12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve

That LL has expended all this time and effort to give us half-assed shiny textures, when they more profitably could have used it to deliver swishy dresses and skirts that are better than flexi.

I'm calling sexism.

Peeve: because LL likes shiny half asses, they must favor males, because beefcake.

12 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

All the swishies!!!!! 

I mean...if someone at LL wins lotto and really wants to make several thousand people very happy, then maybe...

You + @Scylla Rhiadra just activated my hidden trap peeve card. The biggest argument FOR Second Life, for a fashion addict like me, aren't the thousands of outfits nor the creative freedom of the various bodies. It's hairstyles.

I'm so bloody done with the shaved sidecut being the default representation of feminine presenting styles in every single goshdamn videogame. Ancient Greece? Sidecut. Dystopian future? Sidecut. Fantasy world on the other side of the cosmos? Sidecut galore, maybe one bob. If they're feeling brave, they might add a few buzzcuts, like ten or twelve of them, a singular afro for representation and then call it a day.

What happened to ponytails? Or just ANY longer hairstyle in general? What, you stick "diversity" on your PR blurb but can't bother to add more than one tropey black hairstyle either?

I don't buy the argument of clipping because bloody hell, somehow it ain't an issue when the cape clips through the body, the flying tank janks itself into orbit and captain fisher price somehow lost his moustache on that crate over while the guns and swords just hover near the avatar. Heck hair clips all the time in SL and it's still glorious to have such a wide breadth of style options!

And yes, swishies - although I do wonder about the collision of an immovable object (SL users and change) and an unstoppable force (the desire for physics based hair).

image.gif.eef49c53ed341921bfb6f63799624bb2.gif

Unlimited power is what, let's *****ing go!

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

I'm so bloody done with the shaved sidecut being the default representation of feminine presenting styles in every single goshdamn videogame. Ancient Greece? Sidecut. Dystopian future? Sidecut. Fantasy world on the other side of the cosmos? Sidecut galore, maybe one bob. If they're feeling brave, they might add a few buzzcuts, like ten or twelve of them, a singular afro for representation and then call it a day.

What happened to ponytails? Or just ANY longer hairstyle in general? What, you stick "diversity" on your PR blurb but can't bother to add more than one tropey black hairstyle either?

Ack. Wait. Before you come for the side cuts, I need to know - do you mean in Second Life or other video games? Because I struuuuggle to find good partial shaved hairstyles (including side and undercuts) in Second Life. So much hair is overly flowy and luscious for my taste, like a damn Pantene commercial (I reserve those for my male avatars - they're the divas of the bunch, lol). No.Match is killing it on the alternative side, and I still cling to Adoness as they're the only brand I've found that does shaved 50s rockabilly styles, but I struggle to find good black hairstyles done that way (I need a frohawk like NOW - Camo has some unique styles, but not quite what I want). 

That said! To tackle the other games don't have hairstyle diversity angle - what games are you playin'?! I've seen some seriously wicked female hairstyles in too many games to name - including long ponytails, short ponytails, braids of all kinds, updos, bobs, shaved/partial styles, buns, shags...everything.

As for black hairstyles specifically, the industry still struggles to get it right most of the time (yep, peeve), but there are some games that absolutely nailed it. Guild Wars Nightfall and GW2 have always been my favorite. Hogwarts Legacy also came in clutch, but I didn't play that one. They specifically got fades and textured curls right. And Dragon's Dogma 2 killed it not only on the hair, but also with skin tones and faces. Baldur's Gate 3 and Forza Horizon 5 did alright, too. There are a bunch of games without character customization that did a fantastic job with their main characters and NPCs, too. 

On the hairstyles side, Second Life actually falls into my least favorite list. Most textured hair looks absolutely awful and I can't find a good shaved hairbase to save my virtual life (I like designs in them, like this). Peeve!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Ack. Wait. Before you come for the side cuts, I need to know - do you mean in Second Life or other video games? Because I struuuuggle to find good partial shaved hairstyles (including side and undercuts) in Second Life. So much hair is overly flowy and luscious for my taste, like a damn Pantene commercial (I reserve those for my male avatars - they're the divas of the bunch, lol). No.Match is killing it on the alternative side, and I still cling to Adoness as they're the only brand I've found that does shaved 50s rockabilly styles, but I struggle to find good black hairstyles done that way (I need a frohawk like NOW - Camo has some unique styles, but not quite what I want). 

