5 hours ago, Solo Alpha said:

I wouldn't if I'd reside in Akron ... or anywhere else where full clips by multiple officers are unleashed on mere apprehension. :|

Major peeve : triggerhappyness

I actually do live about 5 miles from downtown Akron.  If someone is stealing from me, I'd still call the police.   Or should I just let people take what they want?   Your comment is disturbing to me and not for the obvious reasons.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

What the? What on earth could possibly need to be "set to home" before rezzing? Or do you mean you need to be somewhere where rezzing is allowed?

I've never heard of any product in SL that needs a home set for the object itself before it would rezz! That's sheer stupidity!

The Paradise Blanket.  It makes sense that it saves a "Z-position" home, since it moves to a selected altitudes for rezzing.  But, it kept moving to a different X/Y position until I found the "Set Home" function.  I suppose this is because it rezzes the scenes at the requested X/Y/Z coordinates, and occasionally "moves out of the way" depending on the scene/build being rezzed.  Yes - the reason I needed to "set home" was because the "drift" was resulting in "can't rez here".

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

I actually do live about 5 miles from downtown Akron.  If someone is stealing from me, I'd still call the police.   Or should I just let people take what they want?   Your comment is disturbing to me and not for the obvious reasons.

I was referring to and still am shocked by the apprehension of Jayland Walker and the release of the body-cam footage very recently. 

Nothing personal, but I'd not call your cops on anybody. I don't like thieves either and violent ones especially not, but I'm still baffled how this running perpetrator was approached and dealt with.

Peeve : excessive force

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The Paradise Blanket.  It makes sense that it saves a "Z-position" home, since it moves to a selected altitudes for rezzing.  But, it kept moving to a different X/Y position until I found the "Set Home" function.  I suppose this is because it rezzes the scenes at the requested X/Y/Z coordinates, and occasionally "moves out of the way" depending on the scene/build being rezzed.  Yes - the reason I needed to "set home" was because the "drift" was resulting in "can't rez here".

Oh, it's one of those "scene" things. I thought you meant an object like a bed or chair or something. I've never had any use for one. I much prefer keeping things simple.

Peeve: Having to google something that someone should have linked to! 😋

33 minutes ago, Solo Alpha said:

excessive force

I looked him up. That was hard to watch. 60 bullets fired into one guy, even as he was flat on the ground??!

Thing is, likely he fled in the first place so he wouldn't end up with a possible knee to the neck like Floyd did.

Peeve: The police in America

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

I looked him up. That was hard to watch. 60 bullets fired into one guy, even as he was flat on the ground??!

Yeah, whole clips are fired at him from several directions, as he stopped running and turned towards the officers.

6 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Thing is, likely he fled in the first place so he wouldn't end up with a possible knee to the neck like Floyd did.

He tried. He failed. He died.

Unarmed.

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Solo Alpha said:

Yeah, whole clips are fired at him from several directions, as he stopped running and turned towards the officers.

He tried. He failed. He died.

Unarmed.

I didn't hear about it until today, was on the NPR headlines. Weird how it takes so long now, as if it's almost but not quite normalized, or perhaps there's (failed) attempts to suppress the information during initial investigations. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I didn't hear about it until today

It's a main topic on my Google News feed of the day since this morning. Many major news agencies have been reporting it since. 

I'm not condoning the officer's behavior.  It was horrendous.  With that said, the doesn't mean we let people run wild, doing as they please because we're more afraid of the police than the person stealing from us or doing us harm in any way.  That would be anarchy.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

With that said, the doesn't mean we let people run wild, doing as they please because we're more afraid of the police than the person stealing from us or doing us harm in any way.  

He was unarmed. He was on the run, chased and subsequently excecuted on the spot.

That is a law enforcement not to fear or set onto your fellow human being ? For any kind of perceived crime ? 

Sorry. Still a sound no from me. 

17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm not condoning the officer's behavior.  It was horrendous.  With that said, the doesn't mean we let people run wild, doing as they please because we're more afraid of the police than the person stealing from us or doing us harm in any way.  That would be anarchy.  

I would feel safe to call the police then, as it would be doubtful they'd feel threatened responding to a burglary that happened in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Solo Alpha said:

He was unarmed. He was on the run, chased and subsequently excecuted on the spot.

