15 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Is it just me being ageist or does this avatar not look about 10 yrs old?

10 is generous, I'd halve that. 

I also don't get what's attractive or 'kinky' about plasters, but that might just be me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Orwar said:

10 is generous, I'd halve that. 

I also don't get what's attractive or 'kinky' about plasters, but that might just be me. 

I couldn't see what the other ones said on them.  I'm sure Waifu was probably the least kinky one to stick on an obviously under age avatar?  

20 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Points for the elf ears, I guess?

No points for elf ears from me.  I get that elves are ageless and all that but using that as an excuse for that ad won't fly, sorry.

• Like 5

I don't know whether I am peeved at the world, or peeved at myself, or just peeved. I finally canceled my subscription to the local newspaper, after more than 20 years. It had gotten thin, publishing news that I had already learned from the radio, the Internet, or the New York Times two days earlier. Two thirds of it had become ad space for shops I visit regularly anyway or ones that I have zero interest in ever visiting.  All of that ... and they have raised the price every year for the past decade. I sat here at breakfast today thinking that the only section I miss is the comics.  I hate having contributed to the demise of yet another small-town newspaper, but I'm also peeved at them for not being the paper they used to be. And I hate being an old fuddy-duddy. And it's raining. Again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

No points for elf ears from me.  I get that elves are ageless and all that but using that as an excuse for that ad won't fly, sorry.

I've seen so, so so, sosososososo much worse in event advertising that maybe I'm just not really fazed by it anymore. I find the advertising in a majority of those adult events to be pretty obnoxious in general. Took a quick peek at a few current event galleries and yeah...

I was snarking about the ears, though. That's the usual go-to when trying to skirt around the issue. Quick - toss some pointy ears on it, it'll be fiiiinnneee.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I don't know whether I am peeved at the world, or peeved at myself, or just peeved. I finally canceled my subscription to the local newspaper, after more than 20 years. It had gotten thin, publishing news that I had already learned from the radio, the Internet, or the New York Times two days earlier. Two thirds of it had become ad space for shops I visit regularly anyway or ones that I have zero interest in ever visiting.  All of that ... and they have raised the price every year for the past decade. I sat here at breakfast today thinking that the only section I miss is the comics.  I hate having contributed to the demise of yet another small-town newspaper, but I'm also peeved at them for not being the paper they used to be. And I hate being an old fuddy-duddy. And it's raining. Again.

I grew up without TV, but with the NY Times on the kitchen table every morning and NPR on the radio all day long. When I moved to Milwaukee during graduate school and married into a television set I discovered that local news, print or televised, was day old bread.

In the 90s, I became a semi regular contributor of weather/nature photography to one of the local network TV stations. As a thank you, I was invited to tour the station. During the tour, I asked the news anchor how much autonomy the local crew had. I was a little surprised by his response, not because he was irritated by my question, but because he refuted the idea that there was any corporate control. I made things worse by expressing dismay that some nebulous corporation was not responsible for the station's local coverage.

Years later, that station's weather man (the channel for my photography) retired into my neighborhood. I've kidded him about the station's breathless reporting of impending doomsday weather. "Yeah, the network made it pretty clear that fear sells. I'm happy to be in retirement, enjoying snow days as much as my grandchildren."

I think it's fair for you to accept some blame for the demise of your local paper. I'll take some blame for never contributing to mine. We shouldn't take all the blame, however. Changing technology has allowed large corporations to exploit both economies of scale and human nature to deliver what we didn't know we wanted... dopamine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

I sat here at breakfast today thinking that the only section I miss is the comics. 

I recommend "comics.com" (redirects now to GoComics.com).  They seem to have all of the newspaper comics and, if you pay then you get a customized daily list.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I was snarking about the ears, though. That's the usual go-to when trying to skirt around the issue. Quick - toss some pointy ears on it, it'll be fiiiinnneee.

"I may look young but I'm actually 350 years old"  ... profile quote

Edited by missyrideout
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

Which is totally fine anywhere but in ad ADULT advertisement at an adult event.  I have no issue with anyone looking however they'd like.  It's SL!  Be whomever or whatever you want!

The one and only issue I have is things like that vendor pic.  That is not alright.  If it were an ad at FaMeshed for earrings or skin or makeup/add ons, that's perfectly ok.  That avatar with a Waifu bandage at Kinky?  No

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

They're trying to give us great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandma issues. I bet she smells like Ben-Gay, Dove soap, and old patchouli of course. 

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I wonder if he's peeved about that hilarious wayward feather.

Have you ever seen "Angel wings of death" out in the snow?...
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYuNZL_v6w7jIFBq4e3r8

Those will make you think.

Hawk, probably red tailed, snatched a hare. Deer are too big for hawks. Deer went through first traveling in the opposite direction of the hare.

Did I miss anything?

Edit: Oh. Deer was most likely a young buck. Maybe 4 pointer.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Hawk, probably red tailed, snatched a hare. Deer are too big for hawks. Deer went through first traveling in the opposite direction of the hare.

Did I miss anything?

Did the deer back out the way it came?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Did I miss anything?

So, owl was peeved that someone else got the meal? 

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Did I miss anything?

I've never seen such a clean wing print in my yard. I've seen both owls and hawks swoop in for lunch, and I've heard an owl eating a bunny on my chimney at 2AM. The prints I've seen in my yard have indicated tussles on the ground rather than the clean sweeps I've seen during daylight.

Long ago I saw what I think were eagle prints in the snow on the beach, where I imagine it snatched a seagull. It was a fairly clean print wider than I could reach, with a distinctive tail strike. I've also directly seen an eagle snatch a gull off the water. During alewife die-offs, gulls would crowd the beach and eagles would crash the party. Eagles were rare then, but alewife die-offs were not. Now the alewife populations are (thankfully) way down, and the eagle population is (thankfully) way up.

ETA: I agree with your assessment. The arc of the wings favors raptor over owl and the deer was clearly going opposite the hare. I've never seen prey tracks escape an angel of death print, have you?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I had a similar pet peeve about my own local weekly newspaper, was about to stop taking it and then the very next week it was a really "juicy" one, including a two page article that involved some of my ancestors, purely coincidentally, and their work to combat a previous pandemic (small pox).  

The rain will pass. We will always be fuddy-duddies though I expect :/ 

My own pet peeve this day is that time is not a constant, it zooms by out of control. Even though I took a few weeks away from forums and most social media, as I had blamed all of that for stealing my time, time still zoomed out of control. I signed up for an all-you-can-read package containing a vast variety of magazines and newspapers and even if I were retired, I would not have enough time to read through all the titles I want to. But I sure am getting my moneysworth. 

15 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

ETA: I agree with your assessment. The arc of the wings favors raptor over owl and the deer was clearly going opposite the hare. I've never prey tracks escape an angel of death print, have you?

I've seen it once or twice in my lifetime due to human interference. It wasn't intentional. 🥴