6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Pet Peeve: English

I first read this to mean you missed the people who *were* here, less than you would've otherwise.

Me tawk gud one day!

I miss them because they are now here for less time, posts, and camaraderie  than when they used to be here more.

Moar bedr? Yay!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Welcome to the Panopticon, Coffee!

0721-bks-SHONEcover-superJumbo.jpg

Same concept as the cameras in the production areas at my last job. You know you could be watched at any time, but also that most of the time people will not be watching. You also know where the cameras are, so also what they can't see. In this picture, the floor of the top level would not be visible.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Same concept as the cameras in the production areas at my last job. You know you could be watched at any time, but also that most of the time people will not be watching. You also know where the cameras are, so also what they can't see. In this picture, the floor of the top level would not be visible.

Yeah. As you probably know, we can thank Jeremy Bentham and the Utilitarians for this idea. There's been a lot written (some of it nonsense) on the subject, most famously and influentially by Michel Foucault.

The key mechanism here actually isn't surveillance. It's the emotional and psychological response to the belief that one might be being watched at any given moment. Bentham's idea is that this creates the psychological condition necessary to ensure that we obey the rules, even when we aren't being monitored.

We become our own warder.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah. As you probably know, we can thank Jeremy Bentham and the Utilitarians for this idea. There's been a lot written (some of it nonsense) on the subject, most famously and influentially by Michel Foucault.

The key mechanism here actually isn't it surveillance. It's the emotional and psychological response to the belief that one might be being watched at any given moment. Bentham's idea is that this creates the psychological condition necessary to ensure that we obey the rules, even when we aren't being monitored.

We become our own warder.

It results in a higher turnover rate and stress leaves.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It results in a higher turnover rate and stress leaves.

This depends on other workplace issues as well.

My last job was in pharmaceutical production, so it made sense to have cameras in production areas. The cameras insured compliance to workplace rules, and thus the quality of the product. They're also a needed deterrent to drug theft. They're not there to make sure people aren't taking longer breaks than they should. They also don't have sound enabled, so with a mask on, no one can tell if your talking or what your saying.

Once, I was checking for stray tablets between runs & found one above my line of sight on the lip of a high bin. I told my coworker it was there & we wouldn't be able to just toss it in the trash because the cameras would be able to see me. Luckily for us it was from a previous team's run of a different product. It was a good catch for us, but a bad one for them.

The overall work environment was good though, so there wasn't much turnover.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

omg. SO peeved! @Scylla Rhiadra keeps insisting things are NOT all about me, but refute THIS:

I'm gone from the Forums for about 2 years. I return. THEY CHANGE THE RULES at the very same time! Coincidence? I think NOT.

Now, now I'm gone for like a day. Pop in here to see what is happe.... wtf?

Weird functionality sh*t? What? And the leaderboard stuff I've already been peeving on has gotten more and worse???

Ok. This is a bridge too far, or some such.

Time for a flounce exit! 
flounce2.gif.66455afc469cad5b4b36428386157e74.gif

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

omg. SO peeved! @Scylla Rhiadra keeps insisting things are NOT all about me, but refute THIS:

I'm gone from the Forums for about 2 years. I return. THEY CHANGE THE RULES at the very same time! Coincidence? I think NOT.

Weird functionality sh*t? What? And the leaderboard stuff I've already been peeving on has gotten more and worse???

Time for a flounce exit! 

You can flounce!

Or, as @Silent Mistwalker points out, you can far more productively bend and snap.

(Reese and I have sooooo much in common!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Time for a flounce exit! 

Points for using one of my favorite Prince gifs, though.

Peeve: You didn't, however, choose THE best one. Cloaks make everything better. More so when bedazzled.

bye-turn.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Points for using one of my favorite Prince gifs, though.

Peeve: You didn't, however, choose THE best one. Cloaks make everything better. More so when bedazzled.

bye-turn.gif

We need him flouncing in a glittery cloak.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 4

Insomnia .. And when you finally drift off .. The cat hauls in a critter and screams to let you know what a good little murderer it is .. You manage to ignore it for a little bit .. Then you hear hissing and rustling and realise that the little critter ain't dead and that your bedroom is about to turn into a snapshot out of Braindead. 

So you deal with that. And five minutes after things have gone silent, you feel a heavy thump on your thigh, crotch, chest, and then face, as the little murderer decides it's snuggle time. And after 30 minutes of having a face full of furry, I can't help but wish there were at least a few inches of snow outside to chill off in. 

.. .. Well. At least there were snuggles. Yay?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Insomnia .. And when you finally drift off .. The cat hauls in a critter and screams to let you know what a good little murderer it is .. You manage to ignore it for a little bit .. Then you hear hissing and rustling and realise that the little critter ain't dead and that your bedroom is about to turn into a snapshot out of Braindead. 

So you deal with that. And five minutes after things have gone silent, you feel a heavy thump on your thigh, crotch, chest, and then face, as the little murderer decides it's snuggle time. And after 30 minutes of having a face full of furry, I can't help but wish there were at least a few inches of snow outside to chill off in. 

.. .. Well. At least there were snuggles. Yay?

Murderers need love too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

While you are all peeved about kink, and scripts, and Seicher is busy flouncing, I am peeved with one of the following:

• YouTube
  • My ISP
  • the Internet in general
  • my PC

For the last four days or so, it's been nearly impossible to play YouTube videos. They start to play, then drop to the lowest quality and start buffering. Or, more likely, YouTube waits for 30 seconds and then claims I'm offline (I'm not).

• Other computers on the network don't have the problem.
  • I thought it was my router, which did in fact die during a tech support call. But a replacement has not fixed the problem.
  • All browsers on my PC have the problem (Firefox, Google Chromium, Edge).
  • Switching Google accounts, or browsing YouTube without signing in at all, makes no difference.
  • I've tried clearing browser history, cache, and cookies. Nope.
  • I've tried changing public DNS servers. Nope.
  • I've tried the command line suggestions in several help videos, suggesting a flush of the DNS cache and winsock. Nope.
  • Other websites appear to operate all right...mostly. Sometimes their response seems unusually slow.
  • Speedtests have been inconclusive. My ISP's speedtest says everything is super great. Speedtest.net gives widely varying results depending on the server chosen, but I notice that many servers give me a near-zero UPload speed. But not all.
  • Other video streaming services (Prime Video) work all right.
  • I've tried scanning for viruses and malware (Windows Defender, Avast, and Malwarebytes.) Nope.
  • I've tried a PC tuneup utility (CCleaner, and yes I know some hate it, but it's never hurt me. It suggested I update some drivers, but didn't fix the problem).
  • I read somewhere that an ad blocker can cause this, and I vaguely remember installing one, but not recently...and when I looked, I couldn't find one in my browsers' extensions or my program files.
  • I thought maybe OneDrive might be eating all my resources, since I had just recently re-enabled it for another application, but disabling it again did not help.

I'm out of ideas, the Resident Geek is out of ideas, and we are suffering from Cute Cat Video withdrawal.

• Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Oh, OK. Well, but the problem is only occurring on my machine, not the other computers or tablets or phones on the home network. So I don't think I can lay the problem at the feet of the ISP.

are you 100% sure about that or did you just fire them up poke and it looked ok in that moment

wired or wifi

• Like 3

peeved about having to wait until later today to get my replacement macbook charger so i can play sl on it while i'm out (which is also going to be a total trainwreck, i'm sure.), and having to wait at my boring desk job for eight hours to go home and get it

• Like 3