Ideas for Compliments in Second Life (Bonus if Back-handed!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

43 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

One can use that one only once like with all the other compliments.

It is all so complicated, women tend to read all kinds of everything out of what one says.
Wow, I like your new hair style ----------- you mean I wear normally a rubbish one?
And so on and etc.

Only once? Since when? There's nothing complicated about saying a simple phrase to help a fellow human feel better about themselves. Seems like your environment was composed of an awful lot of snobs at some point.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh come on, Sid. That's nonsense. Women respond to normal compliments that don't have obvious subtexts in exactly the same way that men do. Stop with the Henny Youngman impersonation!

Sid doesn't have a wife. He's too much of a teddy bear on the inside.

Edit: Yes, the teddy bear stuff(ing) is intended as a compliment.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Women respond to normal compliments that don't have obvious subtexts in exactly the same way that men do.

"You have a lovely jugular." Wags eyebrows. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sid doesn't have a wife.

It's kind of amazing that Youngman did!

(Apparently, actually, he and his wife had a very close and loving relationship, so that is nice!)

9 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

He's too much of a teddy bear on the inside.

Edit: Yes, the teddy bear stuff(ing) is intended as a compliment.

Oh yes. To be clear, I'm very fond of Sid, and my comments are at least half in jest. (As I am pretty sure are his!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

On the one hand, the "you should smile more" etc. thing isn't really about backhanded compliments -- it's about control.

At the same time, of course, it is insulting to tell a woman that, while you think she is attractive, she's not really "womaning" in the way that the person saying it thinks is "correct" or "proper" or "appropriate" or, of course, "attractive."

But even that is about control: it's about trying to make women conform to a particular individual, or socialized, notion of "women."

Whereas, simply saying something like "You look great," or "I like your shoes" or "Cool makeup" not only makes a woman feel good about herself, but is an affirmation of a woman's right to choose how she looks, independent of anyone else's preconceptions.

And it's a hell of a lot more likely to get a "smile" in response.

So, it's a win-win really.

I do get " You look good wearing normal hair" compliment which I think fall under this same category since what I usually wear isn't normal?  Normal for who?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I try hard to make helpful compliments and advice. 

Before fitted mesh for specific shapes,

"you really should wear an alpha layer around your hips, because I can see fat poking thru the dress in the rear."  

My favorite - "could you try to set the slider to thin down your lips?"

Maybe I missed the point of this thread...

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

boomers are the baby boom that occured after world war two till about 1960, its the boomers parents that got us out of the depression and won the war. and yes boomers think they were gods gift to the world

But most of my friends are boomers, and my business depends on them.  So you give them a false compliment and they never know the difference.  Note that I got four positive upvotes, while you got one laugh, from a boomer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A friend of mine, usually a kind soul, has got a knack for the most backhanded compliments. The best part is that it comes from a genuine desire to be kind.

For example, the other day I was just trying my hand at a butterfly hair brouche in Blender. I spent a few hours on it and wanted to share my progress with her.

Result: "Awww, it was a nice idea!"

Youch!

Or I was taking a fancy picture that took a lot of work and usually she's pretty excitable about these, a shared passion. This time:

"Oh! You tried something new!"

Aaaaaand?

No and. Youch. The quintessential you tried reply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I do get " You look good wearing normal hair" compliment which I think fall under this same category since what I usually wear isn't normal?  Normal for who?

Wouldn't "normal" mean 90 degrees perpendicular to something? Like Grace Jones' flattop, parallel to the ground and 90 degrees to her awesome physique?

2 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

Result: "Awww, it was a nice idea!"

Youch!

Or I was taking a fancy picture that took a lot of work and usually she's pretty excitable about these, a shared passion. This time:

"Oh! You tried something new!"

Aaaaaand?

No and. Youch. The quintessential you tried reply.

"Nice drawing, Bobby! It will look fine on our refrigerator!"

• Like 1

There is a dictionary of today's definition and there is common usage. I was surprised that I found few references to the past for of BH-Compliments in common usage. My dad says they were an intellectual exercise that depending on how delivered were meant as a compliment or joke. Usually done to tease people.

In our woke world there is little humor or intelligence. So I probably should not be surprised at the change in dictionary definition.

If I say, "Wow! You are really WOKE!" is that a compliment,  insult, or a backhanded compliment?

How about, "Nice set of pronouns!"

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

There is a dictionary of today's definition and there is common usage. I was surprised that I found few references to the past for of BH-Compliments in common usage. My dad says they were an intellectual exercise that depending on how delivered were meant as a compliment or joke. Usually done to tease people.

In our woke world there is little humor or intelligence. So I probably should not be surprised at the change in dictionary definition.

If I say, "Wow! You are really WOKE!" is that a compliment,  insult, or a backhanded compliment?

How about, "Nice set of pronouns!"

Then there's "self-deprecating humor"..

29 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

"I can't post a pic with you on Flickr. My friends might see. I only put the people I'm closest to on there"

Yeah, I'd have deleted them right there.  That's effed up.on so many levels.  

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 338 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.