International Women's Day in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Difficult though it is, I must ask people to concentrate on the forum topic, International Women's Day in SL, and try not to allow the thread to morph into a discussion of wider social issues.

If LL is being asked to support and sometimes does the wider social issues like Pride month or International Women's day, and those events are an accurate reflection of those real world events, how is it even reasonable to expect the topic to stay within the bounds of Secondlife only? The only solution is for LL to only offer and support what is SL only if they want residents to only deal with the issues within world.

• Like 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

If LL is being asked to support and sometimes does the wider social issues like Pride month or International Women's day, and those events are an accurate reflection of those real world events, how is it even reasonable to expect the topic to stay within the bounds of Secondlife only? The only solution is for LL to only offer and support what is SL only if they want residents to only deal with the issues within world.

I think it's absolutely reasonable that the focus can stay away from wider social issues and be on "Why is LL only pushing Pride Month and not any of the other available options?"

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

She's talking abut the Invisible Woman Syndrome, the kind of invisibility older women suffer from because they got old and gray and nobody cares to look at them twice anymore.

I'm in my 60s although I'm fortunate to only have so very few gray hairs no one notices yet and I am definitely not attractive. Now add being female and First Nations into that mix. She isn't nearly as bad off as she wants people to believe.

Like I said she doesn't know what being invisible TO SOCIETY*, not just the people around you, means.

*US society

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I think it's absolutely reasonable that the focus can stay away from wider social issues and be on "Why is LL only pushing Pride Month and not any of the other available options?"

Well in a roundabout way that was my point. They open a floodgate when they start officially supporting BLM, Pride Month etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

I hope we do not make it a habit of posts about, "We are celebrating XXX today in Second Life.  Did we celebrate YYY 6 months ago in Second Life, and will we celebrate YYY 6 months from now in Second Life?" 

It feels wrong somehow.  Perhaps the 6 month time difference.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I hope we do not make it a habit of posts about, "We are celebrating XXX today in Second Life.  Did we celebrate YYY 6 months ago in Second Life, and will we celebrate YYY 6 months from now in Second Life?" 

I hope we do. As a paying customer for 20 years, I would also like to have my interests supported the same way LL has supported Second Pride. And I bet a lot of other women with premium accounts would too. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

that's an interesting idea - the tableau recreating famous artworks - as an art history buff I'd go see it.

a little scared to ask what Victorian Boxing is... 

Boxing without gloves. Violence.

I'll never understand why people want to celebrate violence but apparently, they do.

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:
6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I hope we do. As a paying customer for 20 years, I would also like to have my interests supported the same way LL has supported Second Pride. And I bet a lot of other women with premium accounts would too. 

Understood. 

I think my point is:

- Assuming you can search the Forums and/or get an answer in this thread..

- And/or failing getting the answer you hoped for, that you can lobby Linden Lab when it gets closer to the date in question..

- As an observer, it seems that to bring up an event 6 months away is an intentional distraction from the current event. 

To be blunt, kind of like, "Why should we celebrate [oppressed people's day] in Second Life? What about [other oppressed people's day]?"  Those kinds of things come up most often, unfortunately, in "culture wars" where someone does not want to "celebrate" another group.  (In the "culture wars", the unfortunate hallmark of those discussions is that the "whatabout" statement is most often regarding a group that is NOT oppressed. I'm NOT saying that here!)

I certainly hope you see what I mean, and do not take it the wrong way.  I followed the discussion enough that I do not think it was your intent to say anything like "others are not important too". Some people MAY see it that way.

Did someone answer in your thread yet about "how to find the official Second Life Observation Calendar", so that you may find out ahead of time whether your specific observance is planned for the coming year?  If not, it would be interesting if we can get an official Linden Lab "Calendar of Planned Second Life Observances".

I tried mighty hard to be sensitive in my post above, and to keep it on topic - as not "observances in general", but "observances in Second Life".

