Parcel level bot detection

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

that tells me the status of anyone in the region as I travel.  Just for science you understand.

I don't really understand. How is the info that there's a bot, whose owner complied with TOS, standing in a sim that you travel through useful to you?

• Like 1

Just now, xDancingStarx said:

I don't really understand. How is the info that there's a bot, whose owner complied with TOS, standing in a sim that you travel through useful to you?

Testing the feature initially, then just plain old curiosity, nothing more.  Once the shiny rubs off, it'll most likely end up laying inert in my inventory.

4 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

you can keep them out of your parcel, even when the region does allow them.

• Like 1

Alwin, they were asking me about my hud attachment which scans as I travel, not the land security system.

I did find something interesting.  A popular estate with a community gateway had 30+ scripted agents which was over half of the present avatars on one of their regions.
Was it to make it seem more popular than it was?  Cannot be for traffic.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

I still think this is the wrong way to go about it.

All this does is gives residents the ability to target people for following the rules. Doesn't help us with people that don't register their bots- which the bad actors certainly won't.

When I say it like that, it seems like an absolutely moronic idea, actually.

I suspect it causes as many, if not more, problems as it solves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

*shrugs* If our membership status with LL is subject to the same casual inspection inworld via script (which it is) then this is much more minor by comparison.  Actual people (rather than scripted agents) could be targetting for their financial status.

Membership level doesn't come with the same misunderstandings and animosity as scripted agent status- both caused by people that aren't going to register as scripted agents anyway.

58 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I did find something interesting.  A popular estate with a community gateway had 30+ scripted agents which was over half of the present avatars on one of their regions.
Was it to make it seem more popular than it was?  Cannot be for traffic.

Even if the registered bots don't count for traffic, I think club owners know that lots of folks, especially new people, often just open the map and go to places that have lots of people there.  So yes, I think they are just trying to make the place look popular in order to attract more real folks.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I believe it's up to each individual to learn about these things and what they mean

Oh, I get it, we're having a wishful thinking session.

I believe this will make all the bot operators register their bots and take their bans with honesty and good grace!

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Even if the registered bots don't count for traffic, I think club owners know that lots of folks, especially new people, often just open the map and go to places that have lots of people there.  So yes, I think they are just trying to make the place look popular in order to attract more real folks.  

In that case this seems like a useful tool to find out about those places and avoid them.  If they change their scripted agent status to avoid detection, it'll still be obvious and they will be in violation of the traffic gaming policy.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

There is one very niche case where it could help. This is a) you're a mainland owner, b) you have registered scripted agents particularly choosing your parcel as landing spot. In general there isn't the need for a mainland bot to access a private parcel. If it does, it's probably inefficient programming. Now in theory, and I'm just brainstorming here, if you live at the center of a sim, and there are registered bots programmed to go to the center of a sim, I see how it creates an issue for you if they access your and only your parcel. So if you reliably ban registered scripted agents who have visited your parcel, it may help for now. Of course there are some issues with this. I own mainland myself and neither have I or any of my friends issues with roaming bots. But I also don't belong to those people who inspect their parcel access logs every day. Could it be that bots access my parcel when I'm not there? Possible. Could it be that regular users access my parcel when I'm not there? Possible. Does it affect me in any way? No. Why? When I have somebody accessing my parcel it's usually someone looking for free sex. Not a bot.

In all other (non mainland) cases, banning bots will only lead to people removing the scripted agent status from the accounts. There is no reason to suggest anything else. They will get reported, accounts halted, new accounts created. This is what happens in online games. And it's an eternal thing.

6 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

There is one very niche case where it could help.

Oh, I'm not saying it won't help some people.

I just think for every person it does help (although I'm willing to bet it's going to do more harm than actual, actionable good), there will be just as many legit, honest bots targeted by ban orbs and HUDs. We've already seen one person in this very thread say they were going to wear a HUD around to find registered bots.

Edited by Paul Hexem

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

All this does is gives residents the ability to target people for following the rules.

There's the catch. In my experience it does not actually target the people, it targets scripted agents. People can still visit our marina as often as they like. Those 20 to 30 bots that get kicked daily have yet to make their case to me.

The region where I build was getting a ridiculous number of bots every day. Once we added the ban, very few still appear. So most bot owners are following the rules. Not really surprising, as they don't want to get reported and have their bot networks taken down. The idea that the bans are silly because hypothetically people might stop registering their bots is entirely hypothetical. It's not what's actually been happening in the majority of cases.

At a parcel level, a ban won't actually stop bots surveying the region. It'll just stop them landing in someone's kitchen all the time. That's really been the biggest issue. Not that the bots are necessarily up to anything bad, but that everyone decided they needed twenty and the numbers were becoming a problem.

The scripted function has a wider use though and might be useful to some bots. I can see the ones that record attachments could benefit from separating out what other survey bots are wearing compared to real avatars. it also means things like greeters and other stationary bots could be excluded from visitor information.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

I still think this is the wrong way to go about it.

All this does is gives residents the ability to target people for following the rules. Doesn't help us with people that don't register their bots- which the bad actors certainly won't.

When I say it like that, it seems like an absolutely moronic idea, actually.

The bot would be very unfortunate, unless the script is running on a ridiculously fast timer, if it were to be detected and ejected by a scanner before it had completed its work, legitimate or illegitimate.    Meanwhile, the parcel owner is happy, if this is the sort of thing that makes them happy, they've got an anti-bot script running on the parcel.

I'd buy a HUD that did this.

One of the points that I think @Paul Hexem is missing is that a script that allows one to verify that a bot is a registered scripted agent will also, by a process of elimination, determine in some cases which bots are not registered. And they can be ARed.

I've had a bot appearing on my mainland parcel and sitting there for days at a time. I've left her there because I don't know if she's registered or not. If I can determine that she's not -- and she's very obviously a bot -- I'll boot and ban her.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

One of the points that I think @Paul Hexem is missing is that a script that allows one to verify that a bot is a registered scripted agent will also, by a process of elimination, determine in some cases which bots are not registered. And they can be ARed.

That comment misses that I already said, twice, that it'll do good and bad.

The fact that I have to keep saying this proves my point about how blindly emotional people get when it comes to the topic of bots. Exactly the kind of bad I'm talking about.

Edited by Paul Hexem

16 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

The fact that I have to keep saying this proves my point about how blindly emotional people get when it comes to the topic of bots. Exactly the kind of bad I'm talking about.

Um, your response to my mention of a specific way in which it can be used "for good" suggests that, perhaps, you're more correct than you know?

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Assuming ..

• That LL will elect to do anything when an account is reported as a bot (it's not like we haven't been reporting them for years to no effect)
  • That we can ever know the conditions required to produce an actionable outcome.
  • That there even is an actionable outcome.
  • That Accounts will mixed uses or using the standard Linden client can ever be considered a bot.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 247 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.