Mainstream failure of SL & Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

You have a point?

Generally, you're not so obtuse, Arielle.

MANY people means not all people. Not everyone shares your ideologically-driven view that life is red-in-tooth-and-claw, and a Darwinist survival of the fittest.

So, to borrow some language, don't shove that view, or it's simulated application in SL, down everyone's throats.

Provide on-boarding for people like yourself who believe life is all about "competition."

And provide a parallel approach for people who don't.

I thought you were all about "free choice"? Why is this hard to grasp?

• Like 2

I still think sacrificing a noob or two a day to the volcano will yield better crops, and put an end to this drought.  We can create all of the games in the world, provide SLex, make the GUI more intuitive, provide better animations, even make a mobile viewer, but without sacrificial noobs, it is all for naught.  

Think of the volcano as Maslow's histrionics of needs, a pyramid shaped object.  It needs noobs, to feed the gods, to produce rain, to provide better crops and we just are not doing our part to ensure the survival of SL.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Istelathis said:

I still think sacrificing a noob or two a day to the volcano will yield better crops, and put an end to this drought.  We can create all of the games in the world, provide SLex, make the GUI more intuitive, provide better animations, even make a mobile viewer, but without sacrificial noobs, it is all for naught.  

Think of the volcano as Maslow's histrionics of needs, a pyramid shaped object.  It needs noobs, to feed the gods, to produce rain, to provide better crops and we just are not doing our part to ensure the survival of SL.

Arguably, that's a metaphor for what we're doing now!

I like your game-driven approach though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Just watch your lover "pop up," hot, buttered, and ready to . . . you know!

Not to kink-shame or anything, but .. You butter your toast before you put them in the toaster?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952oyh702jl5kp21xmneh

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Generally, you're not so obtuse, Arielle.

MANY people means not all people. Not everyone shares your ideologically-driven view that life is red-in-tooth-and-claw, and a Darwinist survival of the fittest.

So, to borrow some language, don't shove that view, or it's simulated application in SL, down everyone's throats.

Provide on-boarding for people like yourself who believe life is all about "competition."

How you chose to respond says a lot about you Scylla. Did you read the link I posted? I did not get a sense it came across as an ideologically-driven view that life is red-in-tooth-and-claw, and a Darwinist survival of the fittest. Is that how you saw it?

You do realize that the context of the OP was only in regard to newer people and isn't meant to apply to residents who have found an ongoing interest? Noone is forcing anyone to do anything but is only intended to help new people find some purpose for being here, probably like your first 15 or so years of life growing up. It is wonderful that you obviously knew what you wanted to do the moment you arrived here, but it is rather obvious many do not resulting in them leaving before finding their niche. Why would you as an educator be so bound and determined to deny the new person that sort of "curriculum"? Is that not what educators do in R/L, develop a process for the student that will help them find their talent and interest?

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Not to kink-shame or anything, but .. You butter your toast before you put them in the toaster?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952oyh702jl5kp21xmneh

I tried some special toaster inserts that even let you put slices of bread with cheese in between in your toaster, to make grilled cheese in your toaster. So with that, you could indeed make buttered toast in the toaster.

Myself, I finally got a special "toaster oven" - so with that type, there's no problem buttering the bread before putting it in.  My whole life, I never had a toaster oven. Neither did my parents.  Then I found a model that also "bakes" with no warmup time due to special infrared heating elements..great for cookies.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Many see R/L as a game, so how can a reasonably accurate virtualized representation of it not be seen as the same? In the real we need challenges and goals to grow up and find and enhance our talent. If a virtual world does not provide something similar, the residents will never attain all they could be and the lack of challenge and competition will result in boredom and a wasted life, virtual or real.

I'm fairly open to letting people do as they please as long as they aren't hurting someone, but If someone views real life, where real people, lives and emotions exist, as a game, then something is wrong with that person. I feel like I'm talking to a Coffee clone right now. >.> You two should talk, I think you would get along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I'm fairly open to letting people do as they please as long as they aren't hurting someone, but If someone views real life, where real people, lives and emotions exist, as a game, then something is wrong with that person. I feel like I'm talking to a Coffee clone right now. >.> You two should talk, I think you would get along.

You're new here I guess. Coffee and I in past have had some pretty good disagreements. Just in this topic I agree with her ;)

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

You're new here I guess. Coffee and I in past have had some pretty good disagreements. Just in this topic I agree with her ;)

I don't frequent the forums super often, I wouldn't even be on them at the moment if I hadn't found it while trying to search up an answer to a question. The topic had seemed interesting and I had never heard of the Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs before, so checked it out. So you would be correct.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I don't frequent the forums super often, I wouldn't even be on them at the moment if I hadn't found it while trying to search up an answer to a question. The topic had seemed interesting and I had never heard of the Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs before, so checked it out. So you would be correct.

Be careful, all it takes is a few Forum topic posts and you can easily become addicted!

There is no cure, although some have tried to "flounce" - they always return.

Well, almost always.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Be careful, all it takes is a few Forum topic posts and you can easily become addicted!

There is no cure, although some have tried to "flounce" - they always return.

Well, almost always.

They altways return? 🤡

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, MissSweetViolet said:

I mean some people view life as a game, as a means to motivate themselves and push themselves to do and be better. I used to be like that actually, and it helped me a lot. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why would you as an educator be so bound and determined to deny the new person that sort of "curriculum"?

She didn't.  Did you even read what you quoted?

53 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

How you chose to respond says a lot about you Scylla.

I should hope so! Wouldn't it be awful if it said a lot about someone else?

35 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Did you read the link I posted? I did not get a sense it came across as an ideologically-driven view that life is red-in-tooth-and-claw, and a Darwinist survival of the fittest. Is that how you saw it?

I responded not to the link but to what you said, which I even quoted. But whatevs, let's leave ideology out of it.

36 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why would you as an educator be so bound and determined to deny the new person that sort of "curriculum"? Is that not what educators do in R/L, develop a process for the student that will help them find their talent and interest?

Anyone who has been at the front of a classroom, at whatever level, is well aware of the fact that there are different learning styles. That became particularly evident when everything went online during the pandemic.

A lot of bunk has been written about this over the years, but in general, this is why a good teacher does, in fact, mix teaching approaches, and offers different ways to approach the subject. That's why universities offer online courses, in-person classes, and hybrid courses, with different styles and approaches additionally mixed in with each of these categories.

And that's why LL should also offer choice for the onboarding process. Which is precisely what I've suggested over and over again here, so many times that it's beginning to give me a repetitive stress injury. And why Rowan has already very aptly responded to this:

41 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Why would you as an educator be so bound and determined to deny the new person that sort of "curriculum"?

I wouldn't.

Because to insist upon only one path to learning would not only be counterproductive, but a wee bit authoritarian.

You're not "authoritarian," are you Arielle?

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 318 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.