Thank you for your Forum contributions!

7 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Fisticuffs? I absolutely abhor violence! If Second Life were primarily a "violent game", I would not be here.

And we would not be discussing "Official Linden Lab Second Life Celebrations" of specific days.

10 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Have you ever been on a 20 mile forced march with full gear? I have

No, of course not, why would anyone do that?? 🤢 Did you commit a crime? 

10 hours ago, belindacarson said:

you'd learn to do constructive things with your time.

Yes , like get a taxi to a nice restaurant and have a delicious cocktail instead of walking 20 miles with a heavy load 🙂

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

As an observer, it seems that to bring up an event 6 months away is an intentional distraction from the current event. 

I'm sorry you find my one thread in the forums re having similar coverage by LL for an event supporting women a distraction from the myriad of events, official blog posts, and coverage that Second Pride has received. It must be an incredible inconvenience to you to just skip over the forum thread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Ingrid Ingersoll said:
9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

As an observer, it seems that to bring up an event 6 months away is an intentional distraction from the current event. 

I'm sorry you find my one thread in the forums re having similar coverage by LL for an event supporting women a distraction from the myriad of events, official blog posts, and coverage that Second Pride has received. It must be an incredible inconvenience to you to just skip over the forum thread. 

Point taken.

Thanks again, and thank you if you tried to take my post in the spirit it was intended. 

• Moles
30 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It seems to me perfectly possible to distinguish between, on the one hand, posts discussing International Women's Day, or Pride, in SL and, on the other, posts discussing International Women's Day or Pride in general.      It seems to me similarly possible to distinguish between posts discussing International Women's Day in SL and feminism and women's rights in general.

Posts that fail to observe this distinction are likely to be removed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'll never understand why people want to celebrate violence but apparently, they do.

That’s a mighty leap.

I suggested it for SL, where no humans would be harmed unless feel you are harmed by watching or discussing such things in which case I’d also assume you had the foresight to abstain and absent yourself. In any event, the boxing is part of Women’s Lived History, so a case can also be made for not sugar-coating - if you avoid even non-destructive recreation/demonstration/discussion of anything unpleasant in a historical context, is it a valid context?
Is it harmful to depict this historical thing in a non-destructive virtual context? 

Of course think it was a dangerous thing in First Life, but like a lot of things that are, I think there’s also an attraction to doing them in virtual spaces for any number of reasons. I don’t race sky balloons and shoot people and skydive in First Life but I’ve ‘died’ doing all 3 in SL and I don’t think that necessarily makes me a ‘celebrator of violence’.

Edited by Fauve Aeon
Spelling

5 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

It seems to me perfectly possible to distinguish between, on the one hand, posts discussing International Women's Day, or Pride, in SL and, on the other, posts discussing International Women's Day or Pride in general.      It seems to me similarly possible to distinguish between posts discussing International Women's Day in SL and feminism and women's rights in general.

Posts that fail to observe this distinction are likely to be removed.

Hi Quartz, can you help answer for us (ok, "royal us") if there is a "forward-looking Second Life Calendar" for observation of special days in Second Life such as the "International Women's Day", which we could consult if needed?

Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

That’s a might leap.

I suggested it for SL, where no humans would be harmed unless feel you are harmed by watching or discussing such things in which case I’d also assume you had the foresight to abstain and absent yourself. In any event, the boxing is part of Women’s Lived History, so a case can also be made for not sugar-coating - if you avoid even non-destructive recreation/demonstration/discussion of anything unpleasant in a historical context, is it a valid context?
Is it harmful to depict this historical thing in a non-destructive virtual context? 

