Mainstream failure of SL & Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Hardly surprising. I've been told that SL is really all about . . .

. . . being strange bedfellows.

You know what they say, when "love" gets dull, the solution can be to get a little "strange". (ICYMI, that means a new partner, not "doing it strangely". Some comedians observed this may be as simple as "switching hands".)

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

How you chose to respond says a lot about you Scylla. Did you read the link I posted? I did not get a sense it came across as an ideologically-driven view that life is red-in-tooth-and-claw, and a Darwinist survival of the fittest. Is that how you saw it?

You do realize that the context of the OP was only in regard to newer people and isn't meant to apply to residents who have found an ongoing interest? Noone is forcing anyone to do anything but is only intended to help new people find some purpose for being here, probably like your first 15 or so years of life growing up. It is wonderful that you obviously knew what you wanted to do the moment you arrived here, but it is rather obvious many do not resulting in them leaving before finding their niche. Why would you as an educator be so bound and determined to deny the new person that sort of "curriculum"? Is that not what educators do in R/L, develop a process for the student that will help them find their talent and interest?

But the point is, you can't just teach a person one thing. Lets use Sex in SL and expect them to understand SL. The teacher would be doing a disservice to the student, only teaching them one subject.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, this is starting to get a bit nasty again -- apparently I'm "gaslighting" poor Arielle. And it's certainly repeating itself.

The true definition of insanity is to keep trying to make something worthwhile out of this thread.

Imma gonna be sane for a while, I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

But the point is, you can't just teach a person one thing. Lets use Sex in SL and expect them to understand SL. The teacher would be doing a disservice to the student, only teaching them one subject.

Up to now new people haven't been given anything so the ones against the idea of presenting some challenges are just pitching for things to stay the way they are. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, this is starting to get a bit nasty again -- apparently I'm "gaslighting" poor Arielle. And it's certainly repeating itself.

The true definition of insanity is to keep trying to make something worthwhile out of this thread.

Imma gonna be sane for a while, I think.

I suspect she's just blowing smoke. But no matter how dark it gets from her turning down the lamp, don't strike a match - if she's blowing gas, a dangerous essploshun could result. Prims, mesh, Tris evurwhere!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Change isn't always good, especially by touting the higher populations of AVChat and Minecraft or whatever as an example for what we should move toward. I experienced them as very young, hyper people, shooting me with paint guns and screaming lewd comments.

Don't forget, the majority of the population here is middle-aged women, doing a lot of shopping, and the types of people described above in massive numbers will drive us away.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Change isn't always good, especially by touting the higher populations of AVChat and Minecraft or whatever as an example for what we should move toward. I experienced them as very young, hyper people, shooting me with paint guns and screaming lewd comments.

Don't forget, the majority of the population here is middle-aged women, doing a lot of shopping, and the types of people described above in massive numbers will drive us away.

Yeah, massive numbers of broke people begging for linden

• Like 2

Someone keeps.missing the fact that people have said here...Yes, by all means...add some sort of challenge, game, achievement for new people.  Awesome idea.  I've mentioned it myself in the past.  But...we also say to make it optional.

• Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I know....he is known as Lord Ganesha inworld, and we eagerly await the truth he bestows on us each week.

To paraphrase a certain senator, "I knew Ganesha. He's no Ganesha." 
(A bit ironically, Ganesha is the only deity  I've seen in a deep meditation vision.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Someone keeps.missing the fact that people have said here...Yes, by all means...add some sort of challenge, game, achievement for new people.  Awesome idea.  I've mentioned it myself in the past.  But...we also say to make it optional.

Facts are overrated. 

32 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If certain people are only here for the adult content, then shouldn't that mean they are happy here?

Maybe they went through everyone and need new blood?

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

No one said make it mandatory. Some seem to be missing that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Many see R/L as a game, so how can a reasonably accurate virtualized representation of it not be seen as the same? In the real we need challenges and goals to grow up and find and enhance our talent. If a virtual world does not provide something similar, the residents will never attain all they could be and the lack of challenge and competition will result in boredom and a wasted life, virtual or real.

If life is a game, humans lost it long ago.

Okay, so maybe people do view life as a game, but what’s wrong with that? Well, essentially, life isn’t a game. The risks are different, the rewards are much different, and the rules are not even similar.

In a game, nothing really has moral significance. You can shoot people up in games all day long, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, in life, there are things of moral significance everywhere around us.

Using other people to get what we want is wrong. Focusing only on ourselves is wrong. And yes, focusing only on beating others is focusing only on ourselves.

The mindset of a game, the idea that it is all about beating other people, doesn’t cut it in reality. We must focus on more than just winning. We must realize that we cannot win. We cannot beat the standard which has been set for us on our own.

Life isn’t about being better than everyone else. It is about doing our best.

If you suspect that life might, in truth, be a game, your next step might be to try to figure out what kind of game it is. Instead, ask yourself what you think the goal might be: a) to win or b) to have fun.

Not that those two are mutually exclusive, but rather to note that they are a) not the same, and b) winning is what happens when the game is over. Hence, longevity-wise, not the fun it's cracked up to be.

On the other hand, it's easy to understand why we make that mistake - thinking that life is a game. Because when we are playing a game, and the game is good and we are playing well, we feel more, well, alive. And we call it "fun." But the real fun of fun is not because of the game, it's because of the experience of aliveness, of being in life, in the whole of it, completely. That's the prize, the feeling of being alive. Like the feeling you get when you jump into the swimming pool without even testing how cold the water is, or the feeling of almost drowning in your lover's eyes, or the feeling you get when you watch animals at play: the sheer aliveness of it all.

And as long as we think of it as game, especially one that we think we can win, we pretend that we haven't won yet. We pretend that when we win, and only when we win, we'll have something we can really celebrate, something we can delight in, victory at last. When all along, the fun, the aliveness we've been experiencing is the only victory that counts. The only victory. 

Life, despite popular belief, isn't a game. It's the prize.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@Arielle PopstarLife is not a game if you are a responsible adult with people leaning on you. But it is competitive. All the games we make are safe with rules etc. Life is life......sorry that statement triggered me. Nurturing and teaching my daughter is not a game. Giving my husband emotional support is not a game. Worrying about my mother in laws health and how we can support her as she becomes less independent is not a game. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No one said make it mandatory. Some seem to be missing that.

I didn't say anyone else said make it mandatory.  I was speaking to your comment 

59 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

so the ones against the idea of presenting some challenges are just pitching for things to stay the way they are. If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Most people haven't said they are totally against it.  They're against having it forced.

Actually, from some comments made, the OP might think.it should be mandatory if we want to retain users.

Nice gas lighting yourself there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.