I'm only just now catching up on the details of this -- been on vacation, avoiding most news.  From what little I have read so far, he did fire at the officers from the car during the car chase.  Supposedly (haven't seen that part of the video yet), it might have looked like he was reaching to his waist as he turned towards the officers.  If that is true, combined with already firing at them, then they are justified in shooting -- the officers had no way of knowing that he left the gun in the car.  Granted, from what I can tell so far, even if they were initially justified in shooting, 60 bullets was way over the top.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

then they are justified in shooting

I think I rather pursue the opinion of the Chief of Akron's Police Deparment the officers responsible will need to account for every bullet they fired. The (single) gunshot fired by the perpetrator is assumed and not yet confirmed.

I understand shooting in self-defense. I have no compassion for a lynching mob. I cannot see any justification so far for this example of unneccesary excessive force during apprehension. 

Not once did the officers have a need to take cover. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Solo Alpha said:

That is a law enforcement not to fear or set onto your fellow human being ? For any kind of perceived crime ? 

Sorry. Still a sound no from me. 

The news report I saw said the victim had shot a gun from his car window before the police chased him. A casing was found outside where the gun was shot and a gun was found on his front seat. This point doesn't justify the police shooting 90 rounds, 60 of which hit him, but it does explain why they thought it was important to chase and shoot him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

.. but it does explain why they thought it was important to chase and shoot him.

Not going for a full fledged discussion here : it apparantly was imperative to chase him. I don't want the officers hanged or paid in kind. I do find they need to be held accountable.

It remains unjustifiable to me to kill him just like this. That's a problem with attitude one cannot subscribe to the victim in case, because that's what he is now. A mere victim of excessive force that was out of control. 

Again .. the chief of police was afaik fully aware of the graveness of this situation. We'll hear more about this. 

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Pet Peeve #704: Some companies bad math when offering services or products. Where one item might be $99 and double is $249.

This sounds familiar, but I just can't quite put my paw on it. Ever since I got PP, my memory ain't so good. Oh...OH!!

A04F540B-D9EB-451E-BDED-6E697FDDEEE8.jpeg

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

That's theft, plain and simple and I'd be telling the landlady he attempted to steal property.  Personally, I'd contact the police so his behavior is on record in case something else turns up missing.

I live in a poor (previously red-lined) neighborhood in which involving the police is unlikely to result in a positive outcome. I learned from my other housemate and her friend the first Thanksgiving I was here that when a neighbor starts shooting a gun off, the proper response in this type of neighborhood is not to call police, but to hide in a back bedroom, eating our meal while sitting on the floor. The police are not all bad, but one shouldn't expect them to hunt down a thief of garden tools. I'm glad we have auditory triangulation tools here to pinpoint where gun shots come from. We haven't had many gun shots in the 6 years I've lived here, but the triangulation can apparently be used to track down illegal fireworks too, of which we have far too many.  

I've seen and been the victim of over-policing here. I stopped driving down certain streets on my way home from work at night after a cop pulled me over "for having a broken tail light", incidentally after I drove past other cops arresting a guy. I had one use his megaphone to tell me to pull over and park in a parking lot at night because I didn't have a license plate on the front of my car. He came over to my car and told me to turn off the engine after it was already turned off. I believe this guy was upset because some other cop had just gotten in trouble for lewd acts with a minor, so he was looking to take out his feelings on someone in this neighborhood. Of course, the police can't see my race when I'm driving at night, so I think they assume I'm black until they pull me over or if they shine bright headlights into my car.

I've also had police be very pleasant and seemingly helpful when we reported a break in and when we called them on a housemate who was acting erratic. Her place of work had just called them too, so they came right over and talked calmly to her in her room and to myself and my other housemate in the kitchen. They were able to get her to calmly and happily come with them for a 51/50 psych evaluation. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

Pet Peeve: Explosions from illegal fireworks so close and so loud that they shake the house and scare me. It happened yesterday when I was taking a bath and just now while sitting at my computer. I don't need this sh!t when I'm already anxious and trying to control my emotions. One of my ex-boyfriends is a veteran of the war in Iraq, and fireworks trigger his PTSD.  I just know there's going to be more fires tonight from them. It's like living in a freaking war zone on the 4th of July. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3