MP acting very strangely - store items are disappearing - item count is changing constantly

Arwen Serpente

This is one of the strangest bugs I've encountered in my 15 years as a Merchant.

The MP is erasing items from listings/search/manage listings. I lost 4 this morning.  These are regular, unlimited quantity items.  Maturity settings have been checked and it is not related to it.

I can only identify one since I have over 1000 items. Using that one example - it is active in my MP inventory, it can be purchased through a link from a prior sale, it does register in transactions when sold, confirmation email is sent when sold. It shows up in Google when searched and the Google link works.  BUT it/they are completely invisible on the MP.

As I watched over the past couple hours, the item count gradually increased BUT the items remain invisible.  In fact, on the most recent refresh the count shows MORE items than I actually have listed.

May want to check your stores to see if it is happening to you too.

I filed a support ticket, but they cannot help.

I filed a JIRA if you are interested: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-234180

Edited to add: if you want a good laugh, look at the JIRA. It would be funny except this is a real business, not a game.

Edited by Arwen Serpente
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I saw it on mp from the link in the jira. Then I tried a search for '{AS} Snowflake Princess' and it didn't show in search.  Then I tried the full title and it didnt show in search. Then I tried 'Snowflake Princess' as a search. 4 pages of results. Yours not among them. Then I tried refining the price 199 min 199 max. It  didn't show. Searching {AS} bought lots up from your store but even with a 199 min/max refine I didnt see the specific item linked in the jira. Sowwy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just had this. It was the latest item I'd added, so I noticed it had gone. There is a workaround if you know which item. If you go to the inworld inventory where it's still showing the product as listed, you can right click menu and "Edit Listing". This will bring up the edit page in the web browser and then you can just click "update" to get the product to reappear.

• Thanks 3

I'll give that a try.

Are you seeing the number of items in your store jumping around? I can't believe the variations I'm getting. There should be 1060 in my store (see the JIRA for a blow by blow of the jumps). I just checked and it says I have 1066 (in the sidebar) and 1053 matching in the heading next to it. Totally off. image.png.6ebfa1cf45d5392741f78f4b39470255.png

Edited to add: Thank you! that workaround was successful. Unfortunately, I can only identify 1 of the 4 that were missing (like you a very recent listing). I have over 1000 listings and can't identify the others.

Edited to add: lol, now total items are 1069 even though matching says 1054. I have NO idea what those extra 9 items are.

Edited by Arwen Serpente

I have 110 items according to the count on the public store and the private manage listings page. I have 111 according to the totals in the category and price sections at the side of the store. I counted them manually and 110 is the correct answer. The phantom result is in the fantasy flowers and plants category, which is not the category of the previously missing item, so I have no idea why it thinks there's one more.

This is ridiculous. I just started looking by category and counting. Every time I return to the total page, I suddenly have more items! I'm up to 1074 now and should have only 1060.

And now 1078!

Edited to add - up to 1082 now! Wish my sales would increase this fast.

Edited by Arwen Serpente

I've had this happen as well. Items disappear but the workaround stated earlier fixes it.

I also have the "ghost" products, more items in a category than I have, and non-existent items in categories that I don't have items in. 

It's a lot easier for me to see happening as I only have 20 items total, and 17 of those in the same category. Though apparently I currently have 29 products (I don't).

image.png.f76f2d259e70f70f4ccb999084196cdb.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arwen Serpente said:

Overnight, the total items in my store grew to 1129

Hey! those must be mine! 😁
My total item count decreased by 67 since yesterday evening LOL. From 3420 to 3353.  (but i should have only 3 less because sold out)
By category (3399) and by price (3405) count are both not corresponding to the total, but both decreased by 33.

But I am affected by a different MP bug at the moment. If you so want, it's the contrary: Sold out listings still appear in MP 😛

On 7/26/2023 at 2:14 PM, Samara Sharkfin said:

the limited quantities items are still shown in my store and in the product search, but show correctly as sold out under manage listings.

I was told by support that my issue (out of stock still listed) affects only some accounts and Engineering was informed about it.

Now i also wonder if i have invisible listings too. (mumble mumble)

Using the Update fix does not fix the out of stock items, they stay visible in my store and in search.
Of course i could delete a listing if it is really out of stock, but often i refill those with some newly bought ones.

Maybe, and here i am speculating, Engineering is fixing things slowly and that could be the reason why the counts are "kind of fuzzy".
I could also imagine that the totals by category and by price are delayed because they are calculated only periodically.
Who knows...

• Like 1

I saw your thread Samara. I wasn't sure if the two issues were related or not since mine are unlimited items and not limited. Most likely though, since it is all about item count and visibility, they are related. Since the MP isn't communicating what changes they are making to the MP code (if they are working on it as they promised), this will remain a mystery until they fix it.

For stores with unlimited items, the totals by category and price have always been static unless the Merchant lists or unlists an item. I check every day and have never seen this kind of bouncing around and error. I've never seen my listings just completely disappear when they are actually there. When I add something new, I see the total go up by that amount. If I unlist something, it goes down. This bouncing around is very recent - last 24 hours as far as I can tell since I check every day and multiple times a day while I work. Your issue with limited items has been going on for a while now, so maybe whatever fiddling the engineers are doing to fix that issue is messing up the rest.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, YallaDoll said:

Hello, some of my items are missing too.

Here on this dress fatpack you can see many related dresses. However, if you on my store page, these dresses do not show.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/YALLA-Sheila-Dress-FATPACK/25023692

If you click through the related items at the bottom of the Fat Pack page, the dresses show and are active. But they don't show, as you've said, on the main store page. Nor do they show in search. This happens with my related items as well - if a product is there, it can be clicked and the listing is there even if the product is invisible when looking at the main store, or when using search.

Edited to add:

Polenth Yue did provide a workaround earlier in this thread :

"I just had this. It was the latest item I'd added, so I noticed it had gone. There is a workaround if you know which item. If you go to the inworld inventory where it's still showing the product as listed, you can right click menu and "Edit Listing". This will bring up the edit page in the web browser and then you can just click "update" to get the product to reappear."

It's great if you know which item is invisible.

Edited by Arwen Serpente
  • Like 1

I am missing 5 listings. I was able to restore one earlier today by following the tip above about editing the listing from in world. That brought the number of missing listings to 4, but I just checked the total again, a few hours later, and I am missing 5 again and the one I had restored is still listed. It seems to have hidden a different listing this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Froukje Hoorenbeek said:

I opened a new ticket about it, cause Spidey is closing them all without referring us to the ones that is open

The lack of interest from Linden Lab in resolving the problems is truly worrying. They seem to be turning a blind eye and deaf ear to our pleas for a serious resolution to the situation. Ignoring the concerns of business owners has become a standard behavior for LL. We all have been facing issues since LL introduced the new marketplace, yet they persist in praising a system that clearly doesn't work in any way. The search function is broken, our shops are experiencing problems, the advertising system doesn't work properly, and the Orders page is also dysfunctional. Honestly, I don't see a viable solution for this situation with the current LL attitude. With every new problem that arises with MP, the whole situation feels more like sabotage of the MP rather than anything else.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

The lack of interest from Linden Lab in resolving the problems is truly worrying. They seem to be turning a blind eye and deaf ear to our pleas for a serious resolution to the situation. Ignoring the concerns of business owners has become a standard behavior for LL. We all have been facing issues since LL introduced the new marketplace, yet they persist in praising a system that clearly doesn't work in any way. The search function is broken, our shops are experiencing problems, the advertising system doesn't work properly, and the Orders page is also dysfunctional. Honestly, I don't see a viable solution for this situation with the current LL attitude. With every new problem that arises with MP, the whole situation feels more like sabotage of the MP rather than anything else.

QFT. Well said, RohanaRaven.