3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve: A thread about the relationship between a certain kind of identity in RL and how it is perceived in SL, based upon an article (authored by a former Linden) in a SL-centric online source that is specifically about SL, gets shut down by the mods because . . . it's not relevant to SL???

I'm not getting the reasoning here.

Maybe there was drama?

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe there was drama?

"it's not directly related to Second Life specifically, and therefore has been locked. If the thread could exist on a non-Second Life Forum, that is probably a good sign it doesn’t belong here."

To be clear, I'm not "complaining."

But it's becoming difficult to discern what is permitted here. We need consistency.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Peeve: A thread about the relationship between a certain kind of identity in RL and how it is perceived in SL, based upon an article (authored by a former Linden) in a SL-centric online source that is specifically about SL, gets shut down by the mods because . . . it's not relevant to SL???

I'm not getting the reasoning here.

47 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"it's not directly related to Second Life specifically, and therefore has been locked. If the thread could exist on a non-Second Life Forum, that is probably a good sign it doesn’t belong here."

But it's becoming difficult to discern what is permitted here. We need consistency.

The article was not specifically concerning Second Life. It was an article concerning "Virtual Worlds" in general.

Where it was hosted and who wrote it are considered irrelevant in this case.

Not saying I agree with it but that is what appears to be the reasoning and it is consistent: If it is not specifically about Second Life, it is a no go.

Meh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

The article was not specifically concerning Second Life. It was an article concerning "Virtual Worlds" in general.

Where it was hosted and who wrote it are considered irrelevant in this case.

Not saying I agree with it but that is what appears to be the reasoning and it is consistent: If it is not specifically about Second Life, it is a no go.

Meh.

Have you read the article, Solar? It's about 80% the comment of a woman in SL, specifically referencing SL on at least three occasions, and appearing under a photo of an incident that happened in SL.

Most of the posts in the thread similarly directly reference SL (as for example my own), or are pretty clearly implicitly about SL.

I'm not sure how much more "relevant" it could be.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Seemed a pretty clear cut example of a social justice issue.

Then that should have been the justification given. It wasn't.

We had a thread on a sign in SL that read "R*pe Me" that was permitted -- every bit as much a "social justice" issue as this. It was moved to adult, but is still, I think, open.

My understanding, based on how the mods have mostly responded, is that the proscription on "social justice" pertained largely to RL issues: we've actually had a number that have addressed these issues as they are manifested in SL. As this one did.

Consistency.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Autocorrect
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Have you read the article, Solar? It's about 80% the comment of a woman in SL, specifically referencing SL on at least three occasions, and appearing under a photo of an incident that happened in SL.

Most of the posts in the thread similarly directly reference SL (as for example my own), or are pretty clearly implicitly about SL.

When I do a RL pet peeve, I add a 2nd one for a SL pet peeve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I popped it up, skimmed the majority of it. Pictures aside, I may have missed where second Life was named directly ... and it wouldn't be very relevant then either as the article itself is titled in a generic manner.

Note, I have already stated I do not agree with the action taken. I am simply giving the apparent reasoning - something which took no more than ten seconds of thought to come to and utterly ignoring any deeper dive as such is not needed for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I admit, the reason given was more than a little awkward. I chalked it up to, "Eh, moles are not perfect. There were more comprehensible reasons."

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I admit, the reason given was more than a little awkward. I chalked it up to, "Eh, moles are not perfect. There were more comprehensible reasons."

What difference does it make? The moderators made their decision. discussing it won't change it.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, Lucy and Charlie Brown had rules. Well, Calvinball has rules too, I guess; it's just that they're never the same from one minute to the next.

I think that's the point - and what makes it similar to our discussion here: Rules are set forth, expectations are set, then "Surprise!"