17 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'd worry if ya did! 

giphy.gif

I actually know next to nothing about her, except that Swifties were catching hands on Twitter a week or so ago for messing with Queen Björk. "Pluto" apparently blew some minds and some couldn't handle it. Not that it's been a whole 27 years or anything that we've been listening to that. *cackles maniacally*

Peeve: That did set me off on a path to try and binge her entire catalog, or at least most of it (I actually skipped Biophilia entirely when that came out because the site she built around it annoyed me greatly from a design POV) and now I'm really, really upset I never saw her live!!!! ARGJHGHGHG.

I knew about the Twigs-Swift imbroglio, but I missed the Bjork thing!

Well, Swift is Swift and Bjork . . . is basically from an entirely different dimension. Despite the comparisons that are often rather weirdly made. I haven't listened to Bjork in a while . . . except occasionally the inevitable "Army of Me." I need to revisit.

As for Swifties . . . I find TS herself pretty anodyne, but Swifties? THEY are annoying.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I like my eggo, a bit to much at times.  

eggolove.thumb.jpg.303e07cdc0b969b6554321004183507c.jpg

Leggo my eggo?

oh yeah, this is supposed to be peeves.  Some people do not understand that waffles are inherently better than pancakes, pancakes are good but they lack the pockets of goodness that catch the butter, and syrup.  On pancakes, it all just mushes out all over the place, it is an inherent flaw in the design.

fanning-myself-mel-b.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That isn't a "breakfast classic", it's a "cake" designed bysomebody who has never seen a real cake.

THIS is a breakfast classic.

b92a3d74b4cf48c28abba34197798049.jpg

Replace the beans and tomatoes with a couple of different kinds of fruit like bananas, blueberries, grapes, blackberries and I'll be home for breakfast. Your home that is. 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, Swift is Swift and Bjork . . . is basically from an entirely different dimension. Despite the comparisons that are often rather weirdly made. I haven't listened to Bjork in a while . . . except occasionally the inevitable "Army of Me." I need to revisit.

As for Swifties . . . I find TS herself pretty anodyne, but Swifties? THEY are annoying.

Peeve: Swifties have nothing to do with "Swift Boats" or "Tom Swift" - said swiftly.

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

To be clear, I'm by no means a Swiftie. I DO think she's a very bright and talented woman, and she's really grown into a kind of strength over the years: I find that admirable. Good for her!

On the other hand, I find her music bland, her politics and feminism ok as far as they go, but they don't go very far really, and I don't see her as a fashion icon or role model much.

But I also really don't get the extreme hate she attracts. She's really pretty inoffensive.

Is this because she's been interrupting your football games?

Its basically just her face and her music.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh, you didn't miss much. Some random person made a comment that Swift's music was boring. That led to them getting outed as a Björk fan by Swifties. Other Swifties were then like ooOooOoOoO u mean u like dis *random clip of Pluto entirely out of context*. Björk fans rush to his defense and the defense of a 27-year-old banger. The end. I'll never understand how they managed to find that one gem out of her insanely massive discography, but hey. I think it's a meme, somewhere.😂

Minor peeve: Music beef always tickles me, but that was nowhere near as fun as people being shown key lyrics 30 years later and finding out their favorite artists/songs are...problematic. That's straight up hilarious.

Toss Atopos, Ovule, Ancestress (hell, just listen to all of Fossora), Joga, Hidden Place, Hunter, Bachelorette, Pagan Poetry, Possibly Maybe, and Isobel in the mix, too. And yes, I see absolutely zero point in comparing them. That was such a goofy argument! 😄

Oh man, huge peeve: All fandoms are annoying. I've heard Nicki Minaj's fans can be rather brutal on them thar social medias.

• Like 1

Peeve: I can mansplain parts of the problems with Taylor Swift: 

Men generally support Male music stars more, and diss Female music stars.  This is exacerbated by TS's huge success.

Basically, men are jealous. If TS was a Male, then men would support her more.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Men generally support Male music stars more, and diss Female music stars.  This is exacerbated by TS's huge success.

I think that far over 50% off my favorite songs on my Spotify lists are from women, so I can't really relate to that.
Maybe it is because there are so many songs of her in the Billboard 100 charts at the same time?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I think that far over 50% off my favorite songs on my Spotify lists are from women, so I can't really relate to that.
Maybe it is because there are so many songs of her in the Billboard 100 charts at the same time?

I don't use Spotify or any other similar streaming service that curates playlists for you or suggests music.

I do use Amazon Music, but only to play songs that I request. ETA: I previously uploaded my entire music library to Amazon, when that was a service they offered. So, I can listen to "almost anything" with their Premium service.

Peeve: So, I "miss out" on whatever the Powers That Be want me to hear.

Edited by Love Zhaoying

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't use Spotify or any other similar streaming service that curates playlists for you or suggests music.

I do use Amazon Music, but only to play songs that I request. ETA: I previously uploaded my entire music library to Amazon, when that was a service they offered. So, I can listen to "almost anything" with their Premium service.

