17 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

People who make ignorant assumptions and completely ignore the principles.

This belongs in the "Take Your Shovel and Feel it" thread, but since the trigger isn't a thread title...

People who make ignorant assumptions and completely ignore the princess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peeve:

Men who think they can be my "daddy."

I had an absolutely wonderful father, who was very much my "daddy" growing up and, in my heart, until the day he died.

One of the things that made him so wonderful was that he taught me independence and self-sufficiency. He was there when I need him, always, but his greatest accomplishment was ensuring that his support for me made me stronger, and not merely more reliant. He was one of my loudest cheerleaders, my advocate, and my champion. He was never a crutch, and his greatest joy came from watching me and siblings succeed in our own rights.

I've had a "daddy," and he was utterly irreplaceable, and nothing any other would-be "daddy" might have to offer could ever be anything more than a parody of all he was and stood for.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve:

Men who think they can be my "daddy."

I had an absolutely wonderful father, who was very much my "daddy" growing up and, in my heart, until the day he died.

One of the things that made him so wonderful was that he taught me independence and self-sufficiency. He was there when I need him, always, but his greatest accomplishment was ensuring that his support for me made me stronger, and not merely more reliant. He was one of my loudest cheerleaders, my advocate, and my champion. He was never a crutch, and his greatest joy came from watching me and siblings succeed in our own rights.

I've had a "daddy," and he was utterly irreplaceable, and nothing any other would-be "daddy" might have to offer could ever be anything more than a parody of all he was and stood for.

Ya, that title gets reserved, for sure.

There is a kind of funny transition that happens with a couple when they have kids.. hehehe

Hubby became Daddy, Dad, Father.. I became Mommy, Mom,Mother.  Father became Grandpa..I mean unless they complain about it, but mine insists on being called Grandpa, especially when the kids are around..

If I call him Dad when the kids are around, he will stop in his tracks, point at me and say, Grandpa.

So he's Grandpa most of the time now.. hehehehe

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

There is a kind of funny transition that happens with a couple when they have kids.. hehehe

Hubby became Daddy, Dad, Father.. I became Mommy, Mom,Mother.  Father became Grandpa..I mean unless they complain about it, but mine insists on being called Grandpa, especially when the kids are around..

If I call him Dad when the kids are around, he will stop in his tracks, point at me and say, Grandpa.

I've started calling my husband Papa in the last couple years.  My dad was always Dad.  The one and only I'll ever call that.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've started calling my husband Papa in the last couple years.  My dad was always Dad.  The one and only I'll ever call that.  

Ya, We didn't start calling each other by those a lot until we had our first born..Then after awhile the names just kind of stick..

A lot has to do with mostly including the children in the conversations.. They are more or less included names and not replacement names.. Although my grandparents still call each other MoM or mother and Dad..

I think it's just a natural thing that even the children pick up on.. like when I call my husband by his name, the adults are talking.. Where if I call him Dad or Daddy, it's meant for everyone..

We never really even called each other by those until after i was pregnant.. I think it happened really naturally..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:
17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I called my Dad,  Papa :)   ♥

My dad was "Bob", I referred to him as "Daddy-Bob" for years!  Thanks for helping that memory resurface.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Haven't had kids yet so these haven't changed for me.

Actually i don't call my father anything cause we haven't spoken since 2003 ,

usually i call my mother "baby" but i call every woman i know "baby" so it's more of a habit,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick0678 said:

Haven't had kids yet so these haven't changed for me.

Actually i don't call my father anything cause we haven't spoken since 2003 ,

usually i call my mother "baby" but i call every woman i know "baby" so it's more of a habit,

Ya, that's kind of the same for the someone that had us.. I don't call them anything..I used to call her our first mother, but that was even too much of a title..;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Actually, some of the cultural differences here are fascinating.

In my household, it's always been "mum and dad" for my parents among me and my siblings (and never "dad and mum," for some reason?). They are/were "Grandma and grandpa" only when grandchildren were part of the conversation -- or, on the Ukrainian side, "Baba." But always first names in straight-up convos between siblings or couples.

My nieces keep calling me "Auntie." I hate it -- it makes me feel absolutely ancient, and like I should be wearing a thick knit cardigan and a floral hat. I just want them to use my first name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My nieces keep calling me "Auntie." I hate it -- it makes me feel absolutely ancient, and like I should be wearing a thick knit cardigan and a floral hat. I just want them to use my first name.

Try not to think about what they call you, when you're not around. I found out my cousins referred to my mom as "Aunt Urpa" (for "Irma", where "urp" here, means "vomit").

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Actually, some of the cultural differences here are fascinating.

In my household, it's always been "mum and dad" for my parents among me and my siblings (and never "dad and mum," for some reason?). They are/were "Grandma and grandpa" only when grandchildren were part of the conversation -- or, on the Ukrainian side, "Baba." But always first names in straight-up convos between siblings or couples.

I don't know if it is cultural or just house to house,family to family. I never really gave it much thought until this thread..

It all just kind of happened the way it did, kind of on it's own for us.. I don't call my husband Father, but I will say, go ask your Father rather than Dad or Daddy.. He will call me mother, mom or in a goofy mood mommy..

Myself, I liked being called aunt by my nieces and nephews.. But I was in my upper teens and early 20's when they started to do that.. It made me feel a little more like I joined the adult crowd and not in the younger generation anymore.. They are the kiddies now.. hehehe

• Like 3

Daddy is a sexualised term now and that is just very different. My first experience of Wives calling their Husbands what the kids would call them and vice versa was the old Ma & Pa Kettle movies, it was endearing, it was in no way sexual, it was just this is your Pa and that is your Ma and lets just not make more noise by confusing things :) it was wholesome. 

I do not understand when I see a Male character in a show sidle up to a YOUNG girl and call her Mama, with a sleazy intention, that is also very different and confusing, and honestly cultural or not, it has definitely taken on a strange newer pop culture type of thing.

I know in some Asian countries it is all titles all the time, but they are not adding an element to sleaze to that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Myself, I liked being called aunt by my nieces and nephews....

1st time i was called "uncle" (5 years ago) something broke inside me cause i realized that now belong to the "older people" group

...and those weren't even my nieces or nephews, i was just visiting some woman i dated, who had kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

1st time i was called "uncle" (5 years ago) something broke inside me cause i realized that now belong to the "older people" group

...and those weren't even my nieces or nephews, i was just visiting some woman i dated, who had kids.

I've had my friends kids call me that.. I just tell them they can call me by my name if they want.. A lot times they smile and like it, because it makes them feel bigger.. Kinda like my niece's and nephews made me feel more grown up..

I've had people that I thought were my uncles because they were around so much.. Then later in life kind of disappointed that they were just good friends of the family rather than related..

If it's someones kids that I don't know start doing it, like right away, ya that feels kind of strange..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2