Of course think it was a dangerous thing in First Life, but like a lot of things that are, I think there’s also an attraction to doing them in virtual spaces for any number of reasons. I don’t race sky balloons and shoot people and skydive in First Life but I’ve ‘died’ doing all 3 in SL and I don’t think that necessarily makes me a ‘celebrator of violence’.

https://www.southcoasttoday.com/story/opinion/1998/03/27/we-celebrate-violence-so-why/50570596007/

@Silent Mistwalker I skimmed it but to be frank, quoting a 2-+ year old op-ed piece by an un-cited ‘staff writer’ isn’t (to my mind) a valuable or productive discussion reply. I also feel that in this case, no reply I could make will be very satisfactory to you so respectfully, I’ll shift my focus away. 

Now my musing is on what things are prompted and the mechanism. I get the feeling that it may honestly be that the things Residents work hard on creating and promoting inworld and in blended events may just come under Lab notice easier because they are Resident-supported and promoted well. 

@Love Zhaoying I don’t think it detracts or distracts when it’s actually being cited as the example of something, well-supported, well promoted and aspirational? But maybe that’s just me, feeling good & festive feels about both in my head during this kind of discussion? 💜.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I don’t think it detracts or distracts when it’s actually being cited as the example of something, well-supported, well promoted and aspirational?

Yeah the timing isn't a mystery. The coverage and support is visible on LL channels at the moment. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

@Silent Mistwalker I skimmed it but to be frank, quoting a 2-+ year old op-ed piece by an un-cited ‘staff writer’ isn’t (to my mind) a valuable or productive discussion reply. I also feel that in this case, no reply I could make will be very satisfactory to you so respectfully, I’ll shift my focus away. 

That's the problem. No one cares. You didn't even care enough to notice the article is 25 years old (1998) not just a couple of years old and if you had actually read it, you'd see how it is still applicable to today.

If people want to keep celebrating violence that's on them. I won't be participating.

5 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I can understand why you would jump to that conclusion, and I thank you for attempting to clarify for the person who indicated their confusion at my post. Certainly if that were the case it would reinforce the reason to be in favour for an International Women's Day in any life, and for all women to be reminded to support each other not kick each other when they are already down, which several of us appear to be very guilty of (yes, myself included). 

The nerve that Silent hit goes far beyond old and grey (I am not grey, I'm actually quite lucky with my hair colour, so that's a positive at any rate - but there I go apparently attempting to derail a thread!!). In the same way that Silent gave details to the indigenous people who are treated so shabbily, I really am in a parallel situation, but it's hidden, and again, it's too much real life, and I run the risk of being accused of derailing another thread.

Thank you again for attempting to clarify, but this is not the invisibility I personally suffer with.

Any types of invisibility suck all the same and I empathize and commiserate with you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

t just isn't my idea of a fun event. Educational event, sure. 

I can completely understand why you feel this way. Many of the things for which women are most responsible are not necessarily fun things-not in the way most seem to define fun-even if they are amazingly interesting and even surprising-absolutely achievements worth celebrating. At least they don't necessarily seem like things one can make fun-because let's face it people want to have fun at events. 

So the problem is then how do we take all of those things-things women have brought to this grand planet-and make them more fun for others to explore learn or whatever else. That's where typical activities that would be fun at any kind of event come into play. You can make things both informative and fun at the same time. Carnivals where displays are out but there is also rides food entertainment and such work nicely for this sort of thing. Women in sports-globally-would be an easy one to create an event around. Women in science and technology-a tech fair where female creators in sl show off their cool creations (not to sell!!!!) and what they can do with them-and also displays about rl women and their achievements. I hope that's clear. 

A general celebration that lasts more than just a single day would be even more awesome. There could be all sorts of displays and things for people to do-not just learn about on each day of the event. Women in (insert whatever like sports technology product development art music etc.) could be used as a theme for each day. If it's a one day event then displays with activities that fall under that kind of idea. It would be cool to get a bit away from all of the women's events that cater to shopping, art, music-not that they are bad but because they are most often the focus and we need more meat on that bone. I'd like to see more focus on other areas like sports, technology, development, science and other concentrations. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 351 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.