Honestly, I find Spotify's algorithms to be seriously good. In fact, I've come to rely on them. I listen to a lot of very difficult-to-find international music/genres where it would be almost impossible to find good artists on my own simply due to language barriers and a slightly smaller artist reach (I have an entire collection of Egyptian and Greek rap, Turkish electronic/dance, world music, etc.) and without Spotify poking me every week like HEY, HEY...check these guys out! - I'd have no real way to find it (short of random Google and YouTube searches that may or may not turn up something I'm interested in).

My only real peeve there is having to use Spotify, which is kind of mehhh for artists, generally. YouTube's suggestions just aren't that good at picking similar stuff I like. It's close buuuut doesn't quite hit. I dunno what secret sauce Spotify is using to determine what I'd binge for hours, but yikes, it works.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Spotify Premium lets you handpick your songs too. I mostly do, made many playlists for my own use.

But their algorithms to pick songs for you, work fine as well and it let's you listen to not yet discovered numbers that you would likely never have found on your own.
Premium is really worth it's money IMHO. One of the biggest record collections of the world is at your feet.
I always thought I knew a lot about the 70s and 80s. Now I know I hardly scratched the surface back then.
Same goes for jazz and classical music.

Only Spotify peeve I have: that there is still so much music to explore.

Another peeve: They are experimenting with video clips now too. I don't know if I want that.

Edited by Sid Nagy
added another peeve
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Spotify Premium lets you handpick your songs too. I mostly do, made many playlists for my own use.

The free version, too! I'm using basic, but I have a bunch of self-curated playlists that I'm assuming Spotify is using to build out my weekly Discover and other playlists for me. That plus artist/album likes and follows, perhaps.

53 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I always thought I knew a lot about the 70s and 80s. Now I know I hardly scratched the surface back then.
Same goes for jazz and classical music.

You know what's wild? I have a playlist that's got zero similarities between artists/songs/albums EXCEPT for the fact that they're completely unserious and silly. I call it "Redonkulous Jamz" and it's a completely random mish mash of genres with the only connecting thread being that their lyrics are funny or really bizarre. And when I reach the end of that playlist and Spotify auto-continues the music - it picks humorous things that would fit that playlist exactly! It's incredible. 😂 I completely believe it's capable of picking really good 70s, 80s, jazz, classical, etc. if it's able to roll with my foolishness.

57 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Only Spotify peeve I have: that there is still so much music to explore.

Tooooooooo much! I've got several playlists listed with an over 24 hours listen time and I add to those constantly.

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Another peeve: They are experimenting with video clips now too. I don't know if I want that.

Not seen that yet, but I'm really not fond of the big ole artist panel that pops up every time a track plays. Trust me Spotify, if I'm jamming, I WILL go check out who the artist is, don't worry!

• Like 2

Tonight I started listening to an easy jazz listing from Spotify, the sixth song was one from Carla Bruni. I know a few of her French songs but I never new she did English too.
And now I ended up listening to an album from her with English covers called French Touch.  Her version of Miss You from the Stones on that album is so different, but amazing.
That is exactly what I love about Spotify, I know where I start, but I never know where I end up listening to.

Peeve: almost bedtime and still so much I want to hear.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

Ouch, that can be really painful in the wallet.

My "out of pocket" was US$1900 total for both.  (Straight from a medical savings account, though.)

Hopefully, I only need to replace a few every couple of years.  It's been at least 5 years since I replaced one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: I had 2 crowns replaced at the dentist today. Not toooo painful!

Expensive though I bet!

Peeve:  Access to affordable dental care is about Nil in the US.  If you have no insurance and don't have the money to pay up front you might as well kiss any dental work goodbye.  The last time I went to the dentist I had to have a tooth pulled and grafted. It cost me $1500.  

• Sad 4

49 minutes ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

Expensive though I bet!

Peeve:  Access to affordable dental care is about Nil in the US.  If you have no insurance and don't have the money to pay up front you might as well kiss any dental work goodbye.  The last time I went to the dentist I had to have a tooth pulled and grafted. It cost me $1500.  

I had a root canal almost 25 yrs.ago.  Of course, dental maxed out so I had to.pay for.the remaining balance.  It was still quite a.lot.  I've yet to shell out the $$$$$ to have a crown.  It's lasted this long without it.  *knocks.on wood*

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
21 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That isn't a "breakfast classic", it's a "cake" designed bysomebody who has never seen a real cake.

THIS is a breakfast classic.

b92a3d74b4cf48c28abba34197798049.jpg

Replace the beans and tomatoes with a couple of different kinds of fruit like bananas, blueberries, grapes, blackberries and I'll be home for breakfast. Your home that is. 😋

Someone would also need to banish those mushrooms for me.

The eggs look wonderful -- I love mine sunny side up or over easy, so the yolk is still runny.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't know a lot of men that like POP music really.. I'm not too much of a fan of it myself..

• Like 2