Changing name in SL and it's consequences...

Elinly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

I have a doubt and I hope that someone can help me with that since I could find nothing about it.

I know that you can change your name with a fee but I do not know what effects it has in the end.

*-Will I loose my friends and will they be able to contact me and see me as before? I do not want to loose that.

Thank you all,

1 hour ago, Elinly said:

Hello everyone,

I have a doubt and I hope that someone can help me with that since I could find nothing about it.

I know that you can change your name with a fee but I do not know what effects it has in the end.

*-Will I loose my friends and will they be able to contact me and see me as before? I do not want to loose that.

Thank you all,

You should have some answers here :

https://lindenlab.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/31000155068-changing-your-username-faq

I change my name (and my wife changed hers) a few months back... there were no problems with friends lists, group memberships, store redelivery systems or anything else like that. Not so far anyway. Everything worked as before, just showing our new names instead.

The only minor issue we had was having to request access to the beta grid* again for the new accounts. If you don't use the beta grid, that doesn't matter to you anyway. (It's another 'world' where we can log in for testing things we build, stuff like that, but we have to ask for access to it.)

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rick Nightingale said:

I change my name (and my wife changed hers) a few months back... there were no problems with friends lists, group memberships, store redelivery systems or anything else like that. Not so far anyway. Everything worked as before, just showing our new names instead.

The only minor issue we had was having to request access to the beta grid* again for the new accounts. If you don't use the beta grid, that doesn't matter to you anyway. (It's another 'world' where we can log in for testing things we build, stuff like that, but we have to ask for access to it.)

Just imagine, de Debil changes their name, so they have to go around asking people:

Pleased to meet you
      Hope you guessed my name

and:

Tell me baby, what's my name?
      Tell me honey, can ya guess my name?

Would people be sympathetic?

That would make for an interesting song. 

BONUS: They would have to go around saying, "Please allow me to introduce myself", since probably nobody would recognize them with a new name.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 3

Thank you so much Rick for your answer and everyone else too. Your answer clarified everthing so well! I had read before the  FAQs (TY Laurent) is more technical but with less practical data so I had many doubts.  

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Rick Nightingale said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recently changed my username and the only issue I had was that my contact sets disappeared. I.e. My friends/friends lists were all intact including conversation history. Just the contact sets reset. They are something I have never tried to back up. i'm not even sure if you can. But I failed to and lost mine. Other than that the username change has been super smooth.

I did reach out to quite a few of my friends though, just to reasure them that I am still me 🙂 Some had figured. Others hadn't noticed :D 

On 6/1/2023 at 9:41 AM, Elinly said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you all,

No, you won't lose your friends list or anything else. Everything will stay the same (though it can take a couple of hours for everything to get updated; for example items you own that are rezzed in-world might show your old name for a while before it switches over.

However, your friends won't be notified that you have changed your name and they may not recognise you, so best you tell them who you are incase they get confused and un-friend you.

1 hour ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Honest question, if a merchant pays to change their name, what happens to the items people have bought? Does it change there as well? 

Nothing  really happens. The name of a creator under the edit/inspect tabs (whenever someone edits/inspects an item) does change like everywhere else, but that's about it. There's a number of creators who change their names a lot. And I mean a lot, like every other month. I think if brand's/store's name stays the same most of their customers don't even notice it until/if they need to message them about something.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 1

Yeah... name changes can leave one wondering...

I use the NOTES in the Profile to keep track of people. I typically add a date, where we were, their time zone, and something about what was going on. In some cases it's a warning... this guy is a macho jerk, and other times to categorize... met as a furry...

Later if they change their name I still have a good idea of who they are and why they are a friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Yeah... name changes can leave one wondering...

I use the NOTES in the Profile to keep track of people. I typically add a date, where we were, their time zone, and something about what was going on. In some cases it's a warning... this guy is a macho jerk, and other times to categorize... met as a furry...

Later if they change their name I still have a good idea of who they are and why they are a friend.

I am both a profile reader and a note taker. I use that tab to note as much as I can about a person, including all the details you mentioned. I have notes about myself, for Bastet's sake.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 3:16 PM, Katherine Heartsong said:

I am both a profile reader and a note taker. I use that tab to note as much as I can about a person, including all the details you mentioned. I have notes about myself, for Bastet's sake.

*Makes a note: Katherine makes notes about herself and likes Bastet*

<-<

>->

Yeah, I take notes too. Often they are only one word long, but they all serve their purposes. As for changing your name, I agree with the above poster. Do it and don't worry about it. If I could get at my Tilia account (no bank card at the moment), I'd do it right now.

Just to see the look on my friend's faces when they see me with the name Gordon Shumway.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my named from epiclolz to Missy Starchild about two (??) months ago, and I have seen exactly zero differences in my usual activities in Second Life. The only thing that would've been affected would be my friends list, but seeing as I rarely keep any true "friends" in this game beyond my irl sister, I don't think they'll care too much ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.