Have the forums changed?

cirleen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, cirleen said:

I can't imagine you ever getting a suspension, I can't see anything that you would ever do be cause for suspension. You might just be about the wisest person in this entire forum. Ok. Tell me your shenanigans. 😄

Lol.

Aubrey -- can I call you Aubrey? -- I think I love you. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

In that sense of things with them looking for more answers on fixing new user retention, they felt the forums weren't helping in their current state.. So we got hit with the new rules..

Chaotic forums would be a big embarrassment. I think that's one of the keys to SL's survival, the lab watches its reputation carefully to avoid being labelled. I think that's why they downplay the adult side of SL. They have to create a harmless image to calm the new users.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cirleen said:

Chaotic forums would be a big embarrassment. I think that's one of the keys to SL's survival, the lab watches its reputation carefully to avoid being labelled. I think that's why they downplay the adult side of SL. They have to create a harmless image to calm the new users.

It also would stop many new users from trying to use the forums as well or set an impression of what the world is like , as well as many other things i'm sure..

I think after being in the forums for years, we tend to feel like they are our forums and a place to sort of hang out at times.. But in reality it's their forums and in their eyes anyone should feel welcome in their forums.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It also would stop many new users from trying to use the forums as well or set an impression of what the world is like , as well as many other things i'm sure..

I think after being in the forums for years, we tend to feel like they are our forums and a place to sort of hang out at times.. But in reality it's their forums and in their eyes anyone should feel welcome in their forums.

But it hasn't really seemed to have brought more new people into the forums since the policy change. If anything, there is less people here now, especially posting.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

But it hasn't really seemed to have brought more new people into the forums since the policy change. If anything, there is less people here now, especially posting.

Being new in the forums, it just seems to me that mostly the good people have stuck around, the smart people too. I'll tell you right now, if you look at Derekmate's music thread, you can tell there's a wide variety of people here. It has amazed me since I started that everyone gets along as well as they do. I never got to see the bad days. Or the fun days, depending on how you look at it.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Maybe they flipped the switch a bit late, who knows.. I know it sure didn't give off a very welcoming vibe before the change.. There was a lot more tension in here then than there is now..

Threads were being locked all the time then because of things getting out of hand.. now it's mostly for being off topic and nowhere near as many locks.. It was easy to feel that it was only a matter of time before something had to give.. Then, they gave it.. hehehe

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Maybe they flipped the switch a bit late, who knows.. I know it sure didn't give off a very welcoming vibe before the change.. There was a lot more tension in here then than there is now..

Threads were being locked all the time then because of things getting out of hand.. now it's mostly for being off topic and nowhere near as many locks.. It was easy to feel that it was only a matter of time before something had to give.. Then, they gave it.. hehehe

Moderation has moderated it seems with more of an inclination to delete questionable posts rather than just close or delete the whole thread. I'd also wonder if some individuals have been given warnings about specific posting styles that were aggravating others and causing upset but that's conjecture. In any case it has resulted in less fighting ....mostly.

• Like 3

When the Lab changed the policy on the non-LL discussions on the board the topic was discussed at one of their group meetings --- I think the Web User Group one.  I logged in and went to that meeting. They bought in someone to takes questions about the mboards and when I popped her a question it was mainly ignored.

• Sad 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Moderation has moderated it seems with more of an inclination to delete questionable posts rather than just close or delete the whole thread. I'd also wonder if some individuals have been given warnings about specific posting styles that were aggravating others and causing upset but that's conjecture. In any case it has resulted in less fighting ....mostly.

I think that was one of the main things they were looking to achieve..much less hostility..

I don't think they look at the forums as any kind of main attraction or anything like that.. But I do think they wanted them  cleaned up to where they are more SL related rather than social media related.. It was getting pretty twittery in here.. hehehe

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

those who are regulars here, know how others respond, there's no need to reply to everything that's said.

It's always amazed me how people I follow on flickr will fave all my new pictures yet rarely make any of their own. So there must be a lot of people who read the forums but are not posting.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cirleen said:

It's always amazed me how people I follow on flickr will fave all my new pictures yet rarely make any of their own. So there must be a lot of people who read the forums but are not posting.

I think that is one of the reasons they wanted a calmer environment as well.. I gives more of a feeling that you can jump right in and join in on the community rather than just hang back and lurk..

There is probably more lurking than posting, I'm willing to bet.. hehehe

• Like 4

Little addition.. 

some years ago the QA sections were nearly as lively as the normal forums. 
After LL killed the advisors there, without telling why and other things, many pulled back.
With the same silence some stayed in that role, questions about it, could count on some lame responses from official Linden employees.

Also the start of the Belliseria groups, and acting of some officials with them did make many people frown upon, it was a quite toxic environment, where many mistakes were made by the self appointed leaders of those groups and Lindens.

Of course also the promesses made by LL, the "soon", the fail and moneypit of Sansar ( what wé paid for)  .. and some more, did bad things for SL. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The Forums are better than ever!!

Fill out that same application Strawberry Singh did. Love Linden. It has a nice ring to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Nobody's offered me a ring in years!

It's like a football ring, you get your own linden number on a jersey and you go about tackling rascals in the forums. It's a vicious sport.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I remember the forums when I joined in 2006 which had a lot of characters and was quite chaotic. Amongst the issues of SL, and new people asking questions, there were a lot of off topic subjects and it seemed like a high school filled with adults. The answers forum helped control the repetitive questions from new people and many members jumped to a different forum or two. 

For a while it was a less crazy forum but with a lot of off-topic content. Recently with the increased moderation it feels like the forum has been sanitized to a degree where it functions as a part of the corporate machine. It's both good and bad I suppose. Reminds me of Catholic school when I was growing up. Those nuns could be quite strict. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

it feels like the forum has been sanitized to a degree where it functions as a part of the corporate machine. It's both good and bad I suppose. Reminds me of Catholic school when I was growing up. Those nuns could be quite strict. 

We write our views as if the lindens might actually read it. If there's lots of forum old-timers lurking, we can bet the lindens lurk too. Who knows what effect it will have, maybe they got the idea for Sansar and mobile from what they read here and think the public wants. It's a two way street, they mod us but we guide them. If they make a living from it, better for all of us. Am I being too positive @Love Zhaoying? Someone needs to keep an eye on me. Cirleen Linden doesn't have a ring to it.

Edited by cirleen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cirleen said:

We write our views as if the lindens might actually read it. If there's lots of forum old-timers lurking, we can bet the lindens lurk too. Who knows what effect it will have, maybe they got the idea for Sansar and mobile from what they read here and think the public wants. It's a two way street, they mod us but we guide them. If they make a living from it, better for all of us. Am I being too positive @Love Zhaoying? Someone needs to keep an eye on me. Cirleen Linden doesn't have a ring to it.

You can be sure the moles will give it a few spins to make sure it doesn't get out of hand and we stay on topic..

There were long periods where it felt like the forums were ignored.. This really isn't one of those times.. hehehe

We could have lindens  and moles showing up..

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 326 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.