Is SL finished for win7 users ?

cunomar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For real? Windows 7 and people moan?

To be fair LL always made sure SL is accessible for older potato's too but really someone complaining they can't anymore with windows 7 in 2023? C'mon non of the games I play outside of SL or even Software I need for work (Security protocols and all that jazz) would run on a PC with windows that old. It's not LL leaving some users behind, I hate to say it but get a new PC then, even a really cheap newer one would be better then. But if you only need your PC for SL and nothing else? Well skip it, maybe find a new hobby? and live with it but don't blame LL or the Firestorm team XD 

Other games or even phone apps aren't supporting older software/hardware as long as SL does. That's just how it's going sadly.

Btw Windows 11 runs awesomely smooth on my machine and I never had problems, my friend who updated an older PC to it has some problems, it's not only the software to blame it's also the hardware ;)

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Why are all automobiles made before 2010 still allowed on the road?  Shouldn't the auto companies install self destruct timers in those obsolete cars so they cannot start up ever again, and the government arrest anyone still owning one of those old potato cars?  How else are they going to sell you a new car?

Ask Jay Leno... 

Planned obsolescence to support new projects for software programmers has been the dirty norm for the last 40 years in the computer industry.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Why are all automobiles made before 2010 still allowed on the road?  Shouldn't the auto companies install self destruct timers in those obsolete cars so they cannot start up ever again, and the government arrest anyone still owning one of those old potato cars?  How else are they going to sell you a new car?

Ask Jay Leno... 

Planned obsolescence to support new projects for software programmers has been the dirty norm for the last 40 years in the computer industry.

Planned mandatory obsolescence in the auto industry would actually be a good thing from an environmental and safety perspective.

Building things to last forever is a trap. The thing ends up very expensive, over engineered to hell and back, and just as obsolete just as fast .. only now it's harder to unpick and recycle.

If and when humans complete the tech tree and there are no more new things, then we can worry about engineering everything from indestructible forever Lego.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

You know car makers aren’t required to make parts available forever, right? You can run Windows 7 or 2000 or 3.11 as long as you want, but no one is obligated to make sure their stuff works with your computer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Ask Jay Leno... 

I own a pick-up from the early 80s and still works like a charm --- and you can still fix it since it has no bleeping computer in it.

New cars I won't touch with a 40 metre pole. They spy on you. And you can't log in to SL on their infotainment screen either! :D

• Like 2

Producing 1000 new cars per minute has to be better for the planet that producing 50 per minute they would have us believe and be kind to animals by eating veg instead so we can kill them all .

It has absolutely nothing to do with costs and profit said the unicorn to the dodo .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Getting super off topic but...

The "mid sized" EV charge station I'm currently getting installed will use more electricity than our entire commercial/industrial block and the surrounding residential area. Most of our power comes from natural gas or coal, especially at the hours when its going to be used the most. The possibly sad part is that this station is barely going to put a dent in the EV charge infra that's going to be needed.

On the scale of "caring about the environment", it probably would go something like this for socal: pedestrian power, e-bike or similar, bus on a busy route, carpool, ev charged only on home solar, LNG, CNG, fuelcell, hybrid, ev charged from grid, literally anything else, bus on a low volume route (eg. most buses on the majority of routes).

Steering the convo slighty back on topic again with version 7 stuff...

My trusty old Samsung Galaxy S7 (7 years old - uncanny!) drew its last breath this morning.

I just ordered another, with a 3-year warranty, refurbished, again a Samsung Galaxy S7

I guess that I too have reached an age at which I have gotten rusty and kling on to older tech.

giphy.webp

Now get off my lawn with your fancy 6.5+ inch smartphones, you college kids!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/12/2023 at 8:10 AM, cunomar said:

Producing 1000 new cars per minute has to be better for the planet that producing 50 per minute they would have us believe and be kind to animals by eating veg instead so we can kill them all .

It has absolutely nothing to do with costs and profit said the unicorn to the dodo .

I heard, that most statistics are made up. I read it on the internet, of course. You had me going until you said "unicorn". Now, "bunnicorn" on the other hand..

Fun Fact: Windows 7 is probably better for the environment, since older the PC and its graphics card will use less power. That leaves more power for the Second Life, I mean, Amazon servers.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.