Copycat...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm working on a new set of boots that, when they go to look at where to get them, it'll be from me..

It's two separate boots.. One is called Ceka's Fancy ass left boot and the other is Ceka's Fancy ass right boot..

I just want to see if anyone does IM me  about them.. hehehehe

Like a siietific Sperramint😁

I thought you wrote "boo.." you know.

• Haha 1

I'm a bit late to this topic but I guess it would matter if the copycat was stalking you as well. If someone copies your look, there's not a huge deal. People can tell who's who by looking at your name. But if this person is following you and hanging all over (unwantedly), then you need to tell them to get lost. 

That's my two cents

• Like 1

I've remembered... there was some drama between two DJs about copying setlists :o One DJ was playing obscure songs, and the other (who was usually in the first DJ's audience) would suddenly play most of the same songs a few nights later...it became quite heated! :/ I can't remember how it was resolved, but I think the first DJ was going to give the files wrong titles so the Nicecast displayed completely different songs...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Post my picture on r/whoosh because I totally don't get what the issue is here. Why does it matter if someone is trying to look like you? OP, if this really is an issue for you then i strongly suggest rethinking your priorities.

I'm not the original poster, but I can see it being an issue because some of us put a lot of creative energy into how our avatars look, and they are an expression of ourselves. I would be annoyed by this. It reminds me a little of something that happened many years ago in real life, when someone in my friend group transitioned from male to female, and took the same first name as me, and started dressing just like I did. All my friends said I should feel flattered, but I didn't. It's really not nice to have someone copy you all the time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Post my picture on r/whoosh because I totally don't get what the issue is here. Why does it matter if someone is trying to look like you? OP, if this really is an issue for you then i strongly suggest rethinking your priorities.

First, I gotta agree with how @Stephanie Misfitexplained it above.

Making an avatar is work and I know I demo/demo/demo a lot until I find something great.  It takes time with search/search/search to put something unique together, along with demo/demo/demo/demo/demo..............  Then, someone comes along and copies it because their reasoning is that everyone loves you.  

It's just too close for comfort.  I'd find it uncomfortable.  Once or twice is okay, but constantly, I'd need space from that and mute.  

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Imitation = flattery, dontcha know.  You betcha!

I like this part:

Negative Copying And Why It Happens

Unfortunately, copying can also be a very negative trait. Why imitation in balance is a form of flattery, and mirroring can be a sign of interest, engagement, or even a desire to connect with you, many people take it too far and become complete copycats. These negative forms of copying include:

Studying you in order to take note of all your mannerisms

Copying your accent or vocabulary

Adopting the same thoughtless habits, like how you tap your feet, play with your hair, or fiddle with your pen

Flirting with your romantic partners

Mimicking your sense of style

Getting the same haircut as you

Buying the same products as you

Trying to break into your friend group or befriend your friends

Claiming credit for or stealing your ideas

Not only is this type of copying very creepy, but it’s also usually insulting and can rob you of any feeling of individuality that you have. It can get in the way of your daily life and it can cause a lot of unnecessary conflict. But why would someone want to do something like this? According to psychology, there are a few reasons.

• Like 1

I would imagine that a lot of people could have the same outfits at the same time since new releases are released to everyone on the same day.  When a new hairstyle comes out that I like I will wear it the same day I buy it. Does the fact that 2000 other people are wearing it too bother me? No.

I will also look at Flickr and copy the outfits down to the shoes and jewelry.  

This is the drama that needs to stop in SL. If you are that insecure about her copying you, then block and derender her. If you see her daily and have talked to her and asked her to stop and she won't then just ignore it.

If you find it "creepy" then why hang out with her in the first place. People create their own problems in their head.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 11:39 AM, CaithLynnSayes said:

The main issue was they were trying to BE me. I don't mind giving item names and landmarks or even taking someone to the same store I got my outfits. What was weird to me was the sudden change from outfits, skin, hair, behavior etc 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 2:40 PM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I would imagine that a lot of people could have the same outfits at the same time since new releases are released to everyone on the same day.  When a new hairstyle comes out that I like I will wear it the same day I buy it. Does the fact that 2000 other people are wearing it too bother me? No.

Doesn't bother me either. It's my line of work lol

I will also look at Flickr and copy the outfits down to the shoes and jewelry.  

This is the drama that needs to stop in SL. If you are that insecure about her copying you, then block and derender her. If you see her daily and have talked to her and asked her to stop and she won't then just ignore it.

Actually, they stated being insecure themselves and wanting to be like me because "everyone loves" me

If you find it "creepy" then why hang out with her in the first place. People create their own problems in their head.

I've actually distanced myself from this person

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 577 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.