International Women's Day in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

Women are fun. International Women's day.. meh

such as? Sell me the fun factor, I'm willing to be convinced 😃 

Music, focusing on work by women musicians? Dance? Art by women? Fashion by women designers? Games?

I can't think of many "fun" activities in SL, outside of Adult ones, that wouldn't be appropriate, given the right spin?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Music, focusing on work by women musicians? Dance? Art by women? Fashion by women designers? Games?

I can't think of many "fun" activities in SL, outside of Adult ones, that wouldn't be appropriate, given the right spin?

Hmm.. Take the example I gave of the Southeast Asian cultural fest (again not sure what it was offically called). Fun part was reading the histories, comparing food recipies and seeing the SL rendition of it, looking at the different architecture, shopping for traditional inspired clothing, etc. It was fun and engaging.

Women do everything under the sun, so it's hard to make a thematic event celebrating "women" en masse. International Women's day does focus on serious issues and it's important, but it just isn't the same as what I described above. 

If it was something like women fashion designers through the ages and influence on SL, I'd be all in, but that's rather more specific. Maybe broken down into mini themes might work, but interest will be niche and more about the topic than women. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Akane Nacht said:

Hmm.. Take the example I gave of the Southeast Asian cultural fest (again not sure what it was offically called). Fun part was reading the histories, comparing food recipies and seeing the SL rendition of it, looking at the different architecture, shopping for traditional inspired clothing, etc. It was fun and engaging.

Women do everything under the sun, so it's hard to make a thematic event celebrating "women" en masse. International Women's day does focus on serious issues and it's important, but it just isn't the same as what I described above. 

If it was something like women fashion designers through the ages and influence on SL, I'd be all in, but that's rather more specific. Maybe broken down into mini themes might work, but interest will be niche and more about the topic than women. 

Some of the cultural festivals are truly amazing. Whenever I notice one near me in RL I try to get to them.  It's like a trip through time with some of them.

• Like 4

I think it would be a fun activity to have a series of tableau vivant scenes/backdrops of art by and of women _ and have SL women recreate their role in them as they see fit, 3 graces in a punk rock band, Mona Lisa with a Mohawk, birth of Venus covered in spicy tattoos, …or maybe recreating them as-is if that also resonates…or expressing different emotions, etc. 

I also think women’s Victorian Boxing would be fun. To do and to watch.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

I am pretty sure Southeast Asians do "everything under the sun" as well, but the festival of which you speak obviously chose particular themes upon which to focus. I don't see why an event celebrating women should be any different: it would be impossible to cover all facets of womenhood and femininity.

To reiterate: women make music. They make art. They design clothing. They engage in performance. All of these things they do in both RL and SL. I really don't see why representing women's achievements in these fields (and others, such as science, exploration, engineering and architecture) wouldn't be feasible AND entertaining.

Possibly you think that these achievements are less "distinctive" than the differences between, say, Western and Southeast Asian culture? Speaking as a teacher of women's literature, and someone who is reasonably well versed in things like women artists, musicians, etc., I'd have to disagree.

But it may also just be that none of these things are your idea of fun, which is of course fine.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am pretty sure Southeast Asians do "everything under the sun" as well, but the festival of which you speak obviously chose particular themes upon which to focus. I don't see why an event celebrating women should be any different: it would be impossible to cover all facets of womenhood and femininity.

To reiterate: women make music. They make art. They design clothing. They engage in performance. All of these things they do in both RL and SL. I really don't see why representing women's achievements in these fields (and others, such as science, exploration, engineering and architecture) wouldn't be feasible AND entertaining.

Possibly you think that these achievements are less "distinctive" than the differences between, say, Western and Southeast Asian culture? Speaking as a teacher of women's literature, and someone who is reasonably well versed in things like women artists, musicians, etc., I'd have to disagree.

But it may also just be that none of these things are your idea of fun, which is of course fine.

Yeah.. I think you're not quite getting my point. 

I'll try to rephrase. How is a woman engineer being a woman engineer doing engineer things entertaining? Is it an achievement? Probably, it's a male dominated field and if she's good at it, good for her.  But if I'm not an engineer engaged in the same field as that woman engineer I would be.. meh. Especially in a place like SL where I come to have fun and be entertained.

Whereas, we are all (to some degree) interested in food, fashion, architecture, history, cross cultural sharing. It's fun and we learn new things. Like a virtual vacation without the travel.

I also think it might be fun to have a big outdoor music and dance event called the Body Ball. Wearing just enough to cover bits and nips, but nothing else to start - we play paintball and don everything from glowing glyph symbols to full body tattoos and spinning rings and other rave gear in celebration of the uniqueness we can express with our bodies in the ways we choose to look in SL as we dance and play with big physical beach balls in the crowd and do particle stuffs and fireworks. Edit for epic conga lines.

Edited by Fauve Aeon

56 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I think it would be a fun activity to have a series of tableau vivant scenes/backdrops of art by and of women _ and have SL women recreate their role in them as they see fit, 3 graces in a punk rock band, Mona Lisa with a Mohawk, birth of Venus covered in spicy tattoos, …or maybe recreating them as-is if that also resonates…or expressing different emotions, etc. 

I also think women’s Victorian Boxing would be fun. To do and to watch.

that's an interesting idea - the tableau recreating famous artworks - as an art history buff I'd go see it.

a little scared to ask what Victorian Boxing is... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

a little scared to ask what Victorian Boxing is... 

😈

that’s why it’s interesting…

tableaux vivant in SL is fun, I’ve been to several places and events that have featured it, it gets people participating, talking and the photos are fun to post afterwards. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

Yeah.. I think you're not quite getting my point. 

