20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Maybe it's a regional thing?  I don't think I've ever heard it used in Ohio unless the person using it had an English accent.

Interesting.  I grew up in Kansas City, MO and worked at an amusement park in my late teenage years (so, late 70s) .  We always used the term in reference to the ride lines.  And I definitely remember hearing the term in movie theaters to reference the lines there.

I've heard the term here in Denver when referencing the ride lines at amusement parks.  I've heard the term at a few airports around the US.  I never realized the usage my be a regional thing though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, in French a good example of that is the phrase "comme çi comme ça," meaning "like this, like that," and supposedly used in response to "comment ça va?" ("How's it going?"). Or so we were all taught in high school. It was only later I learned that almost NO adults in France use it, and they tend to think of it as either "tourist French" or the sort of thing children say. GRRRR! It's like I was sabotaged by my high school teachers!

Exactly my feeling. Sabotage! GRRRR! French is fascinating to me and I love how it sounds (especially from male speakers, woo), but I wouldn't trust anyone to teach it to me but a native speaker. Much like Spanish. Much like German. And everything else.

If I don't hear an accent, don't teach me NUFFIN!!! 😄 I've learned my lesson!

49 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am really NOT good at foreign languages. The only non-English language I ever did well in in high school and university was Latin; I used to get like a B at best in French all the time, but I could almost always manage As in Latin. And there were two reasons for that: first, Latin is extremely logical and has relatively few idiomatic expressions or weird exceptions to "the rules," and second, because i didn't have to speak or listen to it! It was pure written translation!

Ooo Latin. I never had an opportunity to learn that, unfortunately. I'm actually pretty decent with languages and those classes were some of my easiest As, but the grammar lessons really do me in. German was going swimmingly for me until the dreaded grammar hit. My goodness. 😩

That reminds me - I haven't opened Duolingo in years. I was using it to continue my German lessons. WAS. Oops. Peeve? 👀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Dang it, you made me go back to my watch history and sift through all the schnitzel videos again (never watch only one recipe, watch at least 10 before you decide what approach to try!). Don't remember which one they try to say 'Schweizerschnitzel' in, but here's one that almost immediately says 'snitsel'. 

As for my summary from today's schnitzel research, I'm thinking either veal or beef (depends on what I can find when I go shopping), and a finer breadcrumb for the coating (I'm not a huge fan of panko crusts, too 'shard-y'), and that it'll have to be cooked in clarified butter. I'm still torn on the side dish though, either a traditional warm potato salad ooor .. What we call 'raw-cooked potatoes' (i.e. potatoes that are fried without being parboiled). And obviously capers and lemon. 

And yes, that does sound as if it may be a touch dry .. So maybe a red wine sauce. 

hannibal-lecter.gif

Thanks! I appreciate you going through the trouble of finding the video.

I agree on watching multiple videos before deciding which one looks good. There are so many deviations and regional variations. This cooking method from a Viennese restaurant makes most sense to me:

I'm partial to the Austrian potato salad. This one is similar to what my grandfather used to make:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I did not write queue ball. 

The above "Kuey" was supposed to represent "cue", as if the person in the story possibly could not pronounce "cue", just as they could not pronounce "queue".

Perhaps you were taught "queue" in elementary school, we were taught "line". I probably did not learn "queue" meant the same thing until 6th grade. About 1978. Texas education.

The year after I graduated from high school and yes, we were taught the difference between cue and queue in the 60s in the south. 

I'm guessing East Texas Piney Woods? 😉

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Thanks! I appreciate you going through the trouble of finding the video.

I agree on watching multiple videos before deciding which one looks good. There are so many deviations and regional variations. This cooking method from a Viennese restaurant makes most sense t

I'm partial to the Austrian potato salad. This one is similar to what my grandfather used to make:

Peeve: When I foolishly decide to buy in potato salad instead of making my own and they use the wrong type of potato. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, in French a good example of that is the phrase "comme çi comme ça," meaning "like this, like that," and supposedly used in response to "comment ça va?" ("How's it going?"). Or so we were all taught in high school. It was only later I learned that almost NO adults in France use it, and they tend to think of it as either "tourist French" or the sort of thing children say. GRRRR! It's like I was sabotaged by my high school teachers!

Visit Lousyana and you'll hear it a lot. My grandfather taught me that one. lol

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

This cooking method from a Viennese restaurant makes most sense to me:

Ack. Frying it in 6 cms of clarified butter!?!?!? I'd be the person pounding a breadboard next door to make you think I can afford it!

I have a thing I do that is undoubtedly cheating, but weirdly works. You brush a bit of vodka on to the meat (I use pork, not veal, sorry!) before coating it in flour. When the meat cooks, the alcohol evaporates and makes the breadcrumb coating (which I blend very fine) bubble up, so it's light and fluffy while still being thin.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ack. Frying it in 6 cms of clarified butter!?!?!? I'd be the person pounding a breadboard next door to make you think I can afford it!

I have a thing I do that is undoubtedly cheating, but weirdly works. You brush a bit of vodka on to the meat (I use pork, not veal, sorry!) before coating it in flour. When the meat cooks, the alcohol evaporates and makes the breadcrumb coating (which I blend very fine) bubble up, so it's light and fluffy while still being thin.

You should try cornbread mix instead of flour sometime and see how you like it.. That's the stuff that turns meats cooked with flour into a heavenly delight..  I beat some egg in there with the cornbread mix and that's all you have to add to it..  My husband loves it and my boys are pretty much dependent on it..  They would know right away if I made a switch to flour.. I'd have a revolt on my hands... hehehehe

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In a college Computer Science class, this one student excitedly said that his favorite data structure was the "Kwee!"

It took awhile for the rest of the class to realize that he meant "Queue". 

38 years later, I am still a little surprised. But then again, "queue" is not used in the US to mean "form a line of people" so..perhaps it was not a word they ever heard spoken.

Peeve:  Darned if you laugh, Darned if you can sometimes keep from laughing.

ETA: I wonder if he played pool using a "Kuey-ball"?

Reminded me of this -

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Peeve: When I foolishly decide to buy in potato salad instead of making my own and they use the wrong type of potato. 

It's no fun when the wrong type of ingredient breaks a dish. The two varieties commonly sold in my local markets are russet and yukon gold. I made the mistake of picking up the high-starch russet and ended up with a mashed flavored mustard vinaigrette.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My fat ass should figure out a way to bake them instead. XD

I'm going to try the vodka trick. Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Reminds me a bit of that English cookbook author who wrote a blurb complaining about how everyone were obsessed with hiring French chefs and cooks when the English chefs and cooks were just as good - "And don't use up a pound of butter to fry you an egg in the morning". Or something to that effect. 

But as long as you strain the butter you can reuse it - the smoke point of clarified butter and ghee is at around 250C (which is much too hot for cooking schnitzel!), and as long as you don't heat it that hard it's fine to reuse a couple of times. And as long as you have a nice and thin schnitzel you could well get away with 3-4 cms of butter. My father used to tell me 'the milk doesn't know what day it is' (when I worried it had expired because the best before date was due) - I reckon as long as the schnitzel is afloat it won't know how deep the butter below is! 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sure! Once you've used those Alt-codes enough times 🙂

Well I don't have to, my keyboard comes with the complete 28-letter alphabet. Only things I need to use alt codes for are eth, thorn, and eszett. Even got a key for putting umlauts on the next character, so those few times you need an umlaut over an i or e to write naïve or Noëlle I don't have to go hunting for alt codes! And if I use the Alt Gr key on the same key I can even write mañana!

P.S. 
   Also ü. Mostly used to write München. 

Edited by Orwar

25 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Snitchels get stitchels 🙂 

I know Germans call a hot dog "hundwurst mit brotchen" 😮 

A lot of people in the U.S. especially around Chicago and the suburbs just call them dogs, or with the south side Chicago accent, Dags..

Gimme, TREE dags! Trow everyTing on'm.. You put Kaachup on Dose I break Yuh legs.

]

hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

A lot of people in the U.S. especially around Chicago and the suburbs just call them dogs, or with the south side Chicago accent, Dags..

The best Swedish word I've heard for them is 'Slaktavfall'. Nods.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Gimme, TREE dags! Trow everyTing on'm.. You put Kaachup on Dose I break Yuh legs.

]

hehehe

..and "Brats"!

• Like 2