3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Vee-OME" or "VOME"?

I may read "vohm-meter" but my brain says "voltage-ohmage meter".  (Versus homage meter.)

I hear people say it as a single syllable not followed by the word "meter".  I tell them to just say "meter" to prevent me glaring at them like they are saying "uhm.....".

7 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

There is no such thing as a "Legacy Skin" - the first is a skin, the second is a newer variant of a Tattoo. You cannot cease wearing the first as it is an integral part of the base avatar. The second is doing little more than acting as a full body 'mask' of sorts.

The very specific issue I had was - the "skin" had some things that kept poking through the mesh when I turned on BOM.  Wearing the "newer variant of a Tattoo" (awkward, is there a shorter way to say it?), fixed the issues.  In fact, the "skin" had a couple "tattoos" on it! One on my back, one on a leg - that is what was "poking through" when I enabled BOM. 

- Is there a better way to get the "skin" to begone, or must I go find another less offensive "skin" and hope the other item covers it well?

- If I go shopping for "skins" these days, which of the two types of items would I expect to get?  

- My understanding is/was that a "skin" also serves to define your "details" - fine contours on your body, facial "structure", etc. Is this incorrect?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The very specific issue I had was - the "skin" had some things that kept poking through the mesh when I turned on BOM.  Wearing the "newer variant of a Tattoo" (awkward, is there a shorter way to say it?), fixed the issues.  In fact, the "skin" had a couple "tattoos" on it! One on my back, one on a leg - that is what was "poking through" when I enabled BOM. 

- Is there a better way to get the "skin" to begone, or must I go find another less offensive "skin" and hope the other item covers it well?

- If I go shopping for "skins" these days, which of the two types of items would I expect to get?  

- My understanding is/was that a "skin" also serves to define your "details" - fine contours on your body, facial "structure", etc. Is this incorrect?

While a skin can define your details, it is not always the best or only route to do so. The Tattoo Layer can be used just as the label implies (for Tattoos) but it can also be used for a fair bit more as can be seen in my attached screenshot. My actual Tattoo for the pictured "outfit" is in actuality the Universal item labeled as Sacred geometry and the actual Tattoo layer is being used for ... other things.

for some of my older, more Masc forms, the Tattoo layer was often used as a way to help define muscle beyond what was painted directly on the skin.

The only times I have ever had issues with the Tattoo layer (or the Universal for that matter) were when wearing more than one on that same layer. At that point I had to go into the Outfit floater and its third tab (Worn, I think) to alter the current outfit's layer order for that layer (which I know you can do in Firestorm and pretty sure is a standard feature of every Viewer) so as to ensure that certain parts always appeared below other items on the same layer.

From the description you may have simply been seeing parts of the body that were not hiding correctly. I am unsure as to just how tightly mesh bodies hug the underlying System Avatar but would hazard a guess that in this case what was poking through were bits that did not fully match the mesh body's interpretation of your Skin.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

While a skin can define your details, it is not always the best or only route to do so. The Tattoo Layer can be used just as the label implies (for Tattoos) but it can also be used for a fair bit more as can be seen in my attached screenshot. My actual Tattoo for the pictured "outfit" is in actuality the Universal item labeled as Sacred geometry and the actual Tattoo layer is being used for ... other things.

for some of my older, more Masc forms, the Tattoo layer was often used as a way to help define muscle beyond what was painted directly on the skin.

The only times I have ever had issues with the Tattoo layer (or the Universal for that matter) were when wearing more than one on that same layer. At that point I had to go into the Outfit floater and its third tab (Worn, I think) to alter the current outfit's layer order for that layer (which I know you can do in Firestorm and pretty sure is a standard feature of every Viewer) so as to ensure that certain parts always appeared below other items on the same layer.

From the description you may have simply been seeing parts of the body that were not hiding correctly. I am unsure as to just how tightly mesh bodies hug the underlying System Avatar but would hazard a guess that in this case what was poking through were bits that did not fully match the mesh body's interpretation of your Skin.

I see now, the "tattoo" layer "squiggle" is a tiny representation of a stereotypical dragon (or tribal?) tattoo.

I do notice that in your Firestorm screen shot, the icon for "skin" is different than mine in the SL viewer - different enough that I couldn't pick it out.

Guess I'll learn also what differences the "Universal" items make, vs. "tattoos", vs. "skins".  If I understand correctly, my "skin" had "tattoos" on it, instead of using a normal separate "tattoo".  That was the primary cause of my issues.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I see now, the "tattoo" layer "squiggle" is a tiny representation of a stereotypical dragon (or tribal?) tattoo.

I do notice that in your Firestorm screen shot, the icon for "skin" is different than mine in the SL viewer - different enough that I couldn't pick it out.

Guess I'll learn also what differences the "Universal" items make, vs. "tattoos", vs. "skins".  If I understand correctly, my "skin" had "tattoos" on it, instead of using a normal separate "tattoo".  That was the primary cause of my issues.

It's a heck of a mire to wade through - no matter one's presentation!

It's been quite a while but there was one point - when I still used "hybrid" type forms - wherein a had to use a Tiger Stripe Tattoo to add stripes to that form, no premade skin got what I was going for quite right! I had to make certain that the stripes always went below all other potential entries on the Tattoo layer!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

At that point I had to go into the Outfit floater and its third tab (Worn, I think) to alter the current outfit's layer order for that layer (which I know you can do in Firestorm and pretty sure is a standard feature of every Viewer) so as to ensure that certain parts always appeared below other items on the same layer.

I don't see a way to do that in the SL official viewer.  I "added" another layer (see highlighted item) and don't see any "move up/down/priority" options.

wearing.png

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't see a way to do that in the SL official viewer.  I "added" another layer (see highlighted item) and don't see any "move up/down/priority" options.

wearing.png

Try right clicking on any of those to see if it offers the option to "Edit Outfit" - that's what I have to hit to do so!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just be furry. 

(Note my first letter of the *lphbet is not working, so I have to choose my words oddly.)

9 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

*lphbet is not working, so I have to choose my words oddly.

as in "have"?  When my keyboard does funky things like that, I:

1. pick it up and whack it to shake all the cookie crumbs out of it

2. blow canned air into it

3. replace its batteries

4. curse a lot

5. replace the keyboard.

In that order, until it behaves.  Curiously, step #4 rarely fixes the keyboard but it helps me refocus and go to step #5, stopping at the trash can on the way to the store.

• Haha 3

My keyboard is part of a $L1500 Alienware laptop, so I'm not about to replace it right now.

Those other suggestions re good though.  🙂

Update:

I used a needle to clean around the A key, & picked out what is either a piece of husky fur or my own grey hair.  -   Keyboard works fine now.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
to add update
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Try right clicking on any of those to see if it offers the option to "Edit Outfit" - that's what I have to hit to do so!

Got it, thanks! I may have seen that years ago but not needed or used it. I'm like a n00b, but more "comprehension-challenged" than plain dumb!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Update:

I used a needle to clean around the A key, & picked out what is either a piece of husky fur or my own grey hair.  -   Keyboard works fine now.

I find Husky hair from 1-2 dogs ago. Is like glitter, the herpes of craft supplies.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I find Husky hair from 1-2 dogs ago.

Was having trouble with my keyboard a few weeks ago.  Took a toothpick and ran it between all of the long rows of keys and pulled out enough hair to make a cat or two.  I had a long talk with my Charlie kitty about that -- he's the one that likes to sit on my computer desk and swish his tale across the keyboard.  Needless to say he gave me that "Yeah, so what?" look.

• Like 4