Is this new round of mentors a good idea?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

It would.   

I'm familiar with Firestorm, though for preference I use Catznip or the Official Viewer, depending on what I'm doing.   

Firestorm's UI and menu layouts are sufficiently different from the other two that, if anyone asks me how to do something in Firestorm I always have to log in an alt with that viewer just to check that I'm telling them to look in the right place, and for the correct name, for whatever menu and option they need.

I have to say I'm a bit puzzled that you're so allergic to the Official Viewer that the requirement to use if while mentoring is a deal-breaker, particularly since, as you put it,  "it's not as if Firestorm is different enough from the official viewer that it would affect mentoring."

They're not asking Mentors to use the Official Viewer all the time, after all, just while they're mentoring.

I wouldn't say I'm allergic but equally... installing and configuring another viewer for precious little benefit is just a step too far. So maybe I am 'allergic'.

When it comes to explaining concepts that noobies need explained I don't see there being enough difference between official and firestorm though.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

That's the biggest issue, nowadays. A lot of modern keyboards no longer have Page Up keys anymore. This makes it particularly hard to both fly forward and upward at the same time in SL. Not to mention flying forward and downward at the same time. You'd have to hold at least four keys at opposite ends on your keyboard for that.

I don't envy the new round of mentors.

Yeah, I just got my first laptop in years that actually has a page up key... quite strange, its inclusion really stood out.

I admit that I've fallen right back into using it too! when that function is relegated to an Fn key though... not so much, SL's use of the key was always quite awkward.

I also don't get the angst about LL's stipulation that their viewer be used.  For me, that's an OF COURSE.  Everyone in help areas should be using the same viewer & skin, and LL's is the obvious choice.  It's not THAT bad; last time I tried it, my fps numbers were pretty good.

I don't think there should be a requirement to use voice, altho personally I would have voice on, if permitted.

Back when I was spending a lot of time as a helper, I had a folder of notecards and nicer freebies that I would give out.  If I were to be a mentor now, that folder would contain a few gadgets as well, if LL isn't already supplying equivalents.

• Gadget: A poor man's "Area Search", which I could write fairly easily.
  • Gadget: Decent freebie AO, male & female
  • Gadget: What is s/he wearing?
  • Gadget: Time of day, in SL's 6-hour cycle.
  • Gadget: Find rez zones in this region.
  • Notecard: "How to shop on the marketplace"
  • Notecard: "How to find a store you want to go to"

I might also be tempted to take a particularly nice newbie to one of my Linden Homes, if we were going to get into an extended discussion.  Have some lemonade in my houseboat or stilt, before returning to the welcome area.

(Really, having a fully furnished home or two as part of the welcome area would be nice.)

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Do they have to be called "Mentors" though?  Sounds too much like "Mental".

Instead, how about:

Advisor, Guide, Counsellor, Consultant, Therapist, Master, Mistress, Guru, Sensei, Teacher, Tutor, Professor...

I will accept Mother .. but only if we all get matching latex outfits.

• Haha 11
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

What does it have to do with the topic again?

What does questioning a post have to do with the topic?

See, to stay on topic here, if I was a mentor i would advise you to report the post for being off topic rather than asking why post about something off topic. As asking about why something was off topic would be off  topic and following the guidelines you should just report the post.

Helpers gonna help.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

See, to stay on topic here, if I was a mentor i would advise you to report the post for being off topic rather than asking why post about something off topic. As asking about why something was off topic would be off  topic and following the guidelines you should just report the post.

Helpers gonna help.

How much typing should a topic typist type, if a topic typist typed topic type?!

😜

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Instead, how about:

Advisor, Guide, Counsellor, Consultant, Therapist, Master, Mistress, Guru, Sensei, Teacher, Tutor, Professor, Doctor...

Help! I'm under attach by a..by a..darn it, I need one of those books about related words.

A wordasaurus!

One of my amateur radio friends was saying he was a mentor in the SL's early days and enjoyed it.  They was in the wild west days of the web.  She's aware they're returning it --- but had concerns that the program might run afoul of legal stuff nowadays since the IRS and CRA (Canadian Revenue Agency) now have rules affecting online stuff. She's checking with an attorney friend on this.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

A mentors job is partially to inspire and show off the platforms potential, not prime them for mediocrity and misery.

Some people PREFER "Demotivation".  It's healthier, sets you up for realistic expectations.

ddg.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Helpers gonna help.

Mentors in part help by setting an example in any area of SecondLife. Hence the requirement to use the SL viewer. Should that example also not be set in the Forums where the rest of us are required to stay on topic rather than having to put up with certain parties habitually going into long winded diversions?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Instead, how about:

Advisor, Guide, Counsellor, Consultant, Therapist, Master, Mistress, Guru, Sensei, Teacher, Tutor, Professor, Doctor...

I like Therapist.  After being in SL, sometimes one needs a therapist. :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Instead, how about:

Would Goddess be too pretentious?

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Assumption: The Mentor program would focus on Second Life, including the Official viewer, NOT TPV's.

So from this point of view, it makes sense that a lot would of potential mentors would need to learn about the Official viewer.

Maybe but where would be able to do that as the LL has no place where one can actually do so other than by trial and error. It would in many cases result in the blind leading the blind.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.