Yes, I'm afraid I really am not.

You seem to think that the point of this would be to showcase everything that women have achieved? Including especially the dullest things we can imagine reproducing in SL?

I think Fauve's suggestion of tableau is brilliant, and more or less in line with the sort of thing I'm thinking of. Now, what if women also had the opportunity to "put themselves" in paintings that focused upon men? That would be kind of interestingly subversive in a different way.

I rather like the idea of Fauve heroically riding her rearing horse across the Alps, while the armies of the Italian city states scatter before La Grande Armée.

Anyway, we'll leave it, but I'm pretty confident that a bit of time and imagination could produce no shortage of really fun and cool things to do around IWD.

• Like 2

I looked in here earlier but it was too much of a dumpster fire for me then.

I think that some acknowledgement and celebration of International Women's Day by LL would have been a splendid thing.  It wouldn't have had to be grand, maybe even something as minimal as an announcement on the blog and a video showcase of some notable achievements would have been enough for me to feel it was heart-felt and genuine.

It doesn't surprise me that they didn't though.  It does disappoint though.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Akane Nacht said:

How is a woman engineer being a woman engineer doing engineer things entertaining? Is it an achievement? Probably, it's a male dominated field and if she's good at it, good for her.  But if I'm not an engineer engaged in the same field as that woman engineer I would be.. meh.

Thanks to woman engineer who was also Hollywood actress we have wifi now. Or the woman who developed the software to land people on the Moon. There are many more if you are interested in searching and their achievements and contribution to society throughout history can be entertaining.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, I'm afraid I really am not.

On that, we can agree.

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You seem to think that the point of this would be to showcase everything that women have achieved? Including especially the dullest things we can imagine reproducing in SL?

Engineering isn't dull, it's niche, and very unlike the examples I gave (twice).

7 minutes ago, Aiyumei said:

Thanks to woman engineer who was also Hollywood actress we have wifi now. Or the woman who developed the software to land people on the Moon. There are many more if you are interested in searching and their achievements and contribution to society throughout history can be entertaining.

I think there's some confusion here that I am trying to discount women's achievements or that I do not know about them. I fully support International Women's day. It just isn't my idea of a fun event. Educational event, sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

Whereas, we are all (to some degree) interested in food, fashion, architecture, history, cross cultural sharing. It's fun and we learn new things. Like a virtual vacation without the travel.

This ^

1 hour ago, Akane Nacht said:

I think there's some confusion here that I am trying to discount women's achievements or that I do not know about them. I fully support International Women's day. It just isn't my idea of a fun event. Educational event, sure. 

I don't mean to be offensive or anything, but how is food, fashion and fun activities are suppose to show support to us and all the women who have worked hard to make a change and break the stereotypes, bias and discrimination. In recent years the purpose of this day has been exactly that, to gain attention and visibility of all we had to go though to forge our equality in society.

The last thing I'd like as someone who works her bum off in my line of work would be to be shown appreciation with snacks.

1 hour ago, Aiyumei said:

I don't mean to be offensive or anything, but how is food, fashion and fun activities are suppose to show support to us and all the women who have worked hard to make a change and break the stereotypes, bias and discrimination. In recent years the purpose of this day has been exactly that, to gain attention and visibility of all we had to go though to forge our equality in society.

That's what I was getting at in my first post. Important though the day and the cause is, it doesn't have much fun factor. Maybe I'm peculiar, but I come to SL primarily for entertainment. 

1 minute ago, Akane Nacht said:

That's what I was getting at in my first post. Important though the day and the cause is, it doesn't have much fun factor. Maybe I'm peculiar, but I come to SL primarily for entertainment. 

We get it. Not your bag and no skin in the game. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be of interest to a lot of other people. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

She's talking abut the Invisible Woman Syndrome, the kind of invisibility older women suffer from because they got old and gray and nobody cares to look at them twice anymore.

I can understand why you would jump to that conclusion, and I thank you for attempting to clarify for the person who indicated their confusion at my post. Certainly if that were the case it would reinforce the reason to be in favour for an International Women's Day in any life, and for all women to be reminded to support each other not kick each other when they are already down, which several of us appear to be very guilty of (yes, myself included). 

The nerve that Silent hit goes far beyond old and grey (I am not grey, I'm actually quite lucky with my hair colour, so that's a positive at any rate - but there I go apparently attempting to derail a thread!!). In the same way that Silent gave details to the indigenous people who are treated so shabbily, I really am in a parallel situation, but it's hidden, and again, it's too much real life, and I run the risk of being accused of derailing another thread.

Thank you again for attempting to clarify, but this is not the invisibility I personally suffer with.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 2

• Moles

Difficult though it is, I must ask people to concentrate on the forum topic, International Women's Day in SL, and try not to allow the thread to morph into a discussion of wider social issues.

No Discussions Not Directly Related to Second Life: Please keep all threads relevant and directly related to Second Life and Linden Lab. Anything unrelated to Second Life is subject to moderation. This includes, but is not limited to, politics, social issues, current events, and Non-SL discussion posts (Examples such as tell me a joke, make me laugh, etc). If the thread could exist on a non-Second Life Forum, that is probably a good sign it doesn’t belong here.

Linden Lab Official:Forum Participation Guidelines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

We get it. Not your bag and no skin in the game. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be of interest to a lot of other people. 

Like I said in my first post, I have no objection to it 🤷‍♀️

3 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

Like I said in my first post, I have no objection to it 🤷‍♀️

I don't think anyone is here to convince you to be interested in supporting an event in support of  women. I know people who didn't go to any of the Second Pride events because they're either not interested or don't consider any of it fun either. But you're not questioning the inherent fun of it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 367 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.