That said! To tackle the other games don't have hairstyle diversity angle - what games are you playin'?! I've seen some seriously wicked female hairstyles in too many games to name - including long ponytails, short ponytails, braids of all kinds, updos, bobs, shaved/partial styles, buns, shags...everything.

As for black hairstyles specifically, the industry still struggles to get it right most of the time (yep, peeve), but there are some games that absolutely nailed it. Guild Wars Nightfall and GW2 have always been my favorite. Hogwarts Legacy also came in clutch, but I didn't play that one. They specifically got fades and textured curls right. And Dragon's Dogma 2 killed it not only on the hair, but also with skin tones and faces. Baldur's Gate 3 and Forza Horizon 5 did alright, too. There are a bunch of games without character customization that did a fantastic job with their main characters and NPCs, too. 

On the hairstyles side, Second Life actually falls into my least favorite list. Most textured hair looks absolutely awful and I can't find a good shaved hairbase to save my virtual life (I like designs in them, like this). Peeve!

Interesting to see the opposite perspective on this. In general, I was praising SL as it has more of the type of hairstyles I enjoy. See: Flowy and luscious or very long. For example, people raged about Stellar Blade's outfits and meanwhile I sat there, saw the ponytail and went "do want".

Guildwars 2 did have some decent options, sadly I don't think I'm compatible with that game at all. It's simultaneously a game I've got several hundred hours in and hated almost every minute of it. Probably because I was really only playing it for my partner as a backup for hard dungeons and jumping puzzles. I'm still salty over them ditching the vastly superior Guildwars 1 gameplay! Both DD2 and BG3 sadly did nothing in terms of hairstyles I enjoy, although there were options that were good enough that I wasn't just tempted to throw on a helmet to hide it.

As for what type of game I play:

image.png.c2cb6d0ec69b9be849427eb1820262e9.png

All of them :D

But it's cool to see you enjoying the styles I don't and probably vice versa.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

Interesting to see the opposite perspective on this. In general, I was praising SL as it has more of the type of hairstyles I enjoy. See: Flowy and luscious or very long. For example, people raged about Stellar Blade's outfits and meanwhile I sat there, saw the ponytail and went "do want".

Oh, the Stellar Blade ponytails were legit, but I shudder to think of how they'd behave in SL - clipping into our skirts and gowns and wings and whatever else. We do have some similar styles, but I forget where. VCO maybe? Our hair being static is going to completely ruin the look, though. 😩 Movement - we need movement! Peeeeeeeveeeee!

SL hair (movement aside) is pretty good if you like flowing straight long hair, shoulder-length styles, and some other things like updos. On the other side, I've been hunting for things like braids, dreads, very short styles, twists and curls, textured looks, messy looks, precision cuts, and a combination of those + alternative. Something like this, these, this, this, this (omg stop me) is damn near impossible to find (and done well). Peeve! 

50 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

Guildwars 2 did have some decent options, sadly I don't think I'm compatible with that game at all.

I hear you. I'm on again/off again with GW2 constantly. I'm more of a WvW player than anything, though and only ever did PvE when it came to killing world bosses and collecting my mounts (never got the Skyscale or the pew pew turtle, though). Needless to say, none of these new expansions are doing much for the game mode I prefer, so I drift in and out. I fully agree they should've kept the old style of gameplay in the original game. My favorite thing was creating stupid builds and tracking down elite skills. The ruined that, and how dare they take away my Ritualist (peeve!). The hairstyles are fire, though, even if I do spend most of my time in there as a stylish plant!

54 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

As for what type of game I play:

image.png.c2cb6d0ec69b9be849427eb1820262e9.png

All of them :D

LOL. Yeah, my Steam library isn't that big, but if I pooled that along with Epic, the EA app, Itch.io (1,741 games on its own), Prime Gaming, Game Pass, random MMOs scattered all over the place, and GOG and other random libraries, I'm probably very close to your numbers.

Oh, and you can find some nice hair in the indie scene. I was messing around with My Time at Sandrock a few weeks ago - that creation tool is wicked. Very mix/match friendly and you can choose your hair pieces independently and manipulate each one. Add a ponytail or piggy buns or knots to any style and play with colors and length and the full color spectrum. Fun stuff!

• Like 1

Peeved. My headset decided it was time to come apart. I mean, more than the old thing where the earpad had been disintegrated and replaced by a non-attached spare one for an old headset that I had to pinch in place with the headset every time I put them on - the plastic end bit on the headband bit fell apart, apparently one of the two screws had gone missing and the plastic receiver for the second screw cracked.

Off to find a teeny tiny screwdriver to put the second screw back in the first hole. But, despite how the toolbox is literally overflowing, I could only find a gargantuan screwdriver, and also a handle for interchangeable bits (but no bits). I did, however, find some super glue, which I'm currently giving a little bit to dry (mostly just to make sure I don't glue my headset into my hair if there's any stray droplets). 

I've been saying for almost a year now I should go buy a new headset. But I never get around to, because then I'd have to go into town, and town is full of people, and people are bad. 

.. Suppose I could order some online, but I really don't like online shopping (for non-virtual goods, anyway). 

On the bright side, the scent of the super glue instantly reminded me of the first time I tried to put together some Warhammer skeletons around the age of 8. And without even getting any glue on my fingers this time I remembered the sensation, the heat, the dryness of the skin, and how I tore them apart in sheer terror of being told a doctor might have to cut them apart with a scalpel the first time I managed to join my thumb and index finger.

Good times. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

My headset decided it was time to come apart.

Mood. I've been shedding bits of faux leather all over the place for months. 😩😂

I got it into my head that my next pair would be an upgrade to a serious pair of studio headphones, and I don't currently have serious pair of studio headphones money, so shed I shall until then.

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Mood. I've been shedding bits of faux leather all over the place for months. 😩😂

I got it into my head that my next pair would be an upgrade to a serious pair of studio headphones, and I don't currently have serious pair of studio headphones money, so shed I shall until then.

I'm very un-picky about headphones, as long as they can go loud without rattling too much (if someone comes up to you from the other end of the train car asking 'hey isn't that that song from that band' you've got the volume just about right), and are comfortable, I'm good. I asked my father if he had any spare adapter for getting a 3.5mm plug into my phone a few months back, as I jokingly (but honestly) pointed out that they cost more than my dang phone-headphones (also why did they stop putting holes in phones?!). So he sent me one, and also a pair of rather expensive headphones he wasn't using anymore since he's gone wireless. My 99:- headphones I've had for about 12 years are really nifty, they fold up so I can stick them in my pocket and in all these years they've been blasting music without trouble (also they come with an output socket so you could serie-link a bunch of them to listen to music with friends .. In headphones .. Um, never really used that function; just stick the phone in a cup and everyone can hear!). The 2,500:- headphones he'd sent me sat on my head for about 2 minutes before I decided that they were uncomfortable and also didn't go loud enough - also I don't really feel like carrying around a little handbag-looking thing just to be able to listen to music on my way to work. 

I also think the computer headset I have now cost a fraction of the ones I had before them, they've lasted twice as long. So, eh, I could buy some try-hard-gamer-headset-with-integrated-cat-ears-and-selfie-stick-or-whatever-is-vogue-now for a whole lot of money .. But I'm leaning towards just buying basically the same kind I already have. And also maybe a tiny screwdriver and some spare ear pads if they've got 'em.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I'm very un-picky about headphones, as long as they can go loud without rattling too much (if someone comes up to you from the other end of the train car asking 'hey isn't that that song from that band' you've got the volume just about right)

I used to be just like this until I got into grime and minimal dubstep some years ago. Not the hyper, screeching, glitching Transformers noisy dubstep. The ambient soundscapes with deeeeeeeeeeep BASS.

It sounds like complete crap in my standard $50 headsets/headphones. Total crap. It barely picks up the sub-bass at all. It gets totally washed out and annihilated in cheaper headphones no matter how much I crank volume. Makes me want to cry. 😂

For PC headsets, though, I don't particularly care either. Mic is more important on those, and I barely ever use them anyway, so I'd just grab whatever.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: On a work trip, and cannot access the Forums during the day due to poor cell reception at the job. So I have to WORK!! I miss you guys!

Oh no! But your post count! You have a daily target for that, right? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Unpeeve: Yes!!! I have a trial! "The former ballerina accused of murdering her husband heads to trial next week."

Peeve: Seriously? "Black Swan Murder Trial?" Why must they sensationalize EVERYTHING? It's a self-defense case, geez.

• Thanks 1