Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Because otherwise it's just RP. Which to be fair, is probably at least half of what goes on here. Because you're all insane. 

Being too sane in an insane world is sure to drive you crazy.

Seriously though, being able to imagine and express different perspectives is not a sign of insanity. The ability to understand different perspectives helps us get along with each other. Roleplay teaches this ability, as does acting, reading, and writing from the perspective of different characters. It's only insanity when one can't control or understand how they shift into different perspectives.

A good parent should be able to understand how their child might feel and think, for instance, but they shouldn't spontaneously shift into childlike thinking themself. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Because otherwise it's just RP. Which to be fair, is probably at least half of what goes on here. Because you're all insane. 

Of course we are, that's a given.  But your first statement is exactly my point.  The SL forums aren't, IMO, an RP area especially in General Discussion.

33 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

If one has another account that they frequently use, and that account take pictures that would go into one of the picture threads, I can see posting those pictures under the other account name because that is something the other account was doing in SL. 

Yep, also have no problem with that either.  However, when those alts start posting in other threads as those alts and not the person who mainly posts, that would fall under the above, RP.  Not what I look for in General Discussions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
22 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Of course we are, that's a given.  But your first statement is exactly my point.  The SL forums aren't, IMO, an RP area especially in General Discussion.

..but the Alts who login to the Forums to reply to their other Alts are TOTALLY SANE! 

Sounds legit, amirite?

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There was, as I recall, a story in a relatively well-known publication that detailed precisely this situation back in . . . maybe 2006 or so? The story included interviews with both men, and noted that, even after they had both been "outed," they continued their relationship on at least some level or another.

It's not "crazy sh!t" -- it's Second Life!

Did you ever get an answer? I haven't looked that far.

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/08/341706/2.html

Edit: thread starts here: http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/08/341706/1.html

/me disappears

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

This has been a really enlightening discussion. I almost want to riff off it and start a new thread called ...

"If you were going to be an alt, who would you like to be the alt of?"

My Alt would pretend to the an ex-lover of someone really hot and intelligent who I have a crush on, so that I could feel really good about myself.  So I guess that means, I would be an Alt of my crush's ex-lover.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Did you ever get an answer? I haven't looked that far.

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/327/08/341706/2.html

/me disappears

Wow, YOU dug deep!

Yeah, so we were talking about this on the forum in 2009!

I don't know that I did!

Sidebar: Look at me, all system avatary!!
And there's my forum join date: 11 October, 2008. Gawd I'm old . . .

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Technically, as long as it is SL focused I think it is acceptable, right?  As far as actual roleplay, it usually is kind of a mishmash here, perhaps a theme people like to represent (I do, not necessarily RP entirely but a goofy story to go along with my pictures which is usually very obvious and ties in with what I am doing in SL in some way)  we are in a fantasy world after all, represented by avatars, playing some role based around them.  

We have real life platforms like facebook, where roleplay is a bit out of the realm of reason for most people, avatars are not allowed by their rules, we tie in our real lives with the account.  I mean, people do *RP* but it is more of a *LARP* for points.  In SL though, this is all more or less make believe, it is not real.  I'm not actually a red head wandering around a desert as depicted in my avatar.  I'm not actually a zombie hunter, I don't even own any guns in real life, they kind of scare me.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Istelathis said:
24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Technically, as long as it is SL focused I think it is acceptable, right?  As far as actual roleplay, it usually is kind of a mishmash here, perhaps a theme people like to represent (I do, not necessarily RP entirely but a goofy story to go along with my pictures which is usually very obvious and ties in with what I am doing in SL in some way)  we are in a fantasy world after all, represented by avatars, playing some role based around them.  

It would be interesting (to me at least) if we, you know - bear with me here - this sounds EXTRA NUTTY - if we were to like, ROLEPLAY in the ROLEPLAY Forum.

I know, I know - absolutely nutters, innit?

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It would be interesting (to me at least) if we, you know - bear with me here - this sounds EXTRA NUTTY - if we were to like, ROLEPLAY in the ROLEPLAY Forum.

I know, I know - absolutely nutters, innit?

I've always thought of the roleplay forum as an actual area where people have established rules for certain types of roleplay, where they abide by a specific storyline and stick with it, have expectations of how others participate in the threads, and so on.  General as a multipurpose sub forum, where there are no real expectations and it is more free flowing as long as we follow the basic rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I've always thought of the roleplay forum as an actual area where people have established rules for certain types of roleplay, where they abide by a specific storyline and stick with it, have expectations of how others participate in the threads, and so on.  General as a multipurpose sub forum, where there are no real expectations and it is more free flowing as long as we follow the basic rules.

I started an actual RP thread there once, it didn't last long because, Lion.

• Like 1

This thread is moving too fast for me to catch up. 🤣

Are alts themselves bad?
No. There are many innocuous reasons for their existence. Like everything else in life, there will always be some bad actors looking to misuse something for their nefarious needs.

Do I care if there are multiple alts spawning from a single typist?
I guess not. I usually take avatars as they are as individuals, both here and inworld. If someone wants to start anew as a third or fourth lifer and mask themselves pretty well, I would be none the wiser until their pilot says something. But if they fail at masking with red flags blaring all over the place, their deception would not necessarily draw my ire. I would be quite amused at their failure to pull wool over my eyes. I may or may not mock them for it at my discretion.  Of course jokey posts made by obvious alts do not fall in this category.

Edited by Eddy Vortex
mein englisch doth suckeh
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That assumes one initially posts in the Forums with the intent to become part of the community rather than coming on to ask a question with the account one is having issues with and from there becoming increasingly involved to a point where switching to a more RL represented avatar account would lose some posting history. That is certainly the case for me where I never intended to post here as much as I did and only came to make a couple of random comments/questions in the beginning and so used an account that is my main inworld but not the most representative of my RL.

An unrealistic expectation that people who post here come with the intent to be a part of the Forum community.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.