming" is not very well defined for the Forum.

Why, I myself was dinged for "spamming" once and have often been accused of "spamming"!

I got a slap on my fingers for that too but at the time I was linking to an actual promotion of a specific product (the mask).

There is a specific definition:

promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, or services, 

Edited by Caroline Takeda
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.