27 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Okay, here goes - I have male alts that I often use as "actors" portraying a variety of roles - some current, some historical. In order to do this they need appropriate hair.

Through my historical research, I've discovered that over time and around the world most men don't/didn't wear hairstyles that look like a small animal pelt balanced on top of their head combined with near-shaven hair over the rest of their heads.

This means that 97% of current male hair on offer in Second Life is inappropriate for my purposes, except for the characters who I've decided would be wearing bad toupees.

Peeve: Walk into a hair store. Look at the huge lady partition and the small male one. Story told.
Same goes for everything fashion related. Today's and historical.
If you are into fashion, it is way easier with a female avatar. We all know that for a long time already.
Still a peeve though.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: people who say you need a non-stick pan for frying eggs. You don't.

Non-stick pans with tetrafluoroethylene were first made in 1954. Fried eggs appear in written history in around 1,000 B.C. That writing, in fact, instructs you on how to successfully fry an egg; use plenty of cooking fat (it specifies low-acidic olive oil, but seeing as I'm surrounded by pine trees and moose rather than olive groves and jackals, I personally go with butter or tallow).

Perhaps if people bothered to actually learn how to fry a damned egg before becoming celebrity chefs .. Mutters.

It's that and the amount of heat. Some that I know use way too much heat  and end up with scrambled eggs instead. Hehehe 

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's that and the amount of heat. Some that I know use way too much heat  and end up with scrambled eggs instead. Hehehe 

Peeve: My mom would always overcook scrambled eggs - with too much grease - so I did not know what "good" scrambled eggs were like until I was an adult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: My mom would always overcook scrambled eggs - with too much grease - so I did not know what "good" scrambled eggs were like until I was an adult.

It is with eggs just like with all the other food IMHO.
It is done the right way if you like the result. That can be different for everyone. Just like with steaks, a burger, goulash, all veggies and also with a "simple" dish with eggs.

And just think off that tiny niche of people who think that there should be no pineapple on a pizza Hawaii.... /me shudders, but for them it is the wrong way to add that fruit.

There is never just one right way.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

It is with eggs just like with all the other food IMHO.
It is done the right way if you like the result. That can be different for everyone. Just like with steaks, a burger, goulash, all veggies and also with a "simple" dish with eggs.

I don't disagree, but there's a HUGE difference between "light, fluffy" scrambled eggs, and "greasy, limp, burned" scrambled eggs.

With most other foods, it could be intuitive that it turns out differently (like steaks: good rare steak = tender).  It was not intuitive with me that I was missing out on "good" eggs just because my mom was not a good cook.  Same with vegetables: always overcooked, so I didn't know what well-cooked veggies "tasted like". I suppose she would have made a good British cook.

..Is joke!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I can't eat them anymore. My first mother used to make me eat them and she put so much ketchup on them that They make me really want to gag just smelling them.

I can eat the ones I make though. Hehehe 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I can't eat them anymore. My first mother used to make me eat them and she put so much ketchup on them that They make me really want to gag just smelling them.

I can eat the ones I make though. Hehehe 

Exactly!

Peeve: Ketchup on eggs - required if eggs are badly cooked, ruins the eggs if they are "well cooked".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suppose she would have made a good British cook.

..Is joke!

I've been on vacation a few times in London.
That is no joke. It is the truth.

/me runs for his life.... It was nice knowing you all.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I always add cottage cheese to my eggs when making scrambled eggs.  Best scrambled eggs I've ever had.  Creamy and fluffy at the same time.

Sounds good. I will experiment with that idea.
When I make an omelet I often melt some Cheddar on top of that or shredded Gouda. So i know that eggs and cheese combine well.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I've been on vacation a few times in London.
That is no joke. It is the truth.

/me runs for his life.... It was nice knowing you all.

London's got some of the most amazing food I've ever tasted in my life. 

None of it was British. 👀

No but seriously - Thai, Indian, Italian food in London? Eat dat.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I assume at least the "fish and chips" is good!

And I've heard good things about the "British Breakfast" (however, I'm a vegetarian so not for me), and various "tea" options.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yes I know, one can eat good and even fairly cheap in all kinds of foreign restaurants just outside the city center mostly. The Indian curries I ate in London were delicious for instance.

British breakfasts are also really good on average.
But if one sees continental breakfast advertised, simply walk that extra half a mile to a place with a British one.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I assume at least the "fish and chips" is good!

And I've heard good things about the "British Breakfast" (however, I'm a vegetarian so not for me), and various "tea" options.  

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Yes I know, one can eat good and even fairly cheap in all kinds of foreign restaurants just outside city center mostly. The Indian curries I ate in London were delicious for instance.
British breakfasts are good also on average.

Yeeees on the breakfasts. It took me a LONG time to get into that whole beans for breakfast thing, though, but once I did - beans required.

Never tried the fish and chips. I lived on other cuisines - mostly Indian, because oh my gawd they were out there killing it with those late 2am takeout deliveries. 😂

Peeeeeeve: My area needs late 2am Indian food deliveries.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I have a trick for this, when making them sunny side up. I crack the eggs into the oil when it's room temp, or just barely warm. The eggs are cooked before the oil can get too hot, and the eggs don't burn on the bottom. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

And I've heard good things about the "British Breakfast"

They are called English breakfasts ;)

In cafes you'll usually see 'Full English breakfast' though, which is an English breakfast with other things added, such as beans as mentioned a couple of posts up, that are not parts of the English breakfast.

The normal so-called English breakfast is bacon, egg, and tomatoes. Everything else in the full english breakfast isn't part of it.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I always add cottage cheese to my eggs when making scrambled eggs.  Best scrambled eggs I've ever had.  Creamy and fluffy at the same time.

Sounds great!!! I could see this working with ricotta too. My Mum used to add a bit of cream.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Damn, it shows that it has been too long since my last visit. Memory starts playing tricks.
If I didn't have to buy a passport to be able to visit London I would do a Christmas shopping week there.
Now I'm thinking about Paris, Salzburg or Berlin. Those I can visit with the European ID card I have.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

In cafes you'll usually see 'Full English breakfast' though, which is an English breakfast with other things added, such as beans as mentioned a couple of posts up, that weren't parts of the English breakfast.

Yup! Mine typically had the eggs (I got them scrambled), sausage, bacon, mushrooms, hash browns, beans, toast, and tomatoes. No black pudding.

So goooooood.

• Like 2