SecondLife finally acknowledged as foundational Metaverse !

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I kind of hope they stay under the radar.. kind of like the musicians that never do interviews but get mentioned by everyone else..

Stay as mysterious as you can, act like you don't care about what the others are doing, keep on keeping on.. hehehehe

Let the others keep messing up on their own.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I kind of hope they stay under the radar.. kind of like the musicians that never do interviews but get mentioned by everyone else..

Stay as mysterious as you can, act like you don't care about what the others are doing, keep on keeping on.. hehehehe

I would love to see some more publicity for Second Life. I mean I feel like its some niche underground thing, that should be able to spread its wings and impact so many more lives in a meaningful way. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

There's something to be said for this thought. For me, I wanted to be in SL many years ago. I dismissed the whole thing as some sort of cultish online experiment. But last April 2021... changed my mind and joined, and then before the year ended, I also signed up in Open Sim via OSgrid.

Do SL and Open Sim feel mysterious to me still, after eighteen months? It does, probably more so for OS IMO as their cast of characters seems to be even more bizarre, maybe due to griefers who occasionally f**k with the lack of some security measures that are in SL but anyway. Both places generally have awesome people, and that's what keeps me in the fold.

I guess I'm turning into a SL/Open Sim fangirl lol

Edited by JeromFranzic
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I would love to see some more publicity for Second Life. I mean I feel like its some niche underground thing, that should be able to spread its wings and impact so many more lives in a meaningful way. 

I think the more the other verses talk about  second life, the less they have to spend on advertising..  It's the kind of mystery man advertising that gets right into the curiosity of others.. All of a sudden everyone whats to know who they really are.. hehehehe

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I'm still in the boat about not wanting the facebookers using SL or the fortnite or roblox people here.  it will just ruin the platform trying to accommodate that mindset.

We already have been part of SL for quite awhile. So what is this "mindset" you're speaking of? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I'm still in the boat about not wanting the facebookers using SL or the fortnite or roblox people here.  it will just ruin the platform trying to accommodate that mindset.

Sadly we need them, or anyone for that matter. Preferably in vast numbers.

I really don't care who they are or where they came from, just so long as they show up, do the thing, spend the L$ and have fun. Whatever their background we will ruin them equally.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

In my view SL doesn't need to advertise itself to those actually into computers and digital art etc because they will find it themselves .

I'm not one of those people so for me SL is the chatroom of the future .

Anonymous, so no subject is out of bounds . It gives legs to people who can't walk . A voice to those who have nobody to tell .

Some of these people will be you 20 , 30, 40 years ago and while coming to chat and play will be enamoured by the creativity , set on a path to become digital developers themselves .

Someone else mentioned the torture of being laid up in a hospital bed for a year . It took them about 5 years to rebuild me and not once during all that time did it occur to me that i might find some distraction on a computer beyond browsing classic cars i would never buy on ebay .

In a photoshopped world finding real people who might accept SL is more than just a game is going to be difficult , which is crazy given we are talking by far the largest demography of people on the planet - people who need a friend .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The next evolutionary step for virtual worlds/metaverses should not be dumb plastic things on your body, but something that focuses on content. I truly hope that Meta will keep tussling with VR goggles, mining your data and your soul, selling you out to ad companies and bleeding billions by doing so, while the grown ups focus on quality content.

I hope that, somewhere in my lifetime, content for virtual worlds can be created similar to how memories are created in Blade Runner 2049. And with AI content generation tools like DALL-E 2 around the corner, it's might not even be as technically distant as the following scene from Blade Runner suggests:

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

7 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

The next evolutionary step for virtual worlds/metaverses should not be dumb plastic things on your body, but something that focuses on content. I truly hope that Meta will keep tussling with VR goggles, mining your data and your soul, selling you out to ad companies and bleeding billions by doing so, while the grown ups focus on quality content.

With Facebook, the product is the users, not the content, but VR interfaces more directly with user neurology and cognition in ways therapists have only begun exploring and applying (perhaps due to funding or ethnical constraints.) It seems like it has the potential to really allow the central modification of human wetware in a way that was never possible with broadcast mass media, motion picture, and traditional video gaming because there's no forth wall, because the feedback loops might be as tight as 120Hz, and because AI can be applied in new ways to physiology and cognition.

I feel like all the elements of this story are sitting out in plain view and it's clear to see that  it's far too perilous to allow operators like this an opportunity to develop the technology any further, or to tempt world authorities into new interactive paradigms of top-down societal monitoring and 'soft' control. Basically, what if it has the potential to be applied like TAS (tool assisted speedrun) is applied by some in the speedrun scene to exploit console hardware, but instead directed to users bodys/brains via VR interface hardware and proprietary corporate AI? 

Let's not forget:

Facebook’s Emotional Manipulation Study Is Just the Latest Effort to Prod Users
With emotion-triggering effort, Facebook pushes beyond data-driven studies on voting, sharing, and organ-donation prompts, to make people feel good or bad.

By David Talbotarchive
July 1, 2014

With huge amounts of data flooding in from more than a billion users, the company has a unique position to study their every move, and to perform experiments by measuring how behavior changes under different conditions (see “What Facebook Knows”) ...  in the past three years it has also been probing everything from voting to the effect of encouraging people to make organ donations.

The recent study, done in January 2012 but published only recently, hit a nerve partly because it had a negative effect on some users, but also because the affected users were not asked for permission to participate (agreeing to Facebook’s terms and conditions was taken as consent).

(from https://www.technologyreview.com/2014/07/01/172175/facebooks-emotional-manipulation-study-is-just-the-latest-effort-to-prod-users/)

Edited by Brightstar7777
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I hope that, somewhere in my lifetime, content for virtual worlds can be created similar to how memories are created in Blade Runner 2049. And with AI content generation tools like DALL-E 2 around the corner, it's might not even be as technically distant as the following scene from Blade Runner suggests:

Erm. Warner Bros says no we can't watch this.

image.thumb.png.d087a68740b97d3db49e148055163a9c.png

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.