7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I too believe that humans are "naturally" good -- in the sense that hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of years of cultural evolution have demonstrated that we recognize the value of community and connection. We have evidence that Neanderthals cared for the aged and the sick, something that in purely evolutionary terms makes no sense whatsoever. And, we have developed the ideas of "right and wrong," of ethics and morality, however we may sometimes distort these.

At the same time, of course we are all "mixed." Some of what is "bad" or "immoral" about us as individuals is undoubtedly hard-wired, but a great deal derives from social conditioning, our upbringing and experiences, etc.

I know that I have racist or homophobic impulses. Hell, I know that I am sexist and misogynist. Most of us, I suspect, are at some level or another: it would be almost impossible not to harbour such notions given the world in which we live.

True "goodness" or "morality," I think, consists not of eradicating these tendencies, which is likely impossible (and maybe even undesirable), but rather in recognizing and acknowledging their existence, and working hard not to give them voice or allow them to dictate how we think or what we do. Which is where critical thinking and critical self-awareness come into play.

I don't think "goodness" is a static quality. It comes into being when we actively struggle to be good, in spite of our own demons.

Most of what you've mentioned here is what meditation teaches/enhances.

Pet Peeve: I need to get back to my online meditation courses. Chanting helps, but meditation is also needed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Like that one time Ra, the God of the Gods, got old and senile, and his human subjects kind of felt like he maybe didn't deserve his worship, especially when he forgets to do his main thing of putting the sun in the skies so a lot of them died. So he decided humanity was being ungrateful, tore out his eye and unleashed Sekhmet to slaughter them dead, then saw Egypt run red and changed his mind, subdued the lioness by spiking her drink, split her divine essence to create Bast (or Hathor, depending on who you ask) and a more mellow Sekhmet, and retired. Wait, was he good or evil? 

I guess the answer of him being good or evil would depend on if you lived in Egypt or not at the time.. hehehehe

Someone on the other side of the world would have probably said, who the heck is that? :D

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I guess the answer of him being good or evil would depend on if you lived in Egypt or not at the time.. hehehehe

Someone on the other side of the world would have probably said, who the heck is that? :D

But did he like pineapple on his pizza? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

Like that one time Ra, the God of the Gods, got old and senile, and his human subjects kind of felt like he maybe didn't deserve his worship, especially when he forgets to do his main thing of putting the sun in the skies so a lot of them died. 

Well...if you ordered a pizza and the driver never turned up, you'd probably never order from them again? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

So he decided humanity was being ungrateful, tore out his eye and unleashed Sekhmet to slaughter them dead, then saw Egypt run red and changed his mind, subdued the lioness by spiking her drink, split her divine essence to create Bast (or Hathor, depending on who you ask) and a more mellow Sekhmet, and retired. Wait, was he good or evil? 

Sounds like a bit of a diva 👎

*Ra DOESN'T do stairs* 

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Peeve: Orwar ignored my joke again.

Pfft! I can't leave a 'like' on a gif of a bunch of Scottish backsides! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Peeve: Links on these forums that attempt to take me to someone's personal blog. Not going to happen. I'm here to be here, not to be wasting time on your monetised vanity project.

Peeve 2: flu (real life) My "nice" neighbour took me in for a cuppa and I learned he was getting over the flu, and now I have it! TYVM

Trouble is now I am unable to look after my brother, and he is due back home from hospital any second now. (It might be an ill wind.)

Things happen for a reason.

• Sad 8

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm sorry. I keep forgetting you aren't supposed to laugh. 🤭

Huffs

I also feel compelled to remind you that I do bite. It'll be very awkward, I imagine, trying to explain to the doctor how you ended up with a vampire bite on the bum! 

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Rude, crude and lewd, just the way you like it. 🤭

Well, when you put it like that .. Absolutely, lol.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

He's not particularly tall, have you tried putting him in a pocket?

Tip-toes and huffs himself up. Lies and slander, I say! 

